X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeat a certain check

Hi,

I want to create a certain event as described below:

When I go to bed, I set a virtual switch to on, I then made an event that whenever this gets set to on, if my windows are open, it speaks telling me to shut the windows.

My question is, how can I make this repeat itself until the windows are closed? So I want it to check after 5 minutes whether the windows are closed or not, and if not tell me again. This then needs to repeat until the windows are closed...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

check this thread out
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...event-sequence

Comment

Just do the speak part then a second action to run the same event again after a delay of five minutes.

If the windows are closed, or you turned off the virtual switch, the second iteration will stop, otherwise it keeps repeating.

Comment

Originally posted by darkjamzi View Post
        Hi,

I want to create a certain event as described below:

When I go to bed, I set a virtual switch to on, I then made an event that whenever this gets set to on, if my windows are open, it speaks telling me to shut the windows.

My question is, how can I make this repeat itself until the windows are closed? So I want it to check after 5 minutes whether the windows are closed or not, and if not tell me again. This then needs to repeat until the windows are closed...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
        Every event you create has a section at the bottom called "Event options" and in that section is a option that says "Cannot repeat for:" Set that to 5 minutes and the event will repeat at 5 minute intervals as long as the trigger logic is true. This is the simplest (and therefore usually the best) option for requirements like this.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

Every event you create has a section at the bottom called "Event options" and in that section is a option that says "Cannot repeat for:" Set that to 5 minutes and the event will repeat at 5 minute intervals as long as the trigger logic is true. This is the simplest (and therefore usually the best) option for requirements like this.
          That won't work - the option you mention stops an event happening too frequently; it does nothing to trigger it and since the status of the switch hasn't changed there is no trigger.

Comment

Change the 1hour to 5 minutes:

IF The event will automatically trigger every 1h, 0m, 0s
            AND IF Node 43 Z-Wave GreatRmSlider-Switch has a value equal to Open
            OR IF Node 43 Z-Wave GreatRmSlider-Switch changes and becomes Open
            Then Speak Great Room Slider, UN-Locked
            And Wait for Speaking To Finish

Options >

Comment

Create and start a timer. When the timer reaches 5 minutes and the windows are open, reset/restart the timer and do the speak. At 6 minutes, just stop the timer. (The timer will never reach 6 minutes if the window are still opened, since the 5 minute event restarted the timer.)

Comment

Originally posted by rge View Post

That won't work - the option you mention stops an event happening too frequently; it does nothing to trigger it and since the status of the switch hasn't changed there is no trigger.
                If the trigger conditions are switch is on and windows are open, it will certainly work. I use the same logic to announce my garage door was left open after dark every 5 minutes until it's closed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

If the trigger conditions are switch is on and windows are open, it will certainly work. I use the same logic to announce my garage door was left open after dark every 5 minutes until it's closed.

Your initial post seemed to suggest that using the event option to prevent an event from running more often than every 5 minutes caused it to repeat every five minutes.

What you are using in your own system is a runaway loop, that you put a brake on by limiting it's execution to every 5 minutes. Take that brake out of your event and you'd be in for quite a show.
                  HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                  Number of Devices: 449
                  Number of Events: 210

Plug-Ins: Arduino, BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, WeatherXML, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post

Your initial post seemed to suggest that using the event option to prevent an event from running more often than every 5 minutes caused it to repeat every five minutes.

What you are using in your own system is a runaway loop, that you put a brake on by limiting it's execution to every 5 minutes. Take that brake out of your event and you'd be in for quite a show.
                    Granted, but that's why the extra condition is there, no? I didn't mean to imply that if you go that route, the event wouldn't trigger continuously once the conditions are met if you don't add the can't retrigger time constraint. It will.
                    With great power comes great responsibility.

Comment

Could you post which conditions you're using?

I'm interested in this because I didn't think HomeSeer had any trigger that repeated without an external change apart from the recurring one. Which to me makes sense - how often would it run, as fast as possible with 100% CPU?

Unless the HS3 "device has been X for at least Y" one did that, but I don't think it did? (No longer in HS4 and I think the name was just wrong and it's now called "device has been X for exactly Y").

Comment

I'm interested in this because I didn't think HomeSeer had any trigger that repeated without an external change apart from the recurring one. Which to me makes sense - how often would it run, as fast as possible with 100% CPU?

Unless the HS3 "device has been X for at least Y" one did that, but I don't think it did? (No longer in HS4 and I think the name was just wrong and it's now called "device has been X for exactly Y").
                        no they depreciated it to prevent runaway loops.. it really would trigger on the at least... then keep triggering unless you had another condition that stopped it.
                        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                        Number of Devices: 449
                        Number of Events: 210

Plug-Ins: Arduino, BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, WeatherXML, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers, I'll get to it.

Comment

Granted, but that's why the extra condition is there, no? I didn't mean to imply that if you go that route, the event wouldn't trigger continuously once the conditions are met if you don't add the can't retrigger time constraint. It will.
                            With great power comes great responsibility.
                            Thanks, I can see why they removed it. I hate to think how hot a Pi would run in a continuous event loop, at least on bigger machine you'd get alerted by the fan noise

I did use that trigger until HS4, but just assumed it was a one-shot thing because my events do shut off the triggering device, which is probably the natural usage in most scenarios.

Comment

I missed this question earlier.

Here's my event from HS3, which may not be possible in HS4 (I have no immediate plans to upgrade as I feel HS4 isn't completely baked).

As far as I know, even if you don't set the "Cannot re-run" option, event triggers are only evaluated once per second. Still quite annoying if the action triggers a text message or announcement like this event.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	64
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1418244

Comment

Working...
                              X