Rules governing post deletion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rules governing post deletion?

There appears to be some distinction among Board participants that determines who is allowed to delete (their own) posts and who isn't. Limited data suggests that new users do not initially have the ability, but it is not clear 1) why that is, and 2) what determines when that ability is granted.

As a practical matter, it is probably more likely that a new member of the board will make an errant post that they'd like to delete than those with more experience, so the existence of such a distinction is puzzling on its face.

Can anyone provide any clarification?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Looks to be maybe a user "topic moderation" option that is enabled after a few posts?

I am not on many forums these days and do see the option enabled on the forums that I am on.

Mark or Rich might know?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I would check with macromark
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
        I would check with macromark
        When a user first signs up for the board, he is added to the "registered users" group and his first post is moderated (usually by Rupp, sometimes by me). After the first post is approved, the user is automatically promoted to the "approved users" group. This usually happens within an hour of the first post being approved. Approved users (all of them) are able to delete their posts as long as they within a topic. HOWEVER, approved users are not allowed to delete their own topic-creating posts since doing so would also delete other user posts within the topic they created.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post

When a user first signs up for the board, he is added to the "registered users" group and his first post is moderated (usually by Rupp, sometimes by me). After the first post is approved, the user is automatically promoted to the "approved users" group. This usually happens within an hour of the first post being approved. Approved users (all of them) are able to delete their posts as long as they within a topic. HOWEVER, approved users are not allowed to delete their own topic-creating posts since doing so would also delete other user posts within the topic they created.
          Mark,
          Thanks for the clarification, but
          1. The approval process to become an "approved user" seems to take more time that I would have guessed. See this thread, for example: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-re-hs-speaker
          2. A common reason to delete a post is because it starts a thread that the OP didn't intend. It's a post that basically ends up saying something like ["I can't figure out how to delete this" / "ignore this post" / "delete me"] or some other variant. The thread - at that point - doesn't have any other posts. However, as soon as anyone responds with instructions or a link to instructions for deleting the post, it does have another post. Was this rule written by Joseph Heller?
          Is there any way for someone (including a relatively new user) to delete the first post of a thread they've just mistakenly created?
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            [/LIST]Is there any way for someone (including a relatively new user) to delete the first post of a thread they've just mistakenly created?
            Just send a note to Rupp and he'll be able to do it for you.

Comment

I'm the "instigator" here ... IMO the policy of not letting a relatively junior member delete their own topics if it includes comments by others makes sense. But it would be better if that member could delete their posts UNTIL another member posts a comment.

I think this is a common case: you post something stupid (happens to me regularly) - then figure out the problem a few minutes later, and want to return to delete the post in part not to waste other member's time replying or even having to read the unwanted post.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                Just send a note to Rupp and he'll be able to do it for you.
                And a new user would know to do this because. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  And a new user would know to do this because. . .
                  ... because you'd probably reach out to a board admin if you needed help with a message board?

Comment

Originally posted by JKaplan View Post
                    But it would be better if that member could delete their posts UNTIL another member posts a comment.
                    Agreed but there is no such setting.

Comment

While I'm complaining ...

Perhaps I'm just missing something, but even in Advanced Search i can't seem to get conjunction of search terms, or even compound search terms. For example, I just tried searching on "script examples", and I get anything including "script" (whether or not surrounded by spaces) or including "examples". I believe normal practice is to treat quoted strings as a single search key ... but not here. (script AND examples) doesn't work either.

This not only severely limits the utility of searching, it increases customer support burden because I have to resort to opening tickets when the answer likely exists somewhere in the forums, but I can't find it.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by JKaplan View Post
                        While I'm complaining ...

Perhaps I'm just missing something, but even in Advanced Search i can't seem to get conjunction of search terms, or even compound search terms. For example, I just tried searching on "script examples", and I get anything including "script" (whether or not surrounded by spaces) or including "examples". I believe normal practice is to treat quoted strings as a single search key ... but not here. (script AND examples) doesn't work either.

This not only severely limits the utility of searching, it increases customer support burden because I have to resort to opening tickets when the answer likely exists somewhere in the forums, but I can't find it.

Jerry
                        Use Google Advanced site search. It's not perfect, but it is useful compared to the native search here and on just about every other forum on the net.

Comment

Use Google:

"script examples" site:forums.homeseer.com
                          Jon

Comment

will do, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X