Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Integrating a Security System with Homeseer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deadeye View Post
    Is this the plugin you were referring to?
    https://shop.homeseer.com/products/b...lug-in-for-hs3
    I didn't realize that you had to pay for plugins.
    Im not sure what this plugin needs, but just setup custom triggers under BI to turn on a virtual switch via HS json. Base your automations off that switch.

Comment

Hi,

I use a Honeywell Vista Panel that was already installed in my house. I bought a piece of hardware “Ad2usb” for $99 and the plugin for Vista panels.

I am able to arm, disarm, turn on/off the Chime for doors, etc.

I also have Blue-iris and the plugin. I started doing events to notify me when the alarm is in a “armed state” and motion is detected outdoors... and honestly had to turn it off since I had way to many alerts for trees and leaves causing false alerts.

You can find vista 20p panels for nothing on ebay ($40-80).

The benefit of an alarm system is that sensors are hardwired and you dont rely on batteries.

Enjoy

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by clafa View Post
        I use a Honeywell Vista Panel that was already installed in my house. I bought a piece of hardware “Ad2usb” for $99 and the plugin for Vista panels.
        I am able to arm, disarm, turn on/off the Chime for doors, etc.
        The benefit of an alarm system is that sensors are hardwired and you dont rely on batteries.
        I'm definitely doing wired sensors, but I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like Elk is also like a hybrid security and home automation system. I read that some guy has it set up so that he can use a key fob and disarm his security system and automatically unlock his door. I suppose if I really "fall down the rabbit hole" in the future and want to do stuff like that, I may have to go with Elk. I just heard that their panels are not that great, so they might be lacking on the security side.

Comment

Honeywell also has keyfobs that your “pair” and then you can have homeseer take on the automation piece.

I am by no means an expert on this so read and take it all in...

Laugh when you end up trying for hours to automate something that take seconds

Its the journey that counts

Have a good one

Chris

Comment

I am a very satisfied ELK M1G user, so forgive the bias. In my opinion, all security systems are built pretty much the same when it comes to zone hardware, arm/disarm, zones types, wired and wireless - the major brands all meet standards. I've used a few, and I don't see much difference in quality, and my ELK has been trouble for for many years (just replace the battery periodically). What distinguishes them is home automation features and expansion capabilities. That is where ELK or Omni excel. I recommend you do a side by side on automation features for the major brands used by the folks on this forum, and pick the one that has the features you think you might need. The reasons I chose ELK M1G included: the digital outputs doing things like opening garage doors, I wanted my lighting on a stand alone lighting controller that can also be operated by HS, and lots of expansion options.
            Mark

Hometroller S6 w/ HS3Pro, Way2Call
            BLAB8SS, BL Backup, Easy Trigger, HSTouch, Open Sprinkler, SONOS, Ultra1Wire3, UltraM1G, WeatherXML, Z-Wave

Comment

I also recommend the DSC Alarm Systems hard wired to its sensors. Along with an EVL4 and the DSC add on, you can pretty much do anything.
              DSC has a wired motion sensor that is very inexpensive, (<13$ ea,). If you put them all over the house, you can very inexpensively control lighting and enhance your security at the same time for very little money.
              If you haven't bought a security system yet, do not place too much emphasis on the keypads. I use Android tablets and Geofencing for the arming and disarming of my DSC system. In fact I only have one keypad for my alarm system and it is hidden as I only use it for programming.
              I also recommend a separate camera system on its own, separate network for security speed reasons. I personally use IP cams. Some are PTZ others are fixed. Then you can stream the cam video to any tablet or mobile device.
              If you have any interest in having your own NAS for computer backup, storage, movie database or another reason I highly recommend you look into Synology Surveillance Station for your camera recording. If you do not want a NAS, get a NVR as a Security Video Recorder to make sure your video is being recorded and tagged with motion.
              Also make sure your video doorbells are ONVIF compliant so your video recorders can record their video also. This will save you money as you will not need to buy extra cameras at those locations.

Comment

OK, i'm convinced on a DSC system and will be starting from scratch. I'm looking for a control panel that has wired and wireless devices connected. Google doesn't help when I type "Newest DSC system" Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Igorski88 View Post
                  OK, i'm convinced on a DSC system and will be starting from scratch. I'm looking for a control panel that has wired and wireless devices connected. Google doesn't help when I type "Newest DSC system" Any recommendations?
                  You don’t want the newest...the new one has restricted integrations with specific HA systems. Google DSC 1832 or DSC 1864 depending on the number of zones you need.

HS3 3.0.0.548 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 996 Devices, 547 Events
                  Plugin's:
                  BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                  EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                  weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

Go with a DSC Power 1832 (32 zones) or 1864 (64 zones). Both systems just have 8 zones but you can expand them with additional modules (8 zones per module). These systems are pretty old and very basic but there is no monthly fee and HS supports these system. You will need an interface board, either an IT-100 (serial) or a EVL4 (Ethernet). I am using the IT-100. There is a plug in for the EV4. Maybe I should have gone the EV4 route because the IT-100 has some bugs and HomeSeer doesn't fix the problem/bug.

Comment

Working...
                    X