Dryer and washer event for on and off status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryer and washer event for on and off status

Could anyone share their events to figure out when the dryer and washer are on and off. I have Easy trigger but I'm not sure how to create an event using it.

Thanks,
    Aldo

Do you have power sensors on the washer and dryer? What do you want to do with the events? Notify you? Email, pushover, blink a light?
    HS 3.0.0.532: 1963 Devices 1141 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.261: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Until recently, I had DS10s connected thru small relays to the washer and dryer. We just bought a new set though and I'm not allowed to hack them; YET .
      I'm thinking of perhaps using the same DS10's with current transformers instead.
      For the noobs, a DS10 is an older X10RF door/window sensor. I bought a lifetime supply of these as well as motion sensors and palmpads before X10 stopped selling them. Any Door/Window sensor would work however. All you need is a dry contact to activate it.
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I use a smartplug (Wifi) that has energy monitoring. Examples are Sonoff S31, WS212, Slitinto NX-SP201, BN-Link BNC-60. I setup a pair of Tasmota rules that report when the washer is done and has started. The determination of "Done" is based upon energy use that has sopped for 600 seconds. The 600 was determined by looking at data collected for energy use at the smartplug during washing cycles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Washing.png
Views:	105
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1298958
        Code:
        Rule2 0
        Rule2 on ENERGY#POWER>100 do backlog publish notify/cmnd/LED1 001000; rule2 0 endon

Rule1 on ENERGY#POWER>100 do ruletimer1 600 endon on rules#timer=1 do backlog  publish notify/cmnd/LED1 100000; rule2 1 endon
        Rule1 1
        HS received the notification message (notify/cmnd/LED1 with payload RGB Green=Start, Red=Done) in this case. The message is also seen by a notification frame that will change LED1 to the appropriate color.

The first rule's primary purpose is to handle the case for the second and subsequent loads of laundry. If a new load has started then the notification reminder that laundry is done is removed. The second rule is to set the notification that a load has completed.

This is more fully described in http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf Section 14.10 page 175.

Comment

i haven't tried this yet but im thinking of doing my stove and i was thinking the homeseer HS-FS100-L that Hs just came out with would be easy and good start

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...ve-flex-sensor

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            Do you have power sensors on the washer and dryer? What do you want to do with the events? Notify you? Email, pushover, blink a light?
            Sorry, I was to generic, I have a power sensor that register watts, voltage and etc. I has setup a virtual sensor for both the dryer and the washer. I would like to know when they are on (washing or dry) or off.
            Both of they vary of values, they start with 10 watts and they go to 800, in between they go to 0 for few seconds.

Thanks,
            Aldo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

ok Sorry ,i know HS3 advertises it for washer/dryers but it would take 1 of those sensors for each to possibly work...
              https://www.lg.com/us/discover/smartthinq/laundry.jsp

Comment

Sorry, I was to generic, I have a power sensor that register watts, voltage and etc. I has setup a virtual sensor for both the dryer and the washer. I would like to know when they are on (washing or dry) or off.
                Both of they vary of values, they start with 10 watts and they go to 800, in between they go to 0 for few seconds.
                Same approach I used with smartplug can be used here. Set a timer (e.g. 10 mins) when power exceeds ON threshold. When the timer expires the wash is done. As it goes through its cycles it will be constantly resetting the timer.

Comment

Jumping off on this, I'm new to homeseer but I'm trying write some events that help notify me when laundry have been sitting in the washing machine for too long. So currently I have an energy monitor on the washing machine, and I have a contact sensor on the door. I can write an event that will notify me when the washing machine is finished. But what I want to do next is have more notifications sent IF the contact sensor status doesn't change -- in other words, I want to be notified when I haven't gone and opened the door to put the laundry in the dryer. That make sense? What's the cleanest way to write this?

Comment

How are you being notified? email? Audio? Display?

What I see the door sensor being use is to clear the notification that the washing machine was done. This is only applicable if the notification persists until cleared so something like email or audio are not types of notifications that can be cleared.

If the notification is based upon a virtual device status then the door sensor activation results in the virtual device being cleared. This independent of what the energy monitor is reporting. The energy report of washing machine done would set the same virtual device.

If your concept is to receive multiple notifications at some interval until the door is opened then you will be using a recurring event that is conditioned on the virtual device that I described above.

Comment

Originally posted by houseforus View Post
                      Jumping off on this, I'm new to homeseer but I'm trying write some events that help notify me when laundry have been sitting in the washing machine for too long. So currently I have an energy monitor on the washing machine, and I have a contact sensor on the door. I can write an event that will notify me when the washing machine is finished. But what I want to do next is have more notifications sent IF the contact sensor status doesn't change -- in other words, I want to be notified when I haven't gone and opened the door to put the laundry in the dryer. That make sense? What's the cleanest way to write this?
                      This is the event I use to accomplish this. I have a virtual device set up for the washer and dryer that display if they are running or not running. I set a counter to "1" when the washing machine has finished (power drops below XX for a specific length of time), then I reset the counter to "0" when the washer door has been opened. The notification is sent every 10 minutes because of the "Cannot Re-run" section i have highlighted. This could be adjusted to any time interval.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Washing Machine Finished Push Notification.JPG Views:	1 Size:	135.2 KB ID:	1299382

Comment

So yes, this is for a secondary reminder so we don't forget and the wet clothes sour. I have a power monitor on the washing machine, so when watts drops to 0, it sends me an email to SMS. That's the first notification. But I'm forgetful, what can I say.

So basically, after the washing machine has already turned off and the door still hasn't opened after an hour, I want to prompt an email to myself. Then at the second hour, another. Then after the third, and so on, until the door opens on the washing machine.

Comment

Originally posted by jmedemar View Post

This is the event I use to accomplish this. I have a virtual device set up for the washer and dryer that display if they are running or not running. I set a counter to "1" when the washing machine has finished (power drops below XX for a specific length of time), then I reset the counter to "0" when the washer door has been opened. The notification is sent every 10 minutes because of the "Cannot Re-run" section i have highlighted. This could be adjusted to any time interval.

Click image for larger version Name:	Washing Machine Finished Push Notification.JPG Views:	1 Size:	135.2 KB ID:	1299382
                          I think I understand this. But I've never done a counter so that would be new. I have a virtual device set up already that is the status of the washing machine (On or Off) based on whether any Watts are being used.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                            How are you being notified? email? Audio? Display?

What I see the door sensor being use is to clear the notification that the washing machine was done. This is only applicable if the notification persists until cleared so something like email or audio are not types of notifications that can be cleared.

If the notification is based upon a virtual device status then the door sensor activation results in the virtual device being cleared. This independent of what the energy monitor is reporting. The energy report of washing machine done would set the same virtual device.

If your concept is to receive multiple notifications at some interval until the door is opened then you will be using a recurring event that is conditioned on the virtual device that I described above.
                            Michael, sorry for the delay. I can not use the timer because I have a database that records every device including timers. This is what I have so far as an event. Simple things like these, I'm having so much hard time with :-(

Comment

We have a Brultech GEM that monitors all of our breaker panel circuits and have some Zooz smart strips or Aeotec smart switches on all of our home entertainment and many other devices. We are able to break down usage of any device in the house.

Our dryer is easy, it draws at least 100 watts (up to 5KW when the heater is running) while the drum motor and blower are running so two events will suffice:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.PNG Views:	1 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	1299414

Other items such as the refrigerator, coffee maker, freezers and washing machine have variable periods of very low or absent current draw. For those I use 4 Events and a timer. For the washing machine a timer limit of 1 minutes will suffice, for the deep freezers I use 45 minutes. Here are the washing machine events:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	1299416
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.PNG Views:	1 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	1299415

All of the monitored appliances have their own virtual devices. I use the virtual devices as the trigger in notification Events. For the washer and dryer a Pushover message is sent. We also have several of our HS-WD200+ dimmers and a Hue light in a night light in the living room. The dimmers and light are set to blue when the washing machine is running, red when the dryer is running and magenta when both are running. We also run a Sonos announcement as either the washing machine or dryer finishes a cycle. The announcements are:
                              • The dryer just finished, the washing machine is stopped
                              • The washing machine just finished, the dryer is stopped
                              • The dryer just finished, the washing machine is running
                              • The washing machine just finished, the dryer is running
                              This way my wife knows when she needs to trek to the basement based on clothes that are in the washer/dryer. This system has worked reliably for more than 4 years and was easy to adjust for new laundry appliances last year. It is the single piece of home automation that my wife really appreciates.

Here are all of the virtual devices:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	110
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1299430
                              Randy Prade
                              Aurora, CO
                              Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Working...
                              X