Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trigger an event based on an offset of another device value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trigger an event based on an offset of another device value?

Scenario:

I have humidity sensors in both my bathroom and the thermostat on the same floor as the bathroom.
    We keep the door open on the bathroom unless it's in use.
    There is A/C in the main area where the thermostat is located, but no A/C in the bathroom, only an exhaust fan which I can control.
    I've tracked the humidity levels at both the main thermostat and the humidity sensor in the bathroom, I can see a natural offset. That is, the humidity level in the bathroom will never be less than the humidity level at the thermostat.

I want to turn on my bathroom vent fan above a certain humidity level, but I don't want to set an absolute value for fan turn off which might be unrealistic based on the conditions in the rest of the house. Ideally I want to trigger an off condition when the bathroom RH level reaches the house humidity level plus an offset of let's say 5% RH.

Any ideas on to achieve this via an event, plug-in or something else? (Running HS4)

All insights appreciated.

EasyTrigger plugin can compare device values.
    -Wade

Comment

EasyTrigger is your friend, indeed. I don't know why HS doesn't integrate this kind of stuff into their software. It basically forces everybody to buy the EasyTrigger plugin or do scripting to do such relatively basic things. As for the scripting approach, you could have an event for each of the humidity sensors. The event will check if the value of the humidity sensor changed. If it did change then you use the script to pull the value from both sensors, compare them and then either directly execute an event or set a virtual device that then triggers another event to do whatever you want to do.

Comment

To add to my previous post, I would still purchase the EasyTrigger plugin rather than using scripts. You probably will run into a bunch of other situations where this plugin becomes very useful.

Comment

Thanks folks, you kind of confirmed my suspicions regarding Easy Trigger. Plus I know I'll need it for things like creating schedules for changes throughout the day. Appreciate the confirmations.

And I agree, something like this, *especially* schedules should be built-into HS.

Comment

In extreme cases you consider one of these : https://www.amazon.com/Broan-QTXN110...QY2CMQHH6CXHQV

Eman
            TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Working...
            X