Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I identify an unknown device - found a sensor, where was it originally ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I identify an unknown device - found a sensor, where was it originally ?

I wish I'd labeled my moveable devices like sensors with a sharpie or left the node number in their description. I've got a few which have been moved (perhaps to replace a battery in a MS100 etc) but I'm not sure where they were originally located. What's the best way to identify them ? I've found a few which seem to be in various states of needing reset etc so I'm not able to always trigger motion and view my log immediately after that.

On a related note, I likely need some housekeeping to discover "dead" nodes which no longer communicate. With sensors like the MS100, they have to be manually activated so I don't think I can do it centrally.

Apologies, I'm an infrequent operator.

Interesting questions. Are we talking Z-Wave or Insteon?

Jim Speiser
    35-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

Comment

Mine are all HS Sensors. The one in question is a MS100. Wish it had a Unique Identifier printed somewhere.

Comment

You can monitor all devices changes using tenHsEvents. Manually make the sensor change value and watch which device changes.
        tenholde

Comment

Working...
        X