Our attempt to upgrade the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our attempt to upgrade the board

It appeared that Vbulletin ver 5 had some nice features and since we were moving the board to a faster server we thought we would upgrade. As many noticed, that did not go so well. VB 5 appears to be buggy and some features we liked were missing, so for now we are staying with VB 3.8. However, you should see increased performance on this new server.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I think this is the right decision.
    vB 5 is very very buggy and very very slow!

Comment

I admire your courage of taking this on while dealing with HS3.

Personally, I thought the look of the new board was nice, but was hard to deal with. I'm glad to be back with the old board.

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      It appeared that Vbulletin ver 5 had some nice features and since we were moving the board to a faster server we thought we would upgrade. As many noticed, that did not go so well. VB 5 appears to be buggy and some features we liked were missing, so for now we are staying with VB 3.8. However, you should see increased performance on this new server.
      Don

Comment

Thanks for going back. I truely hated V5 as it was causing much grief...

Got to admire you guys for trying.

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
          I admire your courage of taking this on while dealing with HS3.

Personally, I thought the look of the new board was nice, but was hard to deal with. I'm glad to be back with the old board.
          Agreed, I liked the look of the new board too but the gains were outweighed by the loses. Performance, in particular, suffered. "Saves" in the admin control panel were taking up to 45 seconds!

At some point, we may try again. We'll see...

Comment

Performance, in particular, suffered
            Yup; thought it was my ISP connection for a while there.

Thank-you for falling back to previous forum version.
            Last edited by Pete; August 30, 2013, 06:45 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I admire you trying to migrate to a new server and upgrade versions...

I tried the http://board.homeseer.com/usercp.php link but get an error:

The requested URL /settings/profile was not found on this server.
              Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at board.homeseer.com Port 80
              Anybody else running into this? Thanks

Comment

Nice group of people here. Any other board would have had members coming down with pitchforks and torches. Here they admire the effort! Well done, everyone! And yes, I am talking about other forums where people work with servers, message boards, etc.

Karl
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events
                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Works for me; might want to try again.

Originally posted by pcp View Post
                  I admire you trying to migrate to a new server and upgrade versions...

I tried the http://board.homeseer.com/usercp.php link but get an error:

The requested URL /settings/profile was not found on this server.
                  Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at board.homeseer.com Port 80
                  Anybody else running into this? Thanks
                  Don

Comment

5 looked cool, but was not as easy to use as this one. Glad you switched back.

Next time give us the number to the BBS prior to shutting the server down.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                      I stopped upgrading at VB 4 (and even then turned off most of the new "features') for much the same reason. BBS's are becoming dinosaurs nowadays (except for focused based sites such as this), so VB has tried to keep up with the social sites by adding everything but the kitchen sink to it's products detriment.
                      Also it seems VB 4.x had more vulnerabilities than 3.x did so staying there might not be such a bad idea. At a minimum if you do upgrade, spend some time building a similar theme for it, so it at least "looks" similar to the previous one, especially colors and borders, things that the eye is used to seeing (ie GUI 101)

Z

Comment

I like this board much better as well. Thanks for keeping it a little longer

Comment

Wasn't the old "SERVER" a Celeron computer?

I like the looks of this main page now.

Cheers

~Bill

Comment

Like others, I appreciate the attempts at improvement, but I was honestly pleased to see the old look and feel.

Maybe after CEDIA and HS3 beta -> release a dev forum can be VM'd so you guys can find all those bugs, then try again. I'd be willing to test any dev forum.
                            huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

This board is currently running on new much faster server, faster processor, more cores and more memory.

Since we were moving it anyway, we thought it was a good time to upgrade, turned out not to be a good time. We did upgrade to the very latest V B 3.8 which patches some security holes. The board seems pretty snappy from my location. I suspect we will stay on this version for a while. Users appear to like the tapatalk interface for mobile also.

Comment

Working...
                              X