Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with creating an Event to run after another event

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help with creating an Event to run after another event

    I have an event setup to do things when someone arrives home. I was also trying to setup another event to run when the person opens the door and comes in the house to greet them using my sonos speakers. I want to setup two events because it might take time for the person to actually come through the door. So I have an event setup for when the person arrives and I can add for it to Run the Speak greeting event when the door opens. So I believe I would setup the Speak Greeting event as a Manually triggered event. However, how do I incorporate the door being opened? So I only want this to run once after someone has arrived home and then come into the house. Any suggestions?

    #2
    Do you have a door sensor? If so is it already integrated into HS? If not what alarm system are you using?

    Comment


      #3
      If i understand what you are asking, it's relatively easy to incorporate more than one actions in the same event with some time in between them. Just use a Wait action.

      Why not do something like this? Just substitute your device actions.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	71
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1421815

      Comment


        #4
        But in your Event above, every time the Patio door becomes Open it will turn on the light and then speak after two minutes. I don't want this to happen every time the door is opened. I only want it to happen when the Hello Routine runs because someone has arrived home. That is why I was thinking that it needs to be Manually Triggered by the Hello Routine Event but then somehow triggered by the door opened in the Speek event. Hope I am making myself clear!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by mulu View Post
          Do you have a door sensor? If so is it already integrated into HS? If not what alarm system are you using?
          Yes, I have door sensors setup.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
            I have an event setup to do things when someone arrives home. I was also trying to setup another event to run when the person opens the door and comes in the house to greet them . . .I have an event setup for when the person arrives and I can add for it to Run the Speak greeting event when the door opens
            Here's another take.

            In your event that runs when someone arrives home, add an action to set a virtual device (I'll call it 'SomeoneArrived') to On, then Off.
            Then turn SomeoneArrived On
            Then turn SomeoneArrived Off after a delay, say 10 minutes (to be sure it gets turned off if the door doesn't get opened for some reason)

            Create another event for the door.
            If the Door opens.
            And If SomeoneArrived is On
            Then
            Speak <welcome message>
            Then turn SomeoneArrived Off






            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

            HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

            Comment


              #7
              This would work but could I not set something up without creating a virtual device? So I am wondering if I create the event to be manually triggered and then if the door is opened? So the someone home event would run the door open event. I am just not sure how to do it?

              Event is manually triggered
              AND IF the door opens (this is where I am stuck because the event will be triggered to run from the other event. But if the door isn't opened at that time, it won't work. So maybe if the doors was opened in the last 5 minutes?)
              THEN
              Speak greeting

              Not sure if this is possible or not or if I am on the right track or not? Suggestions?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
                This would work but could I not set something up without creating a virtual device? So I am wondering if I create the event to be manually triggered and then if the door is opened? So the someone home event would run the door open event. I am just not sure how to do it?

                Event is manually triggered
                AND IF the door opens (this is where I am stuck because the event will be triggered to run from the other event. But if the door isn't opened at that time, it won't work. So maybe if the doors was opened in the last 5 minutes?)
                THEN
                Speak greeting

                Not sure if this is possible or not or if I am on the right track or not? Suggestions?

                Event is manually triggered

                OR IF should be the next step to get the best conditions !


                Click image for larger version  Name:	Event Setup.png Views:	0 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	1421856 So you can see that the event can be triggered in two ways and can also be called from other events. The reason for mine being disabled is because you don't want the alarm firing when it shouldn't so apply the conditions from elsewhere (other events)

                Just keep it simple but effective!

                NOTE : This in your routine is the one that you don't want to happen every time the door is opened so you disable it based on your conditions.

                Eman.
                TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
                  This would work but could I not set something up without creating a virtual device? So I am wondering if I create the event to be manually triggered and then if the door is opened? So the someone home event would run the door open event. I am just not sure how to do it?

                  Event is manually triggered
                  AND IF the door opens (this is where I am stuck because the event will be triggered to run from the other event. But if the door isn't opened at that time, it won't work. So maybe if the doors was opened in the last 5 minutes?)
                  THEN
                  Speak greeting

                  Not sure if this is possible or not or if I am on the right track or not? Suggestions?
                  If you can count on the variation in time between returning home and opening the door to be pretty consistent, you might be able to sequence the actions so they synchronize with the actual door opening, but it's not likely to be a robust result.

                  Why the aversion to a virtual device?
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

                  HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I have another option that has worked for over 20 years. I have the OmniPro Alarm panel.

                    When the panel is armed and someone comes in and disarms, HomeSeer welcomes them home and tells them a couple of things.

                    Then I set a flag in a virtual device that the alarm was disarmed.

                    I have an even that triggers when that person, or someone finally gets into the family room and triggers on the motion detector in the room. If I get a motion in the family room and the flag is on, I turn the flag off and then go into a detailed response of the status of the house, what happened while they were out and any delayed speech. This really impresses others who may also come in and the house just speaks up seemingly all by itself!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Eman I believe this will work. I was thinking of it the other way. Having the Event already Enabled. I like how you are thinking though. Uncle Michael I don't have an aversion to virtual devices, it is just that I don't like having a whole pile of them if I can help it.

                      George That must work great! I don't have an alarm panel. We don't need an alarm where I live, yet. But I could see using your second part once someone goes into the Family room to be useful. What sort of thing are you announcing once into the family room? Just looking for ideas?

                      Comment


                        #12


                        George That must work great! I don't have an alarm panel. We don't need an alarm where I live, yet. But I could see using your second part once someone goes into the Family room to be useful. What sort of thing are you announcing once into the family room? Just looking for ideas?[/QUOTE]

                        Things like, off the top of my head.
                        • Welcome home
                        • The state of the call forwarding and who the phones are forwarded to
                        • How many times the home phone was called and reminds us to check the answering machine
                        • How many times the driveway entry sensors were tripped before we got home, it subtracts one because it's the actual person who got home. This let's us know to look for packages.
                        • If tomorrow is the garbage day, reminds us to take out the trash.
                          Also at 10pm, we also get a reminder, and again in the morning when the alarm is disarmed we get another reminder.
                        • The outside air and enclosed porch temperatures.
                        • If the speech recognition system is enabled, it says that the speech recognition system is enabled or disabled.
                        • And it turns on things like the basement hot water recirculating pump to warm up the pipes up stairs.
                        • Turns on the MBR fan and accent lights,
                        • Turns on the normal hallway and room lights if it's before midnight.



                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Eman View Post





                          OR IF should be the next step to get the best conditions !


                          Click image for larger version Name:	Event Setup.png Views:	0 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	1421856 So you can see that the event can be triggered in two ways and can also be called from other events. The reason for mine being disabled is because you don't want the alarm firing when it shouldn't so apply the conditions from elsewhere (other events)
                          Eman Any event, regardless of trigger, can be "manually" triggered. The "manual" trigger is just a place holder for an event that doesn't have a formal trigger. If an event has a formal trigger, adding a "manual" trigger has no effect.
                          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

                          HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                            Eman Any event, regardless of trigger, can be "manually" triggered. The "manual" trigger is just a place holder for an event that doesn't have a formal trigger. If an event has a formal trigger, adding a "manual" trigger has no effect.
                            That's true by HomeSeer design but I have always used it as a place holder. I know it has no effect but someone new to the events, if the event is not as large as they wish to construct they just don't seem think that a simple event can be effective.Yes I could just have used just a one liner starting with IF


                            Eman.
                            TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X