No announcement yet.

Failed sending Z-Wave command to device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brientim, yes, I agree! TC1, yes, these are Z-Wave switches. How would I define a direct association between these switches? These particular switches are Jasco switches: https://byjasco.com/ge-branded-enbri...d-simplewiretm. I didn't know that was possible.

Comment

TC1, I see that I can add an association directly to the Switch using the HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug-In. However, I don't see how to associate three switches. I was able to add an association between two switches. And I tried to daisy-chain three together, but that didn't seem to work. And when I tried to add two associations (using Group 2), it would let me add the first switch association but the second one always got added as "application status," so it didn't control the switch. Can you tell me how I should properly configure the associations of three switches?

Comment

Originally posted by david.i.tanzer@gmail.com View Post
        Okay, I think I've finally made some progress! The Linked Devices were definitely causing a problem!
        That's great news and progress.

Not sure if you are familiar with the Easy Trigger plugin but that has the ability to keep devices synced. If you change the status of one device it can change the status of other devices accordingly...from memory.

iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post

* Back up the Z-Wave interface, erase it, then restore it.
          * The interface will now have no routes.
          * Do NOT do a full optimize, this is known to mess up a network
          * Find a 500 or 700 series node in the center of your home and optimize this one node.
          My network has been fully optimized many times with over 68 Zwave devices. It does work quite well and reliable (only Google Home integration is not well). My system used to execute commands poorly with so many random commands not executing (especially turning off a bunch of lights off at the same time - only half would turn off). I was flustered for sure!

What helped greatly for me was moving the USB controller stick away from the computer and to a better location. I purchased a 32.8ft active USB extension cable and relocated the controller to the center of the home. Once I did that, I did a optimize twice and then a full optimize. Every device typically increased its neighbor count from 3-10 to 20-35. I rarely get dropped commands and execution seems reasonably quick even when executing to turn off 15 lights off at the same time.

I've just added another network using a zooz 700 series USB stick connected to another 32.8ft active usb extension cable. I have put eight 700 series devices on this new network and so far it is working well.

Based on what you recommend to NOT perform a full optimize, if I do backup/erase/restore and eliminate all routes, does this kill all my EVENTS that I developed????? If it doesn't, I'm willing to give it a go to see if it can help improve speed/reliability further, but if I need to update each and every one of my events again, I'm not sure if its worth the time.

Comment

TC1, I see that I can add an association directly to the Switch using the HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug-In. However, I don't see how to associate three switches. I was able to add an association between two switches. And I tried to daisy-chain three together, but that didn't seem to work. And when I tried to add two associations (using Group 2), it would let me add the first switch association but the second one always got added as "application status," so it didn't control the switch. Can you tell me how I should properly configure the associations of three switches?
            Yes, you want to use Group 2 associations. Lets say you have 3 switches, A, B and C.

Switch A associations should be:
            A --> C
            A --> B

Switch B associations should be:
            B --> A
            B --> C

Switch C associations should be:
            C --> A
            C --> B

If for some reason that doesn't work then remove the group 2 associations and try using Group 3.

Comment

TC1, the weird thing is, when I try to make these associations, when I add them for Mudroom Light #1 and Mudroom Light #2, they properly refer to the Switch feature, but when I try to add them for Hall Light, they always get added for the Application Status feature, not the Switch, so it won't work. The drop down doesn't mention a feature, only the root device. But, for some reason, for the Mudroom Light 1 & 2 root devices it correctly picks the Switch feature, but for the Hall Light root device it incorrectly picks the Application Status feature. The same thing occurs if I try using Group 3.
              Attached Files

Comment

TC1, more information! I realized that the feature is irrelevant! The association is made regardless of the specified feature. BUT, there is a problem. If I make the associations between the three switches and I PHYSICALLY turn any of these switches on or off, the other two switches dutifully follow. HOWEVER, if I programmatically turn any of them on or off (i.e., by simply hitting the corresponding on or off button on a HomeSeer hub website page), then the association doesn't apply, and only the individual switch is affected. So, alas, it seems like I will need to maintain my Event-based synchronization technique.

Comment

Originally posted by mwoo68 View Post
                  Based on what you recommend to NOT perform a full optimize, if I do backup/erase/restore and eliminate all routes, does this kill all my EVENTS that I developed????? If it doesn't, I'm willing to give it a go to see if it can help improve speed/reliability further, but if I need to update each and every one of my events again, I'm not sure if its worth the time.
                  Devices themselves don't actually get removed, so therefore events are unaffected. But be 100% certain HS is capable of doing restores with your Z-Wave stick before you attempt this.

Comment

TC1, more information! I realized that the feature is irrelevant! The association is made regardless of the specified feature. BUT, there is a problem. If I make the associations between the three switches and I PHYSICALLY turn any of these switches on or off, the other two switches dutifully follow. HOWEVER, if I programmatically turn any of them on or off (i.e., by simply hitting the corresponding on or off button on a HomeSeer hub website page), then the association doesn't apply, and only the individual switch is affected. So, alas, it seems like I will need to maintain my Event-based synchronization technique.
                    IMO/experience, you need to invest in better devices. I use Cooper Aspire dimmers in a complex three-way setup in my kitchen to coordinate under-cab, sink, and above fridge lighting. The only thing controlling them within each other is Z-wave direct associations. They have a special parameter that when set, any device will change to what the other device is doing, regardless of whether it's from the local switch or from the Z-wave controller.

My last suggestion is that it looks like for the switches you have, Group 2 is for local control and Group 3 might be for remote (z-wave) control. Try the settings I suggested but set them for both Groups 2 and Group 3. Make sure to disable any events in Homeseer before testing/setting up.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

IMO/experience, you need to invest in better devices. I use Cooper Aspire dimmers in a complex three-way setup in my kitchen to coordinate under-cab, sink, and above fridge lighting. The only thing controlling them within each other is Z-wave direct associations. They have a special parameter that when set, any device will change to what the other device is doing, regardless of whether it's from the local switch or from the Z-wave controller.

My last suggestion is that it looks like for the switches you have, Group 2 is for local control and Group 3 might be for remote (z-wave) control. Try the settings I suggested but set them for both Groups 2 and Group 3. Make sure to disable any events in Homeseer before testing/setting up.
                      It appears that my Jasco switches don't operate like your Cooper switches do. I've included the snippet on groups from their instruction sheet (see first image). In any event, the event signaling mechanism I'm using seems to work just fine, and I haven't seen any errors since employing that in lieu of linked devices.

One word of caution is, when using the HomeSeer Z-Wave management tool, DO NOT use the drop down (see second image) to change the Node Number to change settings on a different node. On more than one occasion I did this and it munged my Node table!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ahh yes, I missed that part about in the instructions about Group 3, which is kind of cool (Scene control) since could set up different direct associations, ie, one switch could control two different things directly. Tap up to control the lights you want synced together, double tap to control something else like the blinds or an outside light.

The best part of direct associations is that it doesn't need Homeseer.... meaning that if HS is down or I remove it when I move, the lighting controls still work.

Comment

Is there any way to actually tell the signal strength to/from a Z-Wave Node? Or can you only infer a signal strength based off the last transfer speed?

I have some nodes that tend to drop out, both door locks. They'll work fine, and their last working route be Direct(40k), then they'll go completely unresponsive for long periods of time. 40K Seems to be as fast as I see any door lock list as its last working route, even though they state their speed as 100Kbps. I would have thought if signal strength was an issue, it would list a slower speed than that?

Comment

Working...
                          X