Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows sensors state update on HS server power loss or reboot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows sensors state update on HS server power loss or reboot?

Hi folks.

I have a general question about windows sensors. This is one way one way communication, right? From sensor to HS, unless the sensor is in program (inclusion) mode.

So the sensor only sends out data on status change. Open/close. What in case when HS server gets rebooted or shots down for any of reasons like power down etc.. When do those sensors updates their state? On next status change.

Scenario. There is power blackout. Sensors work as those are battery powered, server does not. I go and open doors and windows while the server is down. Server reboots. Will it get the current state of the sensors automatically? Do the sensors send out state periodically for let's say few minutes just to update the state with HS?

How does that work?

Thank you for clarifying it for me.

Br,
    Dali

Most battery operated devices will allow you to queue a poll for the next wake up. You can set up an Event to poll specific devices when HomeSeer is started. It would depend on the wakeup interval for these devices as to when the poll would be answered.

You would need to create an Event to do the polling and this Event would then be called in your startup script so it runs when HS is started. I do all sorts of things when my system is started which I outlined in this post. It might give you some ideas. While I don't have any critical battery operated devices, I do poll a few critical Z-Wave devices where I absolutely need to know their state, each time the system is started.

I also built a script that will poll EVERY Z-Wave device in my system, but it is overkill with about 120 root devices. I am working on a method that will determine how long HomeSeer was down and running that script if it has been over XX hours.
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Thank you for reply rpade.

In this particular window/door sensor (Neo Coolcam NAS-DS01Z) there is a parameter "Wake up time interval" that can be set to min=5 minutes, max=194 days. So what does that actually mean in practice? That the sensor will send it's status to HS every X time?

Thank you
      Br,
      Dali

Comment

Originally posted by Kdiamond View Post
        Thank you for reply rpade.

In this particular window/door sensor (Neo Coolcam NAS-DS01Z) there is a parameter "Wake up time interval" that can be set to min=5 minutes, max=194 days. So what does that actually mean in practice? That the sensor will send it's status to HS every X time?

Thank you
        Br,
        Dali
        Rich or someone else with specific knowledge should answer this, but it is my understanding that the devices do not update their status on a wake up. They will only send a status update upon status change. The wake up will allow it to expound to a queued poll request.

It it would be possible to test. Set the wake up interval very frequent, shut down HomeSeer, change the state of one of the sensors, restart HomeSeer and see if the device updates within the wake up period. If it does not, manually poll the device and see if it updates within the wake up period.
        Randy Prade
        Aurora, CO
        Prades.net

Comment

Thanks, I'm getting it bit by bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-12_215805.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1259086

This event will get the state of the device (and all it's child devices) on it's next wake up cycle. But now it has to be manually triggered. Can you give me a hint how to make this event run on startup. You mentioned a startup script.

Thank you
          Br,
          Dali

Comment

Got it.

Added 2 lines in Startup.vb. It seems to be working

hs.WaitSecs(15)
            hs.TriggerEvent("Startup1")

Comment

Originally posted by Kdiamond View Post
              Got it.

Added 2 lines in Startup.vb. It seems to be working

hs.WaitSecs(15)
              hs.TriggerEvent("Startup1")
              Good. Remember "hs.WaitSecs(15)" delays further processing and execution of the startup script, so everything after is is suspended for 15 seconds. This is not a problem if it is at the bottom of the script. There is another command that can be used to delay execution of the Event, without suspending the startup.vb script processing. It would be "hs.DelayTrigger (15, "Startup1")" this runs an Event with a delay of 15 seconds.

Randy Prade
              Aurora, CO
              Prades.net

Comment

Perfect!!! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X