Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion sensors showing 0% battery in HS3

Hi,

I am a newbie HS3 Pro user and this is my first post, so please bear with me :-).

I have just installed a pair of recently purchased Ecolink PIR-ZWAVE2 motion sensors. The sensors are configured to control our thermostat via a virtual device which maintains the occupancy status of our home. Also they send alerts when we are away and motion is detected.

The problem I am having is that they continue to show 0% battery despite the fact that they work fine and (presumably) have good batteries which were included.

Any ideas on how to get the device to report actual battery level?

Thanks

Dennis
    Attached Files

FWIW, except for locks, I can never get accurate battery readings off Z-Wave battery nodes in HS3. I have a bunch of EverSpring water sensors. When I first include them, they show 0% like your sensors. If I remove the batteries and re-insert them, they go to 100%. But then they sit there, even after a year.

Comment

I see basically the same thing, I have 3 types of devices that seem to properly report battery status: Kwikset deadbolts, Everspring Luminosity sensors and CT30 thermostats. Strangely, I see the same as Mike for the Everspring water sensors and other battery powered devices. My Fortrezz water sensors will either show 0 or 99 and I have one that seems to be alternating between those values on a daily basis, so I'm expecting the battery is almost dead.

Cheers
      Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      HS 3.0.0.548: 1965 Devices 1146 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by MrWassen View Post
        Hi,

I am a newbie HS3 Pro user and this is my first post, so please bear with me :-).

I have just installed a pair of recently purchased Ecolink PIR-ZWAVE2 motion sensors. The sensors are configured to control our thermostat via a virtual device which maintains the occupancy status of our home. Also they send alerts when we are away and motion is detected.

The problem I am having is that they continue to show 0% battery despite the fact that they work fine and (presumably) have good batteries which were included.

Any ideas on how to get the device to report actual battery level?

Thanks

Dennis
        I will add one observation. The battery is not at 0%, its status has never been updated in HomeSeer. You can tell because there is no update date or time. There may be a configuration parameter to set it to report battery. Alternately, set it to poll the battery once every 12 or 24 hours. It is my understanding that on most battery powered devices a poll request is queued for the next time it wakes up. If you set it to poll once every 12 hours, you should see a Last Update date and time in that column tomorrow.

A manual I find online is here at HomeSeer, but it doesn't give any parameters and I cannot find any parameters online. All I can find is this which says it supports the Battery command class.

With regard to battery reporting accuracy, it is all over the map, but I have generally been able to count on the devices telling me when they are low.
        Randy Prade
        Aurora, CO
        Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Same here, I just added several battery powered devices and almost all showed 0% when first included. After a Test Connectivity and/or Rescan they show the battery value. When this doesn't work, taking out the battery and putting it back in will work as Mike said. Then there are some devices, that will show 0% no matter what. I have one Everspring door sensor that I use for the driveway gate and is always 0%. The other Everspring shows normal battery values.
          I haven't tried is the polling option. Will test it out now.
          Tom
          baby steps...starting again with HS3
          HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
          HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
          Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
          In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
          System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Man! I was hoping this was the trick that was going to do it. But the device already had polling set to 12hrs.
            Tom
            baby steps...starting again with HS3
            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
              Man! I was hoping this was the trick that was going to do it. But the device already had polling set to 12hrs.
              In order for polling to work the device has to wake up. Some of the devices never wake up, especially Everspring door/window sensors.

I had one in an outbuilding that was still giving door open/close notices and showing 100% battery one day then it stopped sending notices and was still at 100% - with almost completely dead batteries. The last update on the battery status was in February, when it was included.
              Randy Prade
              Aurora, CO
              Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                In order for polling to work the device has to wake up. Some of the devices never wake up, especially Everspring door/window sensors.

I had one in an outbuilding that was still giving door open/close notices and showing 100% battery one day then it stopped sending notices and was still at 100% - with almost completely dead batteries. The last update on the battery status was in February, when it was included.
                Same here. What I don't understand is that EverSpring has parameters by which it's supposed to wake up and report battery life. But it doesn not.

Would love to find a door/window sensor with external inputs that reports battery life property.

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback. I checked the node information for these devices and they both state that the battery child device is set to poll every 12 hrs.

Are there other recommended sensors that reliably report on battery levels?

Thanks again

Dennis
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have the same motion sensors and love them. They are the fastest reacting zwave sensors I have ever used. Almost instant. Anyways, I have the same issue with all of my battery devices except the aeon multi sensors seem to report quickly. One thing I learned with battery devices, they test patience and don't expect everything to update immediately. I usually give them a couple days to sort things out after install. If the motion is working, then just let it be for a bit. I did notice these sensors took a couple days to report battery but now they report daily.

Now to accuracy, I am not sure. I installed 3 about 4 months ago and all but 1 still read 100 and the other is 99. So either it's useless or these things really don't use a lot of power.

Comment

From my experience most Z-Wave devices do not report their battery status very accurately if at all. This seems to be the weakest attribute to Z-Wave battery operated devices. It seems that nearly all devices report a high value till the battery is depleted and then a very low value. This is how I know it's time to change out the batteries.
                      -Rupp
                      sigpic

Comment

I asked a question on Amazon regarding the Ecolink door/window sensors about reporting battery life. Two people responded saying that they have had success with them in this respect, although neither was using HomeSeer.

I'm thinking of going to these sensors to use as water sensors, hooking up their external contact to this:

http://www.getfloodstop.com/product_p/xs-01.htm

I prefer this type of water sensor anyway -- much more likely to be triggered as compared to the Z-Wave water sensors I've seen, and can lay flat on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post

With respect to this, I thought HomeSeer queues polls, and then when the device wakes up on its regular schedule, it'll send? Although doesn't seem to work in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            From my experience most Z-Wave devices do not report their battery status very accurately if at all. This seems to be the weakest attribute to Z-Wave battery operated devices. It seems that nearly all devices report a high value till the battery is depleted and then a very low value. This is how I know it's time to change out the batteries.
                            Rupp, take a look at the attached, from the EverSpring manual. Can we set the advanced programming options specified for wake-up interval? This is for the ST812 water sensor.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                              I have the same motion sensors and love them. They are the fastest reacting zwave sensors I have ever used. Almost instant. Anyways, I have the same issue with all of my battery devices except the aeon multi sensors seem to report quickly. One thing I learned with battery devices, they test patience and don't expect everything to update immediately. I usually give them a couple days to sort things out after install. If the motion is working, then just let it be for a bit. I did notice these sensors took a couple days to report battery but now they report daily.

Now to accuracy, I am not sure. I installed 3 about 4 months ago and all but 1 still read 100 and the other is 99. So either it's useless or these things really don't use a lot of power.

Just to follow-up on previous posts and in particular waynehead99's post:

As mentioned, I have 2 of these ecolink sensors. I did the following with one of them (after they both were installed and working OK for a couple of days with respect to detecting motion):

- removed the battery, waited a little while
                              - reinstalled the battery (but left the cover off - not sure if it matters)
                              - immediately thereafter: in HS3 in the zwave tab of the battery entry of the device: clicked "Test Connectivity" - received a response indicating that the device was communicating.
                              - replaced the cover and put the sensor back onto the wall mount

This resulted in the battery showing 100%. I then waited in suspense until the 12 hour polling interval had passed to see if the battery timestamp was updated, but alas no go.

I then kind of gave up on the whole battery monitoring thing, but then this morning (3 days later), I saw the timestamp update :-) and the battery still showing 100%.

(The other sensor, which continues to detect motion just fine is still showing no communication/timestamp = blank).

The bottom line is that the experience I am having is similar to that described in wayneheads post:

- these sensors are generally reliable and responsive in their primary function
                              - the battery issues seems to have sorted itself out after a few days (and the steps listed above)
                              - hopefully the battery reading turns out to be somewhat accurate - I will post an update once I know more.

Thanks

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                              X