Linux, Mono and Homeseer documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux, Mono and Homeseer documentation

This document is an outgrowth of discussion on this thread.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-updating-mono

My intent was to pull together as much information as practical to install mono and the latest ubuntu on x86 hardware. THIS HAS NOT BEEN TESTED ON RPI! I believe I have given credit by referencing all of the threads I pulled data from. The document is written in Tex/LaTex. The document is still rough and I am looking for someone to read and provide critical feedback. I have no delusions that the document is well written and fully accurate. I also discuss tools and commands I like and use often and how to install. I based this off Ubuntu and if you prefer another flavor then your mileage will vary.

How to Install Mono for HomeSeer.pdf

How to Install Mono for HomeSeer.tex.txt

If you have criticisms or suggestions please post them here or send me a pm.

Regards

That is a well written document. I am sure it will be of benifit to many.

I noticed one strange thing in the doc. As seen in the following screen capture, there is a strange character that has replaced the space character. It makes the text difficult to read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	badtext.png
Views:	95
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1380761

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailJ View Post
      This document is an outgrowth of discussion on this thread.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-updating-mono

My intent was to pull together as much information as practical to install mono and the latest ubuntu on x86 hardware. THIS HAS NOT BEEN TESTED ON RPI! I believe I have given credit by referencing all of the threads I pulled data from. The document is written in Tex/LaTex. The document is still rough and I am looking for someone to read and provide critical feedback. I have no delusions that the document is well written and fully accurate. I also discuss tools and commands I like and use often and how to install. I based this off Ubuntu and if you prefer another flavor then your mileage will vary.

If you have criticisms or suggestions please post them here or send me a pm.

Regards
      Good idea. It's been a while that I haven't written in TeX some good memories from now about 30 years!

Anyhow, I'll take a look and compare it to my own document of installing my Ubuntu 18.04 VM on my XenServer....

Will let you know....

Cheers,
      Joel

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
        That is a well written document. I am sure it will be of benifit to many.

I noticed one strange thing in the doc. As seen in the following screen capture, there is a strange character that has replaced the space character. It makes the text difficult to read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	badtext.png
Views:	95
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1380761
        This is an artifact of the verbatim mode in LaTex. It is trying to show exactly what the text is. I have not figured out how to remove this feature but will keep working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 838Joel View Post
          Good idea. It's been a while that I haven't written in TeX some good memories from now about 30 years!

Anyhow, I'll take a look and compare it to my own document of installing my Ubuntu 18.04 VM on my XenServer....

Will let you know....

Cheers,
          Joel

If it has been awhile since using TeX then I would suggest TeXstudio. It is an all in one environment that includes an editor and ability to compile. Thanks for any feedback and corrections.

Comment

If it has been awhile since using TeX then I would suggest TeXstudio. It is an all in one environment that includes an editor and ability to compile. Thanks for any feedback and corrections.
            Thanks I'll surely take a view at it 👍

Comment

Fixed the space character problem. Here are the new files:

Comment

This is an artifact of the verbatim mode in LaTex. It is trying to show exactly what the text is. I have not figured out how to remove this feature but will keep working on it.
                Change /begin{verbatim*} to /begin{verbatim} verbatim

\begin{verbatim} text \end{verbatim}
                or
                \begin{verbatim*} text \end{verbatim*}
                The verbatim environment is a paragraph-making environment that gets LaTeX to print exactly what you type in. It turns LaTeX into a typewriter with carriage returns and blanks having the same effect that they would on a typewriter. The output looks exactly as it looks in the input file.

The difference between verbatim and verbatim* is that the latter prints spaces as "visual" spaces, i.e., a short, squat "u".

The only text which cannot be placed in the verbatim environment is the 14-character sequence "\end{verbatim}".

The verbatim environment may not be used in the argument of another command. However, it can be placed inside a minipage environment which allows you to manipulate it's placement.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and the education. The daily revisions. Here are the latest files. I added a section on aliases, cleaned up some verbiage and spacing, and removed some of the clear pages to make the document have less unused white space.

Regards
                  Last edited by AllHailJ; April 27, 2020, 02:49 PM. Reason: Added latest version of the files.

Comment

Working...
                  X