Rolling back to Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolling back to Windows 7

I bought a new disc with win7, drivers and origianlactivation key. I copied the DVD to a USB stick and wonder if there's anything special I need to do before rolling back from Win 10 to 7. Unfortunately I don't know if it's an old version of 7 or the latest version just prior to being deprecated.

Does anyone know if Win 7 will allow to update to the last available version of Win 7?

Or should I make it a dual boot if possible? Currently a 128gb HD with 1/2 of it used. I'm thinking of trying this, then eliminating the win 10 partition after everything is working fine under win 7. Is this even possible, to eliminate the original partition and expand the one made more recently.

None of this has anything to do with HS4 which I'm sure will copy to the new OS and work just fine. HS4 is the sole purpose of this PC, I'm just tired of updates that don't do anything for a small standalone system like this. If this works, I might even buy another disc for the Blue Iris PC.

Thoughts?

I utilize Windows 7 virtual boxes and they have updated just fine.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.10.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
      I bought a new disc with win7, drivers and origianlactivation key. I copied the DVD to a USB stick and wonder if there's anything special I need to do before rolling back from Win 10 to 7. Unfortunately I don't know if it's an old version of 7 or the latest version just prior to being deprecated.

Does anyone know if Win 7 will allow to update to the last available version of Win 7?

Or should I make it a dual boot if possible? Currently a 128gb HD with 1/2 of it used. I'm thinking of trying this, then eliminating the win 10 partition after everything is working fine under win 7. Is this even possible, to eliminate the original partition and expand the one made more recently.

None of this has anything to do with HS4 which I'm sure will copy to the new OS and work just fine. HS4 is the sole purpose of this PC, I'm just tired of updates that don't do anything for a small standalone system like this. If this works, I might even buy another disc for the Blue Iris PC.

Thoughts?
      Maybe move to Linux? The risk you have is not just security but also that more and more software is assuming you are running Windows 10. Hence, you might run into incompatibilities a few years down the road. Just something to consider.

Comment

Maybe move to Linux?
        As it is, Linux has fewer plugin options so that alone may have made my decision for me.

Comment

Run Windows Server 2016 standard edition. Absolutely flawless and zero problem - almost scary. It's more light weight than Windows 10. No regrets!
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
          X