Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use a z-wave deadbolt as a relay because another point is to far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use a z-wave deadbolt as a relay because another point is to far?

(apologies if this is a newbie question. I've only been fumbling around with homeseer for a few days)

I have a two yale z-wave plus deadbolts.
    1. from house to garage
    2. from garage to outside

Door #2 seems too far/too obstructed from the controller to be recognized when door #1 is closed

Can I change a configuration so that it wakes up/uses door #1 to relay the message?

My hope was that this would happen automatically, but apparently it doesn't

If I can't, what are my alternatives?

I also have an internet wireless access point inside of my garage, is there a way to utilize that if necessary?

Thanks

Have you considered a z-wave range extender? https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Range-.../dp/B01M6CKJXC

I surprised that you can't contact. I have a z-wave sensor on my mail box, I also have two garage door openers, alarms and light switches in my garage that all work. Have you tried installing a z-wave switch in the garage so there is a powered device to repeat off of?

The locks are battery operated so you may not be able to hop through them unless you set a very frequent update and then battery life would be short.

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailJ View Post
      Have you considered a z-wave range extender? https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Range-.../dp/B01M6CKJXC

I surprised that you can't contact. I have a z-wave sensor on my mail box, I also have two garage door openers, alarms and light switches in my garage that all work. Have you tried installing a z-wave switch in the garage so there is a powered device to repeat off of?

The locks are battery operated so you may not be able to hop through them unless you set a very frequent update and then battery life would be short.
      I also have a Linear garage opener. Presumably that's powered. Can that be used to relay the signal?

(my garage must be a bomb shelter because internet wouldn't work in there either... .thus I hard wired an access point in there)

Comment

If it's a powered Z-Wave device then it's a repeater otherwise any battery operated device doesn't repeat Z-Wave signals.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Or insulated with foil wrapped foam panels or wire mesh plaster?? It should be powered so you should be able to repeat. The nice thing about a wall switch is it is usually in the wall where door is located. One piece of drywall or single plaster wall for signal to go through to get into house.

Comment

Working...
          X