Device Naming & Nomenclature for Homeseer Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Naming & Nomenclature for Homeseer Operations

I've heard this topic discussed some before but as my Homeseer system grows, how do we intelligently name devices so they're easy to manage and even visually understand what they are when we see them? For instance, I added 1 Schlage lock to my system today and it spawned 6 "devices". Yesterday, I installed an AeoTech Z-Wave repeater. It spawned 6 devices.

So the "rabbits" are multiplying and my device list is getting very long when my other Z-Wave and Wemo devices are added. Not to mention that Alexa pulls them all in and makes a double mess of them when we configure Groups...then we add voice labels to some of the specific devices in Homeseer. Wemo devices alone always seem to spawn 2 devices for each real device. So with a home automation network of almost 100 "real" devices, they actually almost double that number when installed.

So how do we name them? How do we keep "lists" simplified? How do we do things so that Alexa doesn't come up with a confusing mess of devices to decipher and deal with? An then we have to start dealing with so many devices on HSBuddy...so then we're back to keeping things as manageable as possible. Are there any "best practices" for growing networks?

In the current state of my new Homeseer network, I hesitate on trying to "train" my wife on how to do anything other than voice commands via Alexa. If I did, she'd never leave the comfort of manual switches.

Any great ideas out there? Thanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.37.40 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	137.9 KB ID:	1386835

Where you have Z-Wave in Location 2 spot you can type the room and floor And this gives you some semblance of order. I have ~95 physical devices but 543 nodes. I also have WeatherXML and that creates many devices (>100) but you need them to be able to display the conditions and forecast. I am religious about setting my node numbers as you have done bit I also make sure my device type is shown. There is functional filtering and you can sort in many ways. This is what I utilize to manage the device population explosion.

HSTouch is the custom graphical interface if you want a graphical interface for non-technical users. It can be difficult to set up and maintain but it does work.

Comment

I'm following this, too, but with HS4 and the new CATAGORY description in mind. In HS3, I changed FLOOR to CATAGORY so I have CATAGORY and ROOM. If I need to know or sort by node, I can get that from the ADDRESS column. Being able to sort by category and room, ie all lights in the living room, is really helpful and provides high WAF in this household. When using the default original HSTouch IOS configuration, if she can narrow down to something quickly, WAF increases. If she had to know node numbers, I would live on the couch....if I was still alive.

Comment

im just doing floor and room. Works well, but my wife doesnt use it and I also then use the filtering by room or whatever I need.

I cannot get google to work with HS4... been trying and doing what Rupp said to do but still working on it.
        in HS3...
        I have lights in the basement... so..
        Floor Basement
        Room Basement

i have 3 sets of ceiling lights..
        front. middle, back..

if I said.. Ok Google, Turn off the Back Lights...
        google replies..

Ok Turning Off the Basement|Basement Back Lights

HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Have you seen the "Methodolgy to Organize and name devices" thread discussing this topic?

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
            Have you seen the "Methodolgy to Organize and name devices" thread discussing this topic?
            Have Now
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
              Nice! Thanks for finding/posting that.

Comment

Working...
              X