Homeseer on Sailboat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer on Sailboat

I have a HomeTroller set up on my sailboat and it emails me alerts regarding water in the bilge, temperature, and when the main hatch is opened or closed. The boat has an always on network connection via cellular. I'm planning the replacement of the bilge pump and probably installing two pumps. I'd like for Homeseer to email me when one or the other of the bilge pumps goes on or off and to keep daily totals. That said, I can't find any z-wave enabled pumps that are appropriate. Is there any device that will connect via z-wave to Homeseer and monitor an on/off 12 volt current? And if so, how would I set up the counter in Homeseer? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Nice project!

First option is to check out the Arduino plugin or contact Michael McSharry His Shelly plugin could be handy

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

You could use something like this to monitor the current which would energize the relay when the pump is running. The relay contacts would then switch any z-wave device that has input contacts including a modified door/window sensor or something like the Fortrezz Mimolite.You could also use an Arduino (plus plugin) for input switching.

Look at the event clinic regarding counters https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ter-s-value-is

Alternatively, I have a script that does it all for you:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...r-3-homeseer-4
      Jon

Comment

Is the Current Detection Sensing Module necessary? Or, is it possible to just have the pump wired to the Mimolite signal input and use your script to do the counting and trigger the email?

Comment

It depends on how the bilge pump operates. If the water level switch is separate, then no it is not required, If however it is built-in to the pump, I don't see how else you could monitor it.
          Jon

Comment

Trying to follow and a bit of a novice at the wiring, but I was actually thinking of using the MIMO2+ since it sounds like I could do both pumps I'd like to monitor. One pump is likely to be a Rule 2000 non automatic pump that is activated by a Water Witch sensor such as the one in the link below. The Water Witch monitor is panel mounted and keeps onboard count of the pump as well as being an on board alarm. What it doesn't do, is connect to Homeseer. The second pump is a small diaphragm pump which will be on a small DC timer scheduled to go off for just a minute or two 3 or 4 times a day. It's job is to draw off any residual water in the bilge which would not get removed by the much larger centrifugal pump. The purpose of the MIMO with respect to the 2nd pump is just to let me know it's working and doing its job while I'm away from the boat for long periods of time. Would the sensor for the primary pump also be wired to the MIMO or does the primary pump have to be wired to the MIMO?

https://waterwitchinc.com/wp-content...-Revc-abyc.pdf

Comment

Yes, the MIMO2+ would be idea for 2 pumps.

You don't want to connect this directly to the pumps though (noise, back EMF etc) so just purchase two 12V DC relays (any rating) and connect their coils across the pump connections (Ground and Relay output on the Water Witch). Then connect the Normally Open (NO) and common contact of each relay to the MIMO2+ as inputs as per their docs. When the pump operates, the relay is energized and will switch the respective MIMO2+ input.
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by cbarner View Post
                Trying to follow and a bit of a novice at the wiring, but I was actually thinking of using the MIMO2+ since it sounds like I could do both pumps I'd like to monitor. One pump is likely to be a Rule 2000 non automatic pump that is activated by a Water Witch sensor such as the one in the link below. The Water Witch monitor is panel mounted and keeps onboard count of the pump as well as being an on board alarm. What it doesn't do, is connect to Homeseer. The second pump is a small diaphragm pump which will be on a small DC timer scheduled to go off for just a minute or two 3 or 4 times a day. It's job is to draw off any residual water in the bilge which would not get removed by the much larger centrifugal pump. The purpose of the MIMO with respect to the 2nd pump is just to let me know it's working and doing its job while I'm away from the boat for long periods of time. Would the sensor for the primary pump also be wired to the MIMO or does the primary pump have to be wired to the MIMO?

https://waterwitchinc.com/wp-content...-Revc-abyc.pdf
                Seconded. That's how I'd go about it.

Comment

So does the 12v DC relay like the one below isolate the MIMO from the pumps? Not to be thick, but what does the relay do and does power for each pump depend somehow on the relay?
                  https://www.amazon.com/PACK-AMP-Wate...3642075&sr=8-9

Comment

Yes, A relay will isolate the MIMO from the pumps. The relay is like an electromagnet which when it is energized, pulls (spring loaded) dry contacts together. When you remove the power, the spring pulls it back again. They are used for isolation and also allow a small current (to energize the coil) to switch very large currents (relay contact rating)

In this instance, the switch contact rating can be anything as the MIMO inputs would take virtually no current whatsoever.

The relay specified would work fine.
                    Jon

Comment

Jon:

Can't say enough about how helpful you have been. Moreover, as I review our exchange, I apologize for not spending more time googling what the relays were doing rather than bothering you with the question. I will absolute download your script and donate in the process. Thank you again and all the best!

Comment

No problem. Let us know the outcome!
                        Jon

Comment

Hey Jon. Just following up on this project now that I've got some test equipment including the Mimo and relays and a small pump I already had. As I think this is not the typical wiring scenario for the relays, I just want to confirm what I think I'm supposed to wire together. I'm planning to connect the NO wire on the relay (87 on this relay) to the Signal Input Terminal on the Mimo. You had indicated in your email that the common contact on the relay then is connected to the Mimo. I take this to mean that the wire that connects to 87 when the relay is activated (30) is connected to the GND for Sig1 on the Mimo completing that circuit when the relay is activated. Wires 85 and 86 on the relay connect to the positive and negative wires of the pump circuit such that when the pump goes on, the relay is charged and the 86-30 connection is made. In this situation, I don't need to wire anything to the relays inside the Mimo, correct?

What I'm a bit uncertain of though is if the Signal Input loop in the Mimo is somehow powered by the Mimo unit itself -- or if either wire 87 or 30 has to be run back to a battery to provide the voltage that the Mimo monitors and counts?

Comment

It used to be that the mimo 2+had issues in homeseer. Dont know if that is still the case. I wouldn't want anything other than the float switch controlling the pumps. I also wouldn't want anything for monitoring the status that could potentially keep the pump from working right if say a relay failed.

Comment

Originally posted by cbarner View Post
                              Hey Jon. Just following up on this project now that I've got some test equipment including the Mimo and relays and a small pump I already had. As I think this is not the typical wiring scenario for the relays, I just want to confirm what I think I'm supposed to wire together. I'm planning to connect the NO wire on the relay (87 on this relay) to the Signal Input Terminal on the Mimo. You had indicated in your email that the common contact on the relay then is connected to the Mimo. I take this to mean that the wire that connects to 87 when the relay is activated (30) is connected to the GND for Sig1 on the Mimo completing that circuit when the relay is activated. Wires 85 and 86 on the relay connect to the positive and negative wires of the pump circuit such that when the pump goes on, the relay is charged and the 86-30 connection is made. In this situation, I don't need to wire anything to the relays inside the Mimo, correct?

What I'm a bit uncertain of though is if the Signal Input loop in the Mimo is somehow powered by the Mimo unit itself -- or if either wire 87 or 30 has to be run back to a battery to provide the voltage that the Mimo monitors and counts?
                              Hopefully the drawing below will assist.

When the pump operates, it will energize the relay coil (85/86). Once energized, it will cause the relay contacts 30/87 to short together which will be registered on the mimo Sig1/Ground input. The mimo needs a supply voltage from your battery. Repeat the same for the other pump but use sig2/ground.

I was not aware of issues with mimo 2+ under Homeseer ( I don't own one) so suggest you try and include this first into your Z-Wave network. You can test the inputs by putting a short between sig 1/ground and sig2/ground to see if it changes state in Homeseer.

Edit: Not looking promising: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...homeseer/page2

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drawing1.png Views:	0 Size:	8.2 KB ID:	1429634
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X