Simple monitoring of backup generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple monitoring of backup generator

I have a Generac backup generator for my home and have installed the lame Mobile Link app which provides limited data, even if I decide to pay the outrageous subscription service.

I live in a developed neighborhood and only expect my generator to run during an occasional outage resulting from an ice or wind storm. I live pretty far north and the generator has a heater installed to keep the system warm for immediate start-up when the power goes out in the winter. My biggest fear is the heater fails and the generator is not able to start when the power inevitably fails.

I would like to install a sensor that can monitor the ambient temperature inside the housing and alert me if it falls below a setpoint near freezing. An alert that the generator is running (vibration? sound?) would also be nice. I see lots of motion sensors with temperature and window break (vibration) sensors but am not sure which way to go.

I am a newbie to HS4. Maybe someday I will feel confident to integrate the Mobile Link data via the MTQQ plug-in, but for now I am hoping to find a single multisensor that can be easily integrated to my existing HS4Pi system using the Z-wave plugin.

Any suggestions?

I think a temperature sensor to monitor the heater should be a straightforward and reliable addition. A vibration sensor might work to determine when the generator is running, but that would require some experimentation to find the best mounting location and assure reliable results. I'm pretty sure others have tried something similar but finding the posts will require some diligence in searching the board. (use Google advanced search and restrict the search to site:forums.homeseer.com)

I, fortunately, don't need a heater, but I do want to know if my generator exercises every week. I connected a line voltage relay to the generator output (ahead of the transfer switch). The relay then performs as a dry contact that I detect with a digital input sensor. I'm don't know if there is a Z-wave option.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

A single temperature sensor with enough range should do the trick. If the temperature inside the enclosure drops below a certain point you know the heater isn't working. If the temperature inside the enclosure goes above a certain point you now the engine is running (they get pretty hot pretty quick).

Comment

I use a fibaro water sensor as a mailbox being opened sensor. It is tied to a reed switch on the door. The distance is about 100' from sensor to z-wave stick. It has a temperature sensor so you can use that as suggested above. I foresee problems with the temperature due to ambient temperature differences.

Comment

Here are a few ideas... i went through exact same thing recently:
          How to get generator status into HS4? - HomeSeer Message Board

I ended up monitoring my inbox for the email you get from the stupid app that tells you when then generac is running... this works pretty well!
          Send email to HS3 that triggers an event/action? - HomeSeer Message Board

Comment

This would work as well.

https://github.com/jgyates/genmon

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_W View Post
              This would work as well.

https://github.com/jgyates/genmon
              I've done this with Homeseer and MQTT and it works well. They recently added ability to add temperature sensors, but I haven't done this add on yet.

Comment

You may want to check into an Arduino solution. One can use some cheap sensors as inputs such as temperature s. You could also input frequency and output volt age of generator. Another option for temperature is a wireless temperature sensor. I have several Ambient Weather devices integrated with HS.

Comment

I use a GenPulse unit made by Flight Systems. It primarily communicates using SMTP and their website portal but it does talk SNMP and I want to try using an SNMP plug-in for HomeSeer to talk to it. It's designed for commercial generators but I have a commercial Onan and Asco ATS at my house. I have it wired up to the fault, not in auto, and battery outputs of the generator, https://www.flightsystems.com/genpulse/

Comment

I would take a look at genmon @ GitHub - jgyates/genmon: Generac Generator Monitoring using a Raspberry Pi and WiFi . It is the most comprehensive solution available and is open source. I had built a plugin for Vera, but this works a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post

I've done this with Homeseer and MQTT and it works well. They recently added ability to add temperature sensors, but I haven't done this add on yet.
                      Yes great suggestion. I have been using this for a couple years and it has a lot of controller functionality for the Generac/Honeywell branded generators with the evolution Modbus controllers.

Comment

Working...
                      X