No announcement yet.

PLEASE PUT MESSAGE BOARD SUGGESTIONS HERE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I originally found a problem where my posts were being truncated after a single quote or double quote. I tracked that down to an anomaly with vBulletin caused by Apple's "Smart Punctuation" replacing straight quotes with curly quotes. That problem was identified and solved.

It turns out that ANY special characters can cause this problem If you copy and paste a string from a device that has the degree symbol, the text will be truncated at that symbol. If you copy text from a webpage, many of those have nonstandard quotes and apostrophes. I have written several posts over the last few days, only to find out a substantial portion of what I wrote did not save due to that issue.

There are a number of threads on vBulletin and other forums discussing this. It seems to affect everyone going from vB3 to vB4 or vB5.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Mark - I don't seem to be getting my subscription e-mail notifications any more. I had previously had instant subscriptions on for almost all of my threads, but I haven't gotten an e-mail since the upgrade. I logged in and saw I had two notifications for responses. Is there a known issue?

Comment

FYI - looks like it turned my e-mail notification setting to off from what it was before. Not sure if this happened to anyone else.

Comment

Not sure I like this new board. A lot of issues and old one seemed to work fine. Were there complaints about the old one? What was the motivation to change it?

HS3 3.0.0.423 & HSTouch 3.0.55 with 700 Devices, 358 Events
          Plugin's:
          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.206
          HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
          Plugin's:
          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

I am trying to like the new board. I don't mind change, but this is hard to read, and not organized in a way to make finding a topic easy. I personally like a list - one above the next, not side to side. There is also not enough difference in font sizes from the topic header to the underlying subtopics to scan easily, although the vB5 default style is better than the cool blue in that respect. I used to read down the latest post column, but now it is shortened and when i click on "see all" it just takes me to a search page (maybe just not fully set up yet to view all the posts in a chronological order). I agree with the post above that there is too much white. It is hard on the eyes, and probably makes it more difficult to read as well.
            Just my observations

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
              Not sure I like this new board. A lot of issues and old one seemed to work fine. Were there complaints about the old one? What was the motivation to change it?
              • Old board software was more than 10 years old
              • Old board look and feel was very dated
              • Old board admin functions were broken
              • Old board was a security risk - Google was sending us version warnings
              • Old board was turning off a lot of newer users.
              Use it for a while. I think it'll grow on you pretty quickly. There are some glitches that we're working through. I think we'll be in good shape in a week or so.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by larrywal32 View Post
                Mark - I don't seem to be getting my subscription e-mail notifications any more. I had previously had instant subscriptions on for almost all of my threads, but I haven't gotten an e-mail since the upgrade. I logged in and saw I had two notifications for responses. Is there a known issue?
                Try resubscribing to older threads. It's possible that the notifications weren't converted? I've been getting notifications so am not sure if there's an issue.

Comment

There actually were complaints about the old board. A few months ago there was a thread on the topic.

I found a sister thread to provide some interesting insight as well

Yesterday was a busy time around here. I have a few thoughts on this. Due to vBulletin no longer patching v3.X for security, this posed a threat, more to HomeSeer
                  HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                  Number of Devices: 1005
                  Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                    • Old board software was more than 10 years old
                    • Old board look and feel was very dated
                    • Old board admin functions were broken
                    • Old board was a security risk - Google was sending us version warnings
                    • Old board was turning off a lot of newer users.
                    Use it for a while. I think it'll grow on you pretty quickly. There are some glitches that we're working through. I think we'll be in good shape in a week or so.
                    Without the ability to mark all forms as "Read" there won't be much that can help (me) I'm afraid. To me, this is the biggest part of what's wrong. Substantially different behavior that I've been whining about for days - and I see others mention this specifically. Haven't seen that anyone(HS Management) truly understands what we are talking about. I'm sure partially because they have a different "Style" of using forums.

Many topics things interest me.
                    I do not need to drill down into forums & read specific topics most often.
                    I want to hit "New Posts" and be shown just that - new posts from the entire forum that were posted since I last "marked as read".
                    In the old version - "Marked as read" was global.
                    Marked as read button has now been removed it seems because no one can figure it out (yet) - I have faith in you.
                    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...42#post1237242

Thank you.

Comment

NOTE: First post of this only posted the first few words skipping words and not including three paragraph!!!! Second attempt to edit original text.

Is there a button to

Comment

Second attempt to edit my prior post still not working. It only posts a few words and then drops the rest of my sentences and paragraphs. Editing it from Safari browser on iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

Without the ability to mark all forms as "Read" there won't be much that can help (me) I'm afraid.
                          I've added a link in the nav bar "Mark All Forums Read". Give that a try and see if it fixes this for you.

Comment

Originally posted by pcp View Post
                            Second attempt to edit my prior post still not working. It only posts a few words and then drops the rest of my sentences and paragraphs. Editing it from Safari browser on iPad
                            We're working though an issue regarding posts from Apple products. Apparently, the extended characters are causing these problems. Hang in there. we'll get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by pcp View Post
                              You will need to go to settings on your iPad and turn "Smart Punctuation" off. That iOS feature turns single and double quotes into special curly quotes. vBulletin doesn't handle HTML special characters. You may also find the same problems with text you copy from devices or other websites. Hopefully there is a workaround for this as it can kill a post when you save it. It will look OK until it is saved, then all of the text following the special character is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                                I've added a link in the nav bar "Mark All Forums Read". Give that a try and see if it fixes this for you.
                                No change here.

Comment

Working...
                                X