Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to setup direct association between motion sensor and switch

Dear all,

I have multiple motion sensors in my garage to trigger the lights. The reason why I have multiple sensors is because the switching of the light was erratically at best. Unfortunately, despite 3 motion sensors I cannot get the light to switch on consistently. The response varies from instantaneous to more than 30 seconds. This is despite the fact that my controller is in the same garage.

So my conclusion was that it could be due to the fact that I have events to trigger the light (see attached screenshot)

So I have been trying and trying to get direct association to work between the motion sensors and the switch to rule out the lag from the controller. The problem I run into is twofold:
    1) The second or third group on the motion sensor can only trigger the root device of the switch (it's a double fibaro switch with two endpoints of which I want to switch only 1) -> this association does not seem to work (see attached the screenshot of the association in the motion sensor)
    2) When I assign the endpoint in a separate group to homeseer it does trigger but I think that in this way the controller is still involved so defeats the purpose.

So in short: could anyone help me to set-up the associations properly? How do I trigger one specific endpoint?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

I was experiencing long delays until I switched to the HomeSeer plug-in (AC) motion detectors. I don't know it that is a viable option for you, but if you can't find a programing solution and you have a good placement option you may want to give one a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_W View Post
      I was experiencing long delays until I switched to the HomeSeer plug-in (AC) motion detectors. I don't know it that is a viable option for you, but if you can't find a programing solution and you have a good placement option you may want to give one a try.
      I cannot find that particular plug-in. Can you send me a link?

Comment

He is not referring to a software plugin but to a "plug in" motion sensor : https://shop.homeseer.com/products/z-wave-multi-sensor

Comment

Thanks but that defeats the purpose as I already have 3 motion sensors in the Garage. Surely there must be a way to make them work?

Comment

Originally posted by mroovers View Post
            Thanks but that defeats the purpose as I already have 3 motion sensors in the Garage. Surely there must be a way to make them work?
            I just noticed that you are in the Netherlands so the AC detectors probably aren't viable in any case.

Comment

You obviously shouldn't have to use 4 different motion sensors to make this work....
              I guess you should focus on the root cause;
              either there is some interference, your bridge is too far from the sensors or you are missing an antenna.

Comment

Your association setup is incorrect. Once setup, direct associations are very fast and independent of the controller. What's the exact model of the Fibaro switch you are trying to control?

Comment

Hi TC1,

This is the double switch that I'm trying to direct associate to:
                  Fibaro DOUBLE RELAY SWITCH FGS-222-EN-A-v1.1
                  This is one of the motion sensors: Neo_Coolcam_motion_detector. I've attached the manual for both.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mroovers View Post
                    Hi TC1,

This is the double switch that I'm trying to direct associate to:
                    Fibaro DOUBLE RELAY SWITCH FGS-222-EN-A-v1.1
                    This is one of the motion sensors: Neo_Coolcam_motion_detector. I've attached the manual for both.
                    Sorry for the delayed response, the "regular" job always gets in the way, lol.

For your associations, this should work:

The motion sensor needs to be associated this way-
                    Group 1 --> Homeseer (this is usually node 1) - This is the lifeline status that let's HS know what's going on
                    Group 2 --> Fibaro switch channel - This is the basic command set, it will tell the switch channel to go on or off depending on the motion detector parameters. (You should have two devices in representing the Fibaro, pick the one with the correct light load.

On the Fibaro
                    Group 3 --> Homeseer (this is usually node 1) - This is the lifeline status that let's HS know what's going on - this is more than likely already setup when you included the Fibaro.

Hope this helps, let us know.

Comment

Hi TC,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I cannot get this setup to work as I can only associate the root of the fibaro double switch on the motion sensor (not the actual endpoints). When i associate the root of the double switch it doesn't do anything when the motion sensor is triggered.... Any other suggestion to associate the motion sensor to the double switch?

This is screenshot of the setup
                      Attached Files

Comment

mroovers when you look at the Z-wave tab for the Fibaro device and select the Association Group pull down, how many groups show up? I want to make sure before I suggest the next thing to try.

Also, which relay in the Fibaro are your trying to control, S1 or S2?

Comment

Hi TC,

The fibaro has 3 groups in the pulldown and I'm trying to control S2 but I could rewire the switch to control S1 instead if that's any easier. For now I have just reset the association to group 1 -> homeseer only. The other 2 groups are not associated.

Comment

Hi All,

It took me a couple of hours but I finally have it working: the neo coolcam motion sensor is now associated to homeseer via group 1 and the fibaro switch is directly associated via group 2. It did require me to rewire output 1 and output 2 on the fibaro switch as the direct association was auto triggering the wrong lights.

This is how I ended up setting up the motion sensor:

Click image for larger version

Name:	direct_association_working.PNG
Views:	71
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	1435746

The fibaro switch itself is only associated to homeseer via Group 1. I tried with associating group 3 as well but that seemed to trigger the secondary light to turn on.

It think that this secondary light on the switch is triggered via homeseer as I still have the other motion sensor trigger an event via homeseer to turn on the light as well. Since the fibaro switch was associated to homeseer via both group 1 and group 3, this event cause the secondary light to switch on as well. As such, I decided to remove the group 3 association between the Fibaro switch and homeseer.

In any case I'm not sure yet whether that's a good idea to have 1 motion sensor trigger the switch directly and have 1 motion sensor fire an event to turn on the same light). I will report back after I've had some time to properly test this,

For now the first results of the direct association between the neo coolcam motion sensor and the fibaro switch are actually quite positive: the lights switch on instantly.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi mroovers, my apologies for not responding sooner, unfortunately business and personal emergencies took precedence.

According to the documentation I could find the Fibaro should associate to Honmeseer via the 3rd Association.

FIBARO Double Relay Switch allows for the associations of three groups:

1st Association Group is assigned to S1 terminal – sending command frames to the associated devices whenever button connected to S1 terminal is pressed.
                              2nd Association Group is assigned to S2 terminal – sending command frames to the associated devices whenever button connected to S2 terminal is pressed.
                              3rd Association Group reports the device status and allows to assign single device only (the main controller by default).

https://manuals.fibaro.com/double-relay-switch/

Comment

Working...
                              X