Wink Relay V2 to MQTT and HSTouch and root

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wink Relay V2 to MQTT and HSTouch and root

The Wink Relay's are dirt cheap these days on Ebay.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wink.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	1463342

Purchased one to tinker with.

Will post the step by step to root and remove Wink stuff and replace it with a manageable automation OS.

Hardware

1 - Wink Relay V2
    2 - computer power cord cut for use for configuration of Wink.

Noticed that the Wink Relay V2 has a hot, neutral plus two switch leads and no neutral lead. When I cut the computer power cord (old) it had a blue (white), red (black) and yellow lead. Using a VOM connected correct power cables from Wink to power cord using this drawing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Powercord.png Views:	0 Size:	3.1 KB ID:	1464529
    I also tinned the black and white wires on the computer cord connector so that they would fit in the Wink power connectors easily.

Connecting the Wink to back plate in a temporary for testing configuration.

23rd of March, 2021

Did the step by step yesterday and updated the WInk Relay. The methodology to convert it to using MQTT has been documented a few times over the last couple of years. I will post my step by step and a copy of all of the APK files that I utilzed. Basically you are converting the Wink relay to smart switch which utilizes MQTT. I am not sure where to install it. Might put it in to the bathroom and run Squeezeplayer for Android on it.

26th of March, 2021

One major issue here is that the Wink Relay 2 is running on Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) which was released around 2012. That said it is worth $30 for a new one right now. It can be easily used as a WiFi smart switch with a built in temperature and humidity sensor. Noticed much newer software locks up the device. I have done a few cold reboots starting from scratch each time. First best thing to do with the device is to root it and get familiar with using ADB (Android Debug Bridge). Here are some screen shots of what I have done. Next post below will do a step by step of software utilized and links and software that you cannot find anymore.

Found one of the first versions of VNC called Droid VNC. Works well and it is buried today in internetlandia. I find it easier than looking the the screen and using a BT keyboard and mouse or even touch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	droid-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	1465468
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Droid-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.4 KB ID:	1465469
    Wink Relay which uses a modded Edision build and speaks MQTT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_100366.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1465470

Need to get an old HSTouch version as the new one will not download from Google play store.

I did get Snaplink to run sort of. I need to find an old one of these as this one doesn't show the top menu bar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Droid-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	1465473

Looking for a Squeezeplayer that works on Android 4.3 at this time....more pics to come.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

First time configuration of the Wink Relay V2 .

Cold reset the device by:

1 - pushing on the tiny button below the screen and holding the top switch paddle down; then releasing the tiny button.

2 - a menu will come up with a variety of functions
    A - clear the cache first; after this is done it will return to same menu
    B - clear device and reinstall base OS image

3 - Install ADB on your computer. There is a version for Windows and Linux. Not sure relating to iOS.

I run it purely via command line and from a directory which I have kept software APK files. Easier that way.

4 - After the above it will alway boot to the initial Wink GUI. To get to the main Android interface cover the PIR with one finger and press the lower paddle until you hear both relays click, then the main Android menu will show up. Takes around 30 seconds. This will be fixed with the updates.

Rooting the Wink Relay.

5 - I would recommend rooting the device first before anything using the ADB application.

A - Use the attached version of Kingroot (Kingroot_5.3.7.20180619) as it worked for me and newer versions are not working. Max size has been reached so use the following link. Unzip the file and copy it over to a location that you will be working from. I renamed the file to kingroot.apk
    Kingroot_5.3.7
    B - Type
    adb connect IP of droid device
    C - Type
    adb push kingroot.apk /data/local/tmp/
    D - Type
    adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp
    adb install KingRoot.apk
    E - run the application from the Android screen. It will take a couple of minutes to root your device. Do not run the add on program which is installed with Kingroot.

Next we are installing SolidExplorer_2.5.7, HomeButton_v2.40,NovaLauncher_v554, EasyTouch_v4.63 and latest version MQTT version of a replacement for Edison called Wink-Relay-Manager.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Update
      2nd of April, 2021

Worth the $30 I paid for it new on Ebay but not really worth using for today's automation.

1 - The Android OS is too old at 4.3
      2 - the screen is too small to be functional unless you use very large buttons
      3 - the footprint with the two switches and display covering one box is too large.

These are my opinions on the device.

I can post the software add ons I used for it if there are folks interested.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      HS4 Lite -

Comment

I use HSTouch on a couple of these. Used adb to sideload hstouch apk the same as you documented kingroot above. Has been working well for a couple of years. I also use Wink-Relay-Manager that works very well.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed write up Pete, was considering buying some units to test out but that pretty much sums it up. I will stick with my wall tablets.
          Cheers

Comment

Thanks guys.

I like that it talks MQTT and I like that it runs Squeezeplayer to Bluetooth and Homeseer Touch...only I do not know where to install it....

- Pete

Auto mator
            HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
            X