How to operate serial relay board with HS3pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to operate serial relay board with HS3pro

I have a relay board that works well with test software on my windows7 usb com port 3, but finding it difficult to locate a plug in so that it can be used by the HS3pro software running on same system. If you can help me out here, I would sure appreciate the input?
    Attached Files

There's this free plugin: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...r-hs3-by-drule
    Discussion thread for it is here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...cussion-thread
    HS 3.0.0.532: 1963 Devices 1141 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.261: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thank You Sparkman, I will try that and let you know how it how it went.

Comment

Another option is to search for some examples of scripts that are written to communicate with serial devices. I have one I modified to control my TV. Turn it on/off and switch input to HDMI1 are the only three commands used. It works directly from a script opening a comport (usb to rs232 dongle) on the HS machine and send the commands I need via events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank You srodgers, I'm thinking that is a little beyond my skill level at the moment, I'm still in learning the basics mode with Homeseer, but I will keep an eye out for a example. I was hoping that since Homeseer has been around for quit some time and also this 8 relay board, that there would be a"plug and play" type program that I could Finnish setting up each relay via HS3Touch Designer.

Comment

sparkman, I have tried to find this program on the available list drop down in hs3, but can not find it. I do see the program on the forum, but how do I get it into HS3?

Comment

BJB Open the zip file, copy the exe file to the root of the HS folder and copy the ini file to the Config subfolder. After that, go to the Plug-Ins - Manage page and it should be visible there to allow you to enable it.

Comment

Thank You! I will give it a try

Comment

ok, I have to that point, It chose the correct com port, could you possibly give me the setup to operate the relays?

Comment

Originally posted by BJB View Post
                    ok, I have to that point, It chose the correct com port, could you possibly give me the setup to operate the relays?
                    I have no idea what type of relay board it is nor what type of commands it is expecting. I'd suggest posting in the forum for that plugin and include a link to the manual.

Comment

OK, That's understandable, you would need to know all of that. i Don't have a board name, there is no labeling other than 8 relay board. ALL i know is that I downloaded a free program called "USB Relay" and after plugging in the com port 3, I'm able to click on all the buttons and all are working well. If anyone reading to this point and can help me get on the right path with the configuration it would be appreciated.
                      sparkman, thank you very much for your help, and for letting me know about this program.
                      Drule, if you should happen to read this post sometime, I Thank you very much. I have read most of the discussion link and can see you have worked very hard on this plugin. it looks to have a lot of flexibility. Thanks again to both of you!

Comment

I did a Google image search for "8 relay board" "serial port" and found one that looked the same that linked to this manual: https://sigma-shop.com/manuals/8relay_usb_manual.pdf. Looks like the commands would be pretty basic. You'd have to set the serial port settings in the plugin for COM3 to what it requires under "Serial Ports", and then create a connection to the board under "Connections", then create on and off commands under "Commands". The format for those should be "FF 01 00" for relay 1 off and "FF 01 01" for relay 1 on, "FF 02 00" for relay 2 off and "FF 02 01" for relay 2 on, and so on. I would just create a set for relay 1 first and experiment to ensure it is working before creating the rest. Once that is done, you can create events with actions to send the commands to the board.

Comment

sparkman, Great, that is the correct manual for this board! Thank you for finding that! No problem setting the Serial port settings and i believe that the "Commands" settings may be in correctly. but I'm having difficulty with the "connections" settings.

Comment

Originally posted by BJB View Post
                            sparkman, Great, that is the correct manual for this board! Thank you for finding that! No problem setting the Serial port settings and i believe that the "Commands" settings may be in correctly. but I'm having difficulty with the "connections" settings.
                            Maybe post a screen shot of your connections setting.

Comment

Pictures attached
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X