Session 6 - Sunday, March 7th, 2010, 1:00PM EST - Topic: Z-Wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Session 6 - Sunday, March 7th, 2010, 1:00PM EST - Topic: Z-Wave

Our 6th "How To" webinar session will focus on Z-Wave - we will try to answer all of your questions, share what we have learned about it, and provide tips on setting up a good Z-Wave network in your home. Please post your Z-Wave related questions here in this thread, and we will try to answer them during the session.

Use the following link to register. Once you register, the system will automatically email you a reminder.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/216972610
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

What components are required to create a ZNiffer? The full development kit has too much/costs too much for the average user. Would this be something HS could put together as a kit?

Comment

How do you delete/replace a faulty zwave device (using a ztroller) such that all scripts and events continue to operate?

Comment

How to: Use a Z-Troller as a secondary controller to a Z-Stick primary.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Configuration backup

Similar to dmurphy's comments - I would like to see best practices for backing up the z-wave interface configuration. Also, would adding a secondary controller simplify the interface replacement if the primary failed.

Comment

Hey Rick, I'm all ZWave & 100% stable except for battery devices that drive me crazy every now and then (e.g. temp, humid, door, water leak, PIR sensors, etc.). I'm 1200 miles from my HA project house and if ever there's a glitch I have no way of waking them to rescan, re-optimize, and re-associate and so they have to stay broken until my next visit. ZWave Beaming technology seems like this would help me tremendously, IF I understand it correctly, so I can wake battery devices on demand. Other than lock devices, do you see Beaming being introduced to other battery devices in the near term? And what are your thoughts on where Beaming is heading, is there any other technology coming down the pike to help make battery devices more 'remote' friendly? Thank you.
            Last edited by Olbrit; February 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM.
            All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

How to clean up zwave test settings and start again with a clean slate.

Explain the parent/child devices, and how they inter relate.

G

Comment

Could you discuss the practical approach to running HS2 as a "replicate receiver" to an external master?

I run a Merten network because HS2 & Merten battery devices does not cooperate.

It seems to me that HS2 does not use the optimized routing table to reach my devices.
                Some times the transmission fail without the log notifying.

Alternatively, you could show me how to get a 2-gang Merten battery switch running ;-)

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by aeklo View Post
                  Could you discuss the practical approach to running HS2 as a "replicate receiver" to an external master?

I run a Merten network because HS2 & Merten battery devices does not cooperate.

It seems to me that HS2 does not use the optimized routing table to reach my devices.
                  Some times the transmission fail without the log notifying.

Alternatively, you could show me how to get a 2-gang Merten battery switch running ;-)

Thanks!
                  I'll cover as much as I can to get you up and running, and then as a bonus I'll cover why the Merten engineers were on goofy-juice when they made those switches.
                  Regards,

Comment

Thanks Rick!

Unfortunately, Merten is one of the very few suppliers of Z-wave in Europe - that's why a lot of us "has to" live with their design flaws...

Maybe you could suggest some combo to make things work? Maybe by using HS2 pro, two z-wave receivers, and another brand for switches?

Comment

Originally posted by aeklo View Post
                      Thanks Rick!

Unfortunately, Merten is one of the very few suppliers of Z-wave in Europe - that's why a lot of us "has to" live with their design flaws...

Maybe you could suggest some combo to make things work? Maybe by using HS2 pro, two z-wave receivers, and another brand for switches?
                      I would much rather see Merten open up a little and listen to my reasons for why they should make some changes, because going with 2 interfaces and shipping U.S. product over there is going to end up costing you more! I got the Merten switches working, it was just excruciatingly painful. Perhaps in the webinar we can figure out the best way to go with them.
                      Regards,

Comment

Comment

Rick,

I will answer your question as best I can here because this won't be covered this weekend as it has nothing to do with Z-Wave. The mechanism for a battery device to report its battery level via Z-Wave all work fine (wake-up command class and battery command class), but the problem here is the detection of battery level. The accurate detection of battery levels has never been easy for electronic devices - you'll notice that MOST just do not do it - they just die when the battery dies. It involves analysis of the voltage coming out of the battery over time, and the problem is that different battery technologies, batteries made by different companies, and even the ambient temperature all affect the voltage levels and drop-off characteristics.

I think we have done a little more work to make this accurate on the HSM100 than some of the other ZW devices out there, but even our engineer has said that he has some new ways of improving this and hopes to do that in future generations of the HSM100.

The battery consumption on the HSM100 is also based around a typical use situation in combination with the voltage level, so if your unit is awake a lot where it uses 1000 times more power, then the formula is not going to be very accurate. The voltage drop-off for some batteries is very flat until they reach a certain point at which they drop off suddenly, so up until that drop off, there is a lot of estimation based upon time rather than voltage.

If you have first generation units from both manufacturers, then for sure you are in the worst case scenario.

I have a later generation HSM100 in my office, and while the battery reporting is working fine (had a report early this AM), I think the battery level is still hard to detect because the last time I changed the batteries was months and months ago, yet it says I have 95% battery! I did change the wake-up time to a huge amount such as once or twice a day, so perhaps the battery really is still that high! The wake-up interval and LED settings can make quite a difference.
                          Regards,

Comment

Using notebook to add devices with smartstick

How to move the SmartStick (WDUSB-10) from working hometroller to notebook to add new devices. Then how to transfer the z-wave devices into homeseeer running on the hometroller.

What software is needed to run on notebook and do you have to save anything before you add new devices.

Just starting to setup Z-wave in hose and have only 2 devices close to hometroller but need to add more but they are out of range to us the hometroller to add them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                              Rick,

I will answer your question as best I can here because this won't be covered this weekend as it has nothing to do with Z-Wave. The mechanism for a battery device to report its battery level via Z-Wave all work fine (wake-up command class and battery command class), but the problem here is the detection of battery level.

If you have first generation units from both manufacturers, then for sure you are in the worst case scenario.
                              Thanks Tink... the full explanation is what I expected and is adequate in defining the issues we see with battery-powered devices.

Thank you again, Rick Higgs

Comment

Working...
                              X