Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New board software musings...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

    Rupp, is the Mark Forums Read link working for you or is it not working for anyone yet?
    It seems to be working but seems to leave a few posts marked as unread. Is this not working for you at all?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Rupp View Post

      It seems to be working but seems to leave a few posts marked as unread. Is this not working for you at all?
      As far as I can tell it doesn't do anything other than return me to the main page. When I'm in "New Posts" and click it, it kicks me back to the main page where various forums remain bolded. And when I click New Posts again, the same ones are there as before.

      Edit: And when I click Mark Forums Read on the main page, nothing happens at all--can't even see that there's a page refresh that I would think is needed to get rid of the bold.
      -Wade

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

        As far as I can tell it doesn't do anything other than return me to the main page. When I'm in "New Posts" and click it, it kicks me back to the main page where various forums remain bolded. And when I click New Posts again, the same ones are there as before.
        Yes, I'm seeing the same thing now. I'll have to investigate.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

          Rupp, is the Mark Forums Read link working for you or is it not working for anyone yet?
          It doesn't seem to do anything here, although I really don't see a need for that as "Today's Posts" shows all threads with new posts with the most recent on top. Once I have actually looked at a thread it is no longer bolded, making it very easy to see if there are any recent ones I have not read. "New Topics" will only show updated threads I have not read.

          What would be the use case for marking threads read that you have not, other than cosmetics?

          Randy Prade
          Aurora, CO
          Prades.net

          PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Rupp View Post

            Yes, I'm seeing the same thing now. I'll have to investigate.
            Try it now and let me know if this works for you.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Rupp View Post

              Try it now and let me know if this works for you.
              No difference here.

              Randy Prade
              Aurora, CO
              Prades.net

              PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rprade View Post
                No difference here.
                Nor here.
                -Wade

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  It doesn't seem to do anything here, although I really don't see a need for that as "Today's Posts" shows all threads with new posts with the most recent on top. Once I have actually looked at a thread it is no longer bolded, making it very easy to see if there are any recent ones I have not read. "New Topics" will only show updated threads I have not read.

                  What would be the use case for marking threads read that you have not, other than cosmetics?
                  I prefer to use the New Posts search so they disappear after reading. I sometimes set aside reading a given post and with the recent listing it can get buried way down the list. Also, if it works the way I hope it will work, New Posts will list more than just today's posts so when I'm away from the board for a couple days I'll see everything I've missed.

                  Edit: I should add that clicking through posts I don't care to read is tedious, whereas Mark Forums Read cleans out the list after I've read what I want to. Just my preference; there's no right or wrong way I suppose.
                  -Wade

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Rupp View Post

                    Try it now and let me know if this works for you.
                    Still not working for me either. I see the Label has changed but not the functioning.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Thanks for adding the new posts button. But how do I mark all as read, even if I don't read all of them?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Here is the issue - I think it affects certain people - and the way they like to use a given message board.
                        In the past, one could scroll through hundreds of posts, page by page - then - click "Mark Forums Read".
                        Then - coming back whenever - or just staying logged in and present after hitting the "Mark Forums Read" button you could then click "New Posts"
                        THEN - you would be shown new posts only. NOTE - this means there may only have been 3 posts visible - but you knew they were "New" since the last time you clicked on "Mark Forums Read".
                        This behavior carried between different computers and browsers. I could click "Mark Forums Read" on a Mac, before I left the office - then 2-3 hours later, at home, I would access via Firefox or Chrome and only the posts that were posted would be shown to me. May only be 25 posts or so in that span of time - but you knew there were no other posts made - anywhere on the board.
                        This was highly efficient and I'm amazed not more people are asking about this loss of functionality.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          Here is the issue - I think it affects certain people - and the way they like to use a given message board.
                          In the past, one could scroll through hundreds of posts, page by page - then - click "Mark Forums Read".
                          Then - coming back whenever - or just staying logged in and present after hitting the "Mark Forums Read" button you could then click "New Posts"
                          THEN - you would be shown new posts only. NOTE - this means there may only have been 3 posts visible - but you knew they were "New" since the last time you clicked on "Mark Forums Read".
                          This behavior carried between different computers and browsers. I could click "Mark Forums Read" on a Mac, before I left the office - then 2-3 hours later, at home, I would access via Firefox or Chrome and only the posts that were posted would be shown to me. May only be 25 posts or so in that span of time - but you knew there were no other posts made - anywhere on the board.
                          This was highly efficient and I'm amazed not more people are asking about this loss of functionality.
                          And so - if you read all the words, you will understand at least what *I* have been whining about.

                          But wait - here is an easier way to fix this - simply remove the "Mark Forums Read" button?? What's the deal? Arrgh... See screenshot.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	0
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1237234

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            And so - if you are still with me and understand what I'm saying, here are two more links demonstrating related failure. Like I tell my boss - "If you do not read all the words - there is a reason you do not understand what I'm saying". You can only type so much before a manager starts reading ahead - LOL.

                            Here are the posts. Thank you.

                            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...70#post1236670

                            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...50#post1236750

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X