No announcement yet.

Ignore This

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ignore This

    Others are reporting difficulty seeing screen shots I am submitting in my posts. (The board software is not complaining about my image submissions.) I am investigating the possibility that I may have browser or browser extension settings that are preventing successful upload of my screen shots.

    The only way I know to test this hypothesis is to change my settings, then upload an image, then see whether I can get it back. This is the first test.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-08-20_7-38-49.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1490637

    I can see it
    Learn About HomeSeer


      I see your uploaded images.

      What OS and what extensions and what Internet browser?

      Here currently typing on T-Mobile Windows 11 HP Tablet using newest Edge Browser with no extensions installed and no issues.
      - Pete

      Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
      Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
      HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

      X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant


        Hi Pete,

        My forum work is done on a Win 10 Pro desktop. I use the latest versions of both Chrome and MS Edge.

        I was reluctant to believe I was doing anything wrong because (a) I have substantial history uploading screen shots with no complaints, and (b) the uploads in question looked good to me. TC1 was a big help when he suggested I clear my local browser cache, then try again. He was right -- I was seeing my screen grabs from my cache, not the forum.

        So I looked at both browsers and their extensions. The questionable extensions were Kasperskey Protection, MS Defender, and uBlock Origin. It turned out that Kaspersky Protection has a check box option called "Allow access to file URLs." The default is not checked. I checked the box, and suddenly my screen grabs started uploading properly.

        Problem solved, but the solution leaves a bad taste in my mouth for two reasons:
        • The forum server never gave me the slightest indication that it was unable to gather my uploads. Instead, it acted as if everything were fine, even displaying the usual "upload in progress" dots. When it failed to upload, I think it should have told me so.
        • A lot of my software, including Kaspersky, updates itself more or less whenever it pleases. My screen grabs used to upload reliably. Kaspersky must have added this new restriction recently without bringing it to my attention.
        I have learned a lot from many of your posts. Thank you.