No network available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No network available

This has nothing to do with HS. I just installed Win7 and almost everything is fine. EXCEPT I get a no network available warning. I can't even connect to my local LAN. I've reset everything to no avail. I followed and tried a half dozen possibilities through Google searches to no avail.

I certainly don't think that my network adapter on my Lenovo M93p has miraculously failed at this same moment. I downloaded the Win 7 drivers using another PC and tried installing which did not work because the install software said a network adapter was not available. I tried replacing raspppoe.sys from another working PC and that didn't work.

I don't expect to find a solution on this board but perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

FYI the error I was getting was 651, but now there is no error as there is no possibility to install any drivers.

Try going into Device Manager and see if there's any devices with an exclamation point next to it. Focus on any of those devices first. I missing or incorrect system device driver could keep the network adapter from being accessible.

Hope this helps.
    Ken

Comment

A bunch of exclamation points. Ether net controller, Network Controller and a bunch of USB, PCI ports all have exclamations. I've been down this road, can't seem to find a solution here. Sigh, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm about 2 minutes away from re-doing the entire install.

Comment

You need to install a device driver for your nic card

Comment

It looks like the driver got hosed. You might be lucky and the installer saved the driver in the config directory. Go to your Nic card and update the driver. If you have the original CD that's the best, if not, try browse for the driver yourself. If that fails you can have Windows try to find the driver in it's online database. But normally when a driver is installed, it keeps it around in the System32 directory.

What NIC card do you have? I might be able to go to the manufacturers site, download the driver for you and attach it here. You can then put it on a floppy (yes, I keep a 3.5" in each of my PC for just that reason) or burn a CD with it and reinstall it.

Comment

I have three of these running today. They are identically configured with a sidecar expansion interface for USB and one serial port.

One is a Windows 2016 standard server. I would reinstall all of the Lenova M93A drivers from scratch.

Use another computer to first download the NIC driver to a USB stick. Once you have installed it then the rest will be easy.

Also check the BIOS configuration settings and check for a good cmos battery.

You can go the Lenova Website and do the auto check of your computer and it will present all of the drivers necessary for your M93A.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
            HS4 Pro - V4.1.10.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
            HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, this has been a challenge to say the least. Here's some quick notes and an end result that close to what I want/need.

I downloaded what I thought was the correct LAN/Ethernet driver from Lenovo using a different pc and put it on a usb stick. It said it failed because there was no network card. I've just gone back and for some reason Lenovo site is offering up another LAN/Ethernet driver. I tried that one with the same result. I get a message that a network card was not found so there was no installation.

I also tried a manual install but windows says no driver was found even though I'm pointing at the dir that was created by the download.

I can't do autocheck because I can't get online with that PC.

BIOS seems fine as I don't see anything unusual. Even the time is right as we rolled back to EST.

I just downloaded and installed the NIC driver and even though it said BSUTILCS crashed twice, it appears to have installed. After a restart I now have WiFI but not wired. YES!!!

I'm now downloading 117 updates and I'll report back later.

Comment

OK, I'm up and running with Win7, About 120 updates and all is well. I still can't get the wired connection working and there are still a lot of exclamation points.

George How do I figure out the actual NIC card? Go into bios? Device Manager. Unfortunately what I'm looking at just says network card unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

-----------------------
                Edit - George My wired connection is working. It says no internet access but it works and everything is fine. Weird

Comment

racerfern That's great, normally when it says no internet access that basically means that you have to go into the TCP properties in the control panels network connections list, select the connection and set the router (Gateway) IP address or your subnet mask which mostly is 255.255.255.0 Once you set the router gateway, it should query the router via DHCP to get your ISP's DNS servers. You can check if Dynamic DHCP is turned on. Or, what I do, because I really don't trust my ISP's DNS servers, is use a manual DNS server entries of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are Googles DNS servers and are super fast.

Funny it doesn't tell you the network adapter name, that's normally provided by the driver. Under device manager, see attached, it shows the adapter name. What happens when you double click on it? On mine it gives me all the options available to be set on the network card. See the 2nd upload. I might assume that maybe you might not have gotten the exact right driver, but if it works, I wouldn't mess with it further.

I'd go into the Network Control Panel and see if under the TCP/V4 properties that you have the Gateway and DHCP entries correct or just enter static DNS addresses which should with the Gateway/Router address and the DNS addresses should open up the network to outside world.
                  Attached Files

Comment

George Thanks, I think. Somehow I'm down to one exclamation with an unknown device. The only other thing I see is that the wired connection says no Internet Access, but here I am typing. I think I need to put my OCD aside and just let things be.

Comment

Yeah, if you are typing from the PC that says no Internet connection then put is up to M$ BS!

Comment

Best to get the Lenova service bridge running in IE. That said IE doesn't really work well these days so use Chrome.

Once you have ID'd the computer the Lenova site will present you will all of the drivers for the computer. Don't let the site - service bridge install the drivers.

It is better to download the drivers then install them one by one.

Here is what the control panel network device drivers looks like on my W2016 Standard server build.

By the way don't install HS until you have completed the OS installation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	device manager.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	1430530

The unknown device above is a TPM (trusted platform module) device which I do not use.

Once you have installed all drivers and Lenova service bridge remove Lenova service bridge as it creates a service you do not want to run with Homeseer.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                        HS4 Pro - V4.1.10.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
                        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

A big thank you to George and Pete for the pointers and suggestions. I may bite the bullet and switch my Blue Iris Lenovo to Win7 as well. The HS machine is substantially quicker in the display of various HS4 pages with Win7.

Comment

BTW - I would download all of the drivers to a USB stick then reinstall Windows 7 Pro 64 bit or maybe use Windows 2016 Standard server which I like better than Windows 2019 server or ponder on using Linux. Here my HS Linux servers run W7e Virtual boxes and everything plays well together.

Windows 10 is a great desktop OS. But not a server OS and its purpose is to provide the ultimate visual experience with much eye candy. Every time I have thinned it out a bit the next update reinstalls everything. Here have another Lenova Tiny M93A (#4) running Windows 10. It is doing fine as a desktop OS after about 3 years.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                            X