Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dryer and washer event for on and off status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    I use a smartplug (Wifi) that has energy monitoring. Examples are Sonoff S31, WS212, Slitinto NX-SP201, BN-Link BNC-60. I setup a pair of Tasmota rules .... <snip>
    You really have piqued my interest. Is anybody doing this in a manner that is more plug-and-play and less DIY? IT looks like Wi-Fi equipment is 1/2 or less than the price of Z-Wave.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

    Enabled Plug-Ins:
    2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by rprade View Post
      We have a Brultech GEM that monitors all of our breaker panel circuits and have some Zooz smart strips or Aeotec smart switches on all of our home entertainment and many other devices. We are able to break down usage of any device in the house.

      Our dryer is easy, it draws at least 100 watts (up to 5KW when the heater is running) while the drum motor and blower are running so two events will suffice:

      Click image for larger version Name:	Capture2.PNG Views:	1 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	1299414

      Other items such as the refrigerator, coffee maker, freezers and washing machine have variable periods of very low or absent current draw. For those I use 4 Events and a timer. For the washing machine a timer limit of 1 minutes will suffice, for the deep freezers I use 45 minutes. Here are the washing machine events:

      Click image for larger version Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	1299416
      Click image for larger version Name:	Capture1.PNG Views:	1 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	1299415

      All of the monitored appliances have their own virtual devices. I use the virtual devices as the trigger in notification Events. For the washer and dryer a Pushover message is sent. We also have several of our HS-WD200+ dimmers and a Hue light in a night light in the living room. The dimmers and light are set to blue when the washing machine is running, red when the dryer is running and magenta when both are running. We also run a Sonos announcement as either the washing machine or dryer finishes a cycle. The announcements are:
      • The dryer just finished, the washing machine is stopped
      • The washing machine just finished, the dryer is stopped
      • The dryer just finished, the washing machine is running
      • The washing machine just finished, the dryer is running
      This way my wife knows when she needs to trek to the basement based on clothes that are in the washer/dryer. This system has worked reliably for more than 4 years and was easy to adjust for new laundry appliances last year. It is the single piece of home automation that my wife really appreciates.

      Here are all of the virtual devices:

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1299430
      Thank you, very appreciated. My issue is with the washer, I can see the values of zero during the wash for few seconds and I can not use the timer since it will give issue with a database that I have that records all my devices status. I was trying to use easytrigger but I do not understand how it will fit my need.
      Thanks again.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by rprade View Post
        We have a Brultech GEM that monitors all of our breaker panel circuits and have some Zooz smart strips or Aeotec smart switches on all of our home entertainment and many other devices. We are able to break down usage of any device in the house.

        Our dryer is easy, it draws at least 100 watts (up to 5KW when the heater is running) while the drum motor and blower are running so two events will suffice:

        Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.PNG Views:	1 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	1299414

        Other items such as the refrigerator, coffee maker, freezers and washing machine have variable periods of very low or absent current draw. For those I use 4 Events and a timer. For the washing machine a timer limit of 1 minutes will suffice, for the deep freezers I use 45 minutes. Here are the washing machine events:

        Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	1299416
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.PNG Views:	1 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	1299415

        All of the monitored appliances have their own virtual devices. I use the virtual devices as the trigger in notification Events. For the washer and dryer a Pushover message is sent. We also have several of our HS-WD200+ dimmers and a Hue light in a night light in the living room. The dimmers and light are set to blue when the washing machine is running, red when the dryer is running and magenta when both are running. We also run a Sonos announcement as either the washing machine or dryer finishes a cycle. The announcements are:
        • The dryer just finished, the washing machine is stopped
        • The washing machine just finished, the dryer is stopped
        • The dryer just finished, the washing machine is running
        • The washing machine just finished, the dryer is running
        This way my wife knows when she needs to trek to the basement based on clothes that are in the washer/dryer. This system has worked reliably for more than 4 years and was easy to adjust for new laundry appliances last year. It is the single piece of home automation that my wife really appreciates.

        Here are all of the virtual devices:

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1299430
        Are you using a plugin to connect to the Brultech? Is it similar to the Sense device? How are you figuring out which device is drawing the power?


        Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        HS3 3.0.0.500 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 782 Devices, 479 Events
        Plugin's:
        BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
        EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
        weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

        Comment


        • #19
          This has been a lot of help. Now my bigger problem is I cannot get the Homeseer contact sensor to stay adhered to the door of my washing machine. The door has a curved edge and the flat contact sensor magnet doesn't like to stay stuck there.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by The Profit View Post

            Are you using a plugin to connect to the Brultech? Is it similar to the Sense device? How are you figuring out which device is drawing the power?


            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            I use Randy's UltraECM plug-in. The GEM has 32 channels. This covers all 30 breakers plus two channels for our whole house generator. Since the washing machine, dryer, microwave and dishwasher are on dedicated circuits, they are easy. The Coffee maker is plugged into a smart switch as are all TVs, receivers, subwoofers and HTPCs. I graphed the energy usage for all the devices to establish baseline power consumption for all the devices. After that it was easy to configure events to control the virtual devices reflecting the appliance status.
            Randy Prade
            Aurora, CO
            Prades.net

            PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

            Comment


            • #21
              ewkearns I do not think you will find Consumer products other than those that interface with a cloud-based server and typically a smartphsmartphone. This is where the mass market is today to get the volume high and drive price down.

              The hardware is all very similar so same custom firmware can be installed on any. I am willing to put firmware into these that interfaces with HS. Shipping cost is all you would need to cover. For new devices it would be cheaper for me to purchase to avoid one shipping charge.

              Comment


              • #22
                Randy slow question re GEM how did you connect your device so that HS3 can monitor via the PI?
                Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
                Op System: Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
                HS Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

                Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by houseforus View Post
                  This has been a lot of help. Now my bigger problem is I cannot get the Homeseer contact sensor to stay adhered to the door of my washing machine. The door has a curved edge and the flat contact sensor magnet doesn't like to stay stuck there.
                  Would flexible magnet strip be a strong enough magnet to work with that sensor? Alternately, would a very small "super" magnet work?
                  HS 3.0.0.532: 1963 Devices 1141 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.1.261: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by MNB View Post
                    Randy slow question re GEM how did you connect your device so that HS3 can monitor via the PI?
                    I ordered the GEM with Ethernet support. It connects over Ethernet.

                    Randy Prade
                    Aurora, CO
                    Prades.net

                    PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by rprade View Post
                      I ordered the GEM with Ethernet support. It connects over Ethernet.
                      I'm assuming that since I don't have Ethernet near my CrkBrkr box that WiFi should work OK also?

                      I currently using a Aeotec Smart Switch 6 for the washer and Aeotec ZW095-A for the Dryer sensing (which works OK) but figured that a GEM was the correct device to monitor all of my AC circuits and then use Smart Switches for selective components e.g. coffee maker, ect. as needed. Mike
                      Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
                      Op System: Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
                      HS Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

                      Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        They do offer Wi/Fi and it should be just fine..
                        Randy Prade
                        Aurora, CO
                        Prades.net

                        PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by jmedemar View Post

                          This is the event I use to accomplish this. I have a virtual device set up for the washer and dryer that display if they are running or not running. I set a counter to "1" when the washing machine has finished (power drops below XX for a specific length of time), then I reset the counter to "0" when the washer door has been opened. The notification is sent every 10 minutes because of the "Cannot Re-run" section i have highlighted. This could be adjusted to any time interval.

                          Click image for larger version Name:	Washing Machine Finished Push Notification.JPG Views:	1 Size:	135.2 KB ID:	1299382
                          What do you use to send push notifications?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by houseforus View Post

                            What do you use to send push notifications?
                            Also, how do you handle the counter? When to increment it to 1 or 0?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by houseforus View Post

                              Also, how do you handle the counter? When to increment it to 1 or 0?
                              I use HSBuddy for push notifications, and use Google Chromecasts and Echo devices for voice notifications.

                              I set the counter to 1 when the washer stops running (power usage below 5W). Then I set the counter to 0 when the washer door has been opened. That way the notifications stop once the wet clothes get moved to the dryer.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Whirlpool Front loader washer/Dryer set.

                                Washer uses a Aeon Switch module power consumption. Events to monitors power usage and when it drops below a certain amount and has ran for a minimum time it determines washer has stopped. Announcements over Sonos network speakers from HS plugin. Push notification via PushOver plugin.

                                Dryer is a CR magnetics current switch. It is a split core current transformer switch connected around the 1 leg of 240vac that is always high when dryer runs. Other legs has current draw off and on with heating element. Switch output connects to a zone on my Elk M1G alarm panel and HS announces and pushes out notices when dryer stops. Had this setup for last 10 years and is solid. Very good WAF.


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X