Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Message Board forum reorganization is underway.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macromark View Post
    We already have a forum for message board related issues; this one. If the board is actually down though... there's no way to communicate the issue on the board, right?
    Fair enough--for unplanned outages on the forum. Discussion in this thread had expanded to other servers--specifically MyHS--and my point is a subforum for all HS servers notifications--in advance when planned. I can't remember the last time I received a notification from status.homeseer.com subscription (I'll resubscribe momentarily to be sure it's not lost), and it's simple and relatively reliable--if not particularly prompt--to receive opt-in forum notifications for all of us on this board.
    -Wade

Comment

We've tweaked the settings this morning to fix some of the issues on the service. We'll keep an eye on it. Note that the service is for connectivity issues though. If the status service can ping our resource, it will show 'operational'. If the 'outage' is related to something other than connectivity (like a glitch on the Alexa service), we don't have an easy way to detect that.
      That ahould not be to hard to automate. After all, this is an automation forum ;-)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Comment

The "maintenance" outage was unplanned and was the result of a glitch.
        Mark,

Referring to the cause of an outage as a 'glitch' does not reflect well on HST.

In my 30 years in software development, support and leadership, when someone uses the word 'glitch' to describe an outage, it usually means they aren't capable or willing to find the real cause or they do know what caused it and prefer not to disclose the reason for the outage because it would reveal an embarrassing human failure..

Just saying....

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post

Mark,

Referring to the cause of an outage as a 'glitch' does not reflect well on HST.

In my 30 years in software development, support and leadership, when someone uses the word 'glitch' to describe an outage, it usually means they aren't capable or willing to find the real cause or they do know what caused it and prefer not to disclose the reason for the outage because it would reveal an embarrassing human failure..

Just saying....

Robert
          A feature (Channel Manager) in the vBulletin software that we use for the forum choked on the size of the database (roughly 8 GB) and could not complete successfully. Rather than cross our fingers and hope for the best, we opted to suspend the board and to restore it from a snapshot. I call that a glitch. If it makes you feel better to point your finger at my "embarrassing human failure", knock yourself out.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X