New board software musings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New board software musings...

Yesterday was a busy time around here. I have a few thoughts on this.

Due to vBulletin no longer patching v3.X for security, this posed a threat, more to HomeSeer than to the users. They had to move to a more secure platform. The risks to we users was minimal since there is little critical personal data that could be breached by a hack. HomeSeer was at risk of the forum being sabotaged, rendered inoperative or hacked for the user database.

While there are a lot of varieties of forum software, I think the choice to stick with vBulletin was the correct one. I went through updating two forums from UBBThreads to vBulletin and we had to relegate several years of information to a read-only archive. This proved to be a disaster for almost a year, because users could not reply to old threads. For HomeSeer this would be 17 years of information. The choice to stick with vBulletin allowed them to retain all of the previous threads in a completely interactive format. I would have made the same choice.

Having made the transition from UBBTHreads to vBulletin in the early 2000s, and later to vBulletin 4 from vBulletin 3, I can say that HomeSeer did a great job making a smooth transition. Each of our tries at transition were difficult at best and required several dry runs before flipping the switch. Even after carefully testing in dry runs, it still took us a week or more to correct problems introduced in the transition. While there were some glitches at the initial rollout yesterday and while some remain, they deserve kudos for how well it went.

When we moved from UBBThreads to vBulletin we had over 10,000 members with about half of them being reasonably active. The number of complaining parties was overwhelming the first day. There were many members who stated they could not deal with the new software and would go away. They ended up staying. Within 48 hours some people began to appreciate some of the new features and within a week many said they wouldn't want to go back. It takes time for people to get accustomed to new and it takes time for the forum administrators to fine tune the settings and add missing features.

There are a lot of changes under the hood in vB5 from vB3 and learning a new workflow to posting links and images is a little challenging, but I remain supportive of the change. This software does all the same things as the old software, but in a different way. After 24 hours, I am already getting comfortable with this new home.

I will continue to let HomeSeer know of problems as I encounter them, but this change has been very close to painless. As I write this post and look at my browser I am virtually certain that I will get so accustomed to this new software that the old will be hard to use. There are many things I like better about vB5. While vB5 is more resource hungry, after adding more cores to the server, this is as fast or faster than vB3.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Here-Here Randy. I agree... change is hard and harder for others. I agree the migration went very smoothly for the magnitude of the effort. I also agree that it was wise to stay with vBulletin... even if I wish it had more features (copy paste of screenshots, code syntax highligting). However as with previous versions I'm sure plugins will be created for those features.

All in all it is an improvement.

Comment

Was there a way to directly paste a screenshot in the old software? I always had to use snaggit, printscreen and Paint or Snaggit to capture a screenshot, then upload it and insert it. That process still works with vB5.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        Yesterday was a busy time around here. I have a few thoughts on this.
        Thanks for the measured comments.
        -Wade

Comment

Was there a way to directly paste a screenshot in the old software? I always had to use snaggit, printscreen and Paint or Snaggit to capture a screenshot, then upload it and insert it. That process still works with vB5
          No... there was a plugin I've seen referenced but not sure what version of vBulletin. I like the Discourse features of copy/paste and link snippets and code syntax. If we could get those features in vBulletin then it would be great.

Until then I still have to print sceen, paste to snaggy, edit, insert link.... fun.

Comment

Is there a function like the old User CP which would show those threads that I have subscribed to that have had updates I've not read?

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
              Here-Here Randy. I agree... change is hard and harder for others. I agree the migration went very smoothly for the magnitude of the effort. I also agree that it was wise to stay with vBulletin... even if I wish it had more features (copy paste of screenshots, code syntax highligting). However as with previous versions I'm sure plugins will be created for those features.

All in all it is an improvement.
              I'm not disputing that the move was needed, or that a lot of people worked their butts off to make this happen. That said, for me, the inability to see new posts make the bb unusable. I'm glad that most people are having a better experience with this board than the old one. Still, even if someone has an answer for the new post issue, I'd never be able to find it.
              Don

Comment

I capture a screenshot with Windows snipping tool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	85
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1236899

Save the screenshot to the desktop

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	115
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1236900

upload the attachment(s) to the forum using the "Upload Attachments" button

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	77
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1236901
                Put my cursor to the location where I want the image and select how I want to insert the image. This new system is better because it allows you to choose a thumbnail, or three different image sizes. This is more flexible than the old system.

Comment

I capture a screenshot with Windows snipping tool.
                  I'm doing it the same way. Works pretty well I think.
                  -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                    Is there a function like the old User CP which would show those threads that I have subscribed to that have had updates I've not read?
                    Yes. Click on your name at the upper right

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1236916

select My Profile

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	71
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1236917

Then Subscriptions

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	77
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1236918

You will see all of your subscriptions

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	80
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1236919

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post

I'm not disputing that the move was needed, or that a lot of people worked their butts off to make this happen. That said, for me, the inability to see new posts make the bb unusable. I'm glad that most people are having a better experience with this board than the old one. Still, even if someone has an answer for the new post issue, I'd never be able to find it.
                      Do you have "New Topics" and "Today's Posts" at the top? I find both to be useful, but prefer "Today's Posts". Today's posts will show all threads updated today. They are bolded if I haven't read them, but they are all there. "New Topics" displays all threads with new posts I have not read and they will disappear from the list when I read them.

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post

Have you tried logging out and then logging back in as I put in a fix for this earlier today.
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Do you have "New Topics" and "Today's Posts" at the top? I find both to be useful, but prefer "Today's Posts". Today's posts will show all threads updated today. They are bolded if I haven't read them, but they are all there. "New Topics" displays all threads with new posts I have not read and they will disappear from the list when I read them.
                          Now I do. Will give both of your suggestions and see if it works for me.
                          Thanks.
                          Don

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            Have you tried logging out and then logging back in as I put in a fix for this earlier today.
                            Yes, a couple of times. I'm going to try Randy's suggestions and see if I can live with that. :-)
                            Don

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              Rupp, is the Mark Forums Read link working for you or is it not working for anyone yet?
                              Last edited by Wade; July 28, 2018, 03:21 PM. Reason: grammar
                              -Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X