Turn on devices upon entry event not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn on devices upon entry event not working

I have a event setup to turn on devices once I enter the room, but only if there has not been motion in the room for at least 15 minutes.

See attached picture. I am assuming my issue is with the "AND IF Node 40 Z-Wave Int Workshop Motion has been Off-Closed-No Motion for at least 15m," condition. Logically the statement makes sense, but it's not working. I am assuming because there is no timer setup internally to track the time since device was set to "Off-Closed-No Motion"?

The motion detector is a HS-MS100+

Thank you for any assistance you provide.
    Attached Files

Unfortunately, the condition and the trigger contradict each other. As soon as the device changes to motion the condition becomes false. There are probably many ways to achieve what you want, but I'd do it with a virtual device. Turn the device on when the motion detector becomes motion, but after a short wait time. Turn it off when the motion detector becomes no motion. Then use the virtual device off time as your condition.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Then use the virtual device off time as your condition.

I am working on understanding this process as I have never used virtual devices before. Do I tie the virtual device to the motion sensor and use it as a proxy to track the time of device changes?

Comment

Originally posted by jchomeauto View Post
        I am working on understanding this process as I have never used virtual devices before. Do I tie the virtual device to the motion sensor and use it as a proxy to track the time of device changes?
        There is no need to explicitly tie the virtual device to a physical device, but that is, in effect, what you are doing by changing the state of the virtual device in sync with the motion detector. The key difference is that when you use a virtual device you have the freedom to add a short delay in the the timing. In this case, you can arrange it so the virtual device will remain off long enough to test its device time after the motion sensor changes to Motion. (To do that, you would just substitute the virtual device for the motion detector in the condition statement in your example. Instead of testing the motion detector for "Off-Closed-No Motion" you'd test the virtual device for Off for at least 15 minutes.)
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

It depends on what your goal is here. Are you concerned about spamming zwave commands when you get multiple motion events? Are you trying to stop the event from undoing manual adjustments to the light/fan level while you're in the room?

If you just want to stop spammed commands, I would remove the And If ...device at least 15 min.. condition and then use the Advanced Options and set your event not to re-run for 15 min. It will trigger the first time it see's motion but then there is a 15 min lockout before it could trigger again.

Another option is to replace your condition with one to see if light is not already > off. this would stop spam as well as preserving manual adjustments.

You could also use a pair of events to control a timer. On motion it would set the timer to zero. when no motion it would start the timer. Then replace your events condition and if the timer > 15 min.

Finally using a virtual device; I would call it 'motion timeout' with two states 'on' 'off' I'd use your current event but change your condition to see if the motion timeout virtual device was off. I'd then add a control to turn the virtual device 'on'. Finally you'd need an event that sets the virtual device to 'off' when there has ben no motion for exactly 15 min

HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
          Number of Devices: 449
          Number of Events: 210

Plug-Ins: Arduino, BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, WeatherXML, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Working...
          X