Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homeseer Event

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Homeseer Event

    OK... so will this work. What i want is to turn all my lights off when there hasnt been any motion in the house for 30min.
    Will the following work because the house has been vacant for over an hour and it didnt trigger!
    Does it wait for the first rule to be true before it goes to the next one??......if it does then obviously it will be hours before it triggers (and possibly why it didnt trigger when the house was vacant for an hour).
    Do you good people have a better way (event) of doing this??

    Thanks in advance
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-23 HomeSeer Web Control - Ev .png
Views:	58
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	1294422

  • #2
    Originally posted by oldrolla View Post
    OK... so will this work. What i want is to turn all my lights off when there hasnt been any motion in the house for 30min.
    Will the following work because the house has been vacant for over an hour and it didnt trigger!
    Does it wait for the first rule to be true before it goes to the next one??......if it does then obviously it will be hours before it triggers (and possibly why it didnt trigger when the house was vacant for an hour).
    Do you good people have a better way (event) of doing this??
    The first condition after the first IF is the "Trigger", everything else are conditions that are checked after that "trigger" is triggered. So in your case, that event will only fire when the first motion deteector goes off, and then only if all of the follwoing conditions are also true.

    To do this poperly, you will need to have multiple events (IFs, or use "OrIf's") to have multiple triggers, one for each of the motion detectors. Note that when using an "OrIf", you must repeat all of the conditions that are relevent to that "OrIf".

    Complicated? Sure! There is an "Event Clinic" on this board that explains it quite better than I can:

    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...3-event-clinic

    The user "rprade" has created a bunch of tutorials on events and If statements. Check those out.

    Comment


    • #3
      The if is the trigger. It must happen before any of the conditions(and if statements) are evaluated. The then will only happen when the If triggers the evaluation of the and if statements and all the and if statements are true.
      HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
      Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
      Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by oldrolla View Post
        OK... so will this work. What i want is to turn all my lights off when there hasnt been any motion in the house for 30min.
        Will the following work because the house has been vacant for over an hour and it didnt trigger!
        Does it wait for the first rule to be true before it goes to the next one??......if it does then obviously it will be hours before it triggers (and possibly why it didnt trigger when the house was vacant for an hour).
        Do you good people have a better way (event) of doing this??
        There's nothing wrong with your approach and I have events that are basically identical (see below). In my case I control a virtual device that then is used with other scripts. I also use that virtual device as a condition to make sure the event does not keep executing due to the use of "at least". However your last "And If" statement is incomplete and is likely preventing the event from executing.

        Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	1294486
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by aa6vh View Post

          The first condition after the first IF is the "Trigger", everything else are conditions that are checked after that "trigger" is triggered. So in your case, that event will only fire when the first motion deteector goes off, and then only if all of the follwoing conditions are also true.

          To do this poperly, you will need to have multiple events (IFs, or use "OrIf's") to have multiple triggers, one for each of the motion detectors. Note that when using an "OrIf", you must repeat all of the conditions that are relevent to that "OrIf".
          Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
          The if is the trigger. It must happen before any of the conditions(and if statements) are evaluated. The then will only happen when the If triggers the evaluation of the and if statements and all the and if statements are true.
          Because of the use of "at least", the first IF will continually trigger the event after that period of time, so the approach is fine. See the screen shot of a similar event that I have been using successfully for years.
          HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sparkman View Post

            There's nothing wrong with your approach and I have events that are basically identical (see below). In my case I control a virtual device that then is used with other scripts. I also use that virtual device as a condition to make sure the event does not keep executing due to the use of "at least". However your last "And If" statement is incomplete and is likely preventing the event from executing.

            Click image for larger version Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	1294486
            sparkman,

            An interesting approach and it is probably perfectly ok, but personally I would be uncomfortable having this sort of event with the 'at least' trigger. Once no motion exceeds an hour it is triggering every second even though, as you say, the virtual device condition prevents any actions repeating.
            Now, that is probably just me and I don't have any secret knowledge of how the HS event engine works, but I would worry that there is an overhead in evaluating all those conditions every second. I don't think I have ever seen an official comment from HS as to whether there is a significant overhead in evaluating a series of conditions. However, each of those conditions is a value of a device which has to be retrieved from a large database.

            I have an aversion to the 'at least' triggers that I probably need therapy for

            Steve

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

              sparkman,

              An interesting approach and it is probably perfectly ok, but personally I would be uncomfortable having this sort of event with the 'at least' trigger. Once no motion exceeds an hour it is triggering every second even though, as you say, the virtual device condition prevents any actions repeating.
              Now, that is probably just me and I don't have any secret knowledge of how the HS event engine works, but I would worry that there is an overhead in evaluating all those conditions every second. I don't think I have ever seen an official comment from HS as to whether there is a significant overhead in evaluating a series of conditions. However, each of those conditions is a value of a device which has to be retrieved from a large database.

              I have an aversion to the 'at least' triggers that I probably need therapy for

              Steve
              Hi Steve, as far as I understand, all events are pretty much continually evaluated, so I don't believe there's any more impact for this type of event versus others. I have quite a few events where I use "at least", and my system is idling along with about 1984 devices and 1115 events right now.

              Cheers
              Al
              HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sparkman View Post

                Hi Steve, as far as I understand, all events are pretty much continually evaluated, so I don't believe there's any more impact for this type of event versus others. I have quite a few events where I use "at least", and my system is idling along with about 1984 devices and 1115 events right now.

                Cheers
                Al
                Yes, it's probably just me, although evaluating triggers is one thing whereas testing all the conditions is another. However, the proof is in the pudding and if you have no delays or instability with you system then there's nothing to worry about.

                Steve

                Comment


                • #9
                  I agree with Steve, in that one should always ensure that a trigger based on time should be based only on a moment in time. I do believe HS has algorithms to make event trigger checking more efficient when it does not have to repeatedly fire a trigger. Of course, any degradation of performance could be unnoticed by any observer. I would be interested in hearing what HS says about that.

                  As I understand the OP, he wants to do stuff after every motion detector has been off for at least 30 minutes. I would do this by using two events, as follows:

                  Event Alpha

                  If this event is manually triggered // The trigger
                  AndIf MotionA has been off for at least 30m // The conditions
                  AndIf MotionB has been off for at least 30m
                  AndIf MotionC has been off for at least 30m
                  ...
                  Then <do stuff>

                  Event Bravo

                  If MotionA has been off for exactly 30m
                  OrIf MotionB has been off for exactly 30m
                  OrIf MotionC has been off for exactly 30m
                  ...
                  Then
                  If Event Condtions are true, run event Alpha

                  Note: Manually started events ignore any conditions specified, unless that "If Event Conditions are True" check box is checked.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For extra credit, and building on the above: Suppose one also wants to do something additional when home, and something else when not home. Assuming a Virtual Device "Occupied" with the status values of "Home", "Away", and "Vacation", I would add two more events:

                    Event Charlie

                    If this event is manually triggered
                    AndIf Virtual Device "Occupied" = "Home"
                    Then <do home stuff>

                    Event Delta

                    If this event is manually triggered
                    AndIf Virtual Device "Occupied" = "Away"
                    OrIf this event is manually triggered
                    AndIf Virutal Device "Occupied" = "Vacation"
                    Then <do not home stuff>

                    Then add the following two actions to event Alpha:

                    If Event Conditions are true, run event Charlie
                    If Event Conditions are true, run event Delta

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                      I do believe HS has algorithms to make event trigger checking more efficient when it does not have to repeatedly fire a trigger. Of course, any degradation of performance could be unnoticed by any observer. I would be interested in hearing what HS says about that.
                      If it would have a significant impact on the system, they would not have made it available as a trigger. But if you prefer the Rube Goldberg way...
                      HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by oldrolla View Post
                        OK... so will this work. What i want is to turn all my lights off when there hasnt been any motion in the house for 30min.
                        Will the following work because the house has been vacant for over an hour and it didnt trigger!
                        Does it wait for the first rule to be true before it goes to the next one??......if it does then obviously it will be hours before it triggers (and possibly why it didnt trigger when the house was vacant for an hour).
                        Do you good people have a better way (event) of doing this??

                        Thanks in advance
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-23 HomeSeer Web Control - Ev .png
Views:	58
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	1294422
                        Maybe the simplest way, with little worry about the "overhead" of trigger evaluation is:

                        1) Time Trigger every 5 minutes
                        2) Followed by all the "AndIf's" for no-motion for 30 minutes
                        3) "Then" turn off lights

                        Then worst case the lights will turn off in 35 minutes after last no-motion.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for all your responses....much appreciated.
                          Am tweaking things at the moment as i now have a better understanding of how the things work.

                          Cheers,

                          Oldrolla.

                          Edit...found why my original event wasnt working. Had a rogue sensor (Aeotec Multisensor 6) that had died or locked up after sending the motion command and HS stayed that way (in constant motion). Changed the batteries and all good. Have modified my event as per all your input.....thanks

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X