event triggers gone after mono upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

event triggers gone after mono upgrade

This all started when my ecobee plug in stopped working... As instructed in the knowledge base and in the forums, I upgraded my SEL's mono from 2.3.8 to 5.16 in order to fix my ecobee plug in. After much trying, mission accomplished. Mono upgraded, ecobee plug in working as advertised. All is good. I don't even know what mono is.

Only problem is... now none of my 67 events have triggers anymore. They simply aren't there, so none of my automation is working at all. I am trying to recover this stuff so my house works again. I was smart enough to back up my system before updating the mono, but restoring to that backup does not bring back any of the triggers.

I am looking for help recovering all of my events. I need to be updated so all of my plug ins work, but I also need everything to work as I programmed it. Much as I am loathe to have to reprogram triggers for 67 events, I guess I would do that if it made everything work. Only problem is, I don't have any reference. I found this thread that suggested downgrading the mono to recover the triggers so I at least have a reference to copy from:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...event-triggers

I guess that sounds better than having to come up with all of the triggers again, but I don't know how to do that.

So can anyone help me:

1)recover my event triggers from where I am

2)failing that, can I temporarily downgrade my mono to get back to where I was and see my triggers so I can print them to copy from? How do I do that if I have to resort to that? Then how do i re-upgrade my mono to get back the plug in functionality?

Any help is much appreciated.

As indicated in that thread, this is a known side effect of the mono upgrade. Subsequent to that thread, in HS3 version 3.0.0.358, HS added the 'Labs tab' to Setup, which provides Event Export and Import buttons. See image.

Since mono is installed as part of the OS, you would have to restore the entire system from backup, not just the HS3 directory. Another alternative is to uninstall mono and install an older version. See https://www.mono-project.com/docs/ge...install/linux/.
    Then you would export your events, upgrade up to the current mono, and restore the events.

If you want to take a crack at this, post the following
    1) the instructions you used to update mono
    2) the output of this command: uname -a

Click image for larger version  Name:	labs tab.PNG Views:	1 Size:	180.0 KB ID:	1256469
    Last edited by zwolfpack; October 31, 2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply. I would love to take a crack at your suggested procedure. Its got to be faster than rewriting the events that took years to tweak, and maybe I'll even learn something in the process. I'm new to linux, having previously run homeseer on windows. Being somewhere in between a complete neophyte and a power user, I don't usually know what I'm doing, but always willing to experiment and learn from the process. I might suggest to the powers that be that a warning might be inserted in the helpdesk article about mono upgrade to export your events before upgrading.

Here's what I did:

I used these instructions exactly:
      Update SEL to Mono 5

THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON THE HOMETROLLER SEL.

Some plug-ins require Mono version 5 or higher. If you purchased your SEL after 03/01/18, you do not need this script. DO NOT RUN THIS SCRIPT ON A SYSTEM THAT ALREADY HAS MONO 5 OR HIGHER. To check, follow steps 1-2, and 7. If you do not feel comfortable running the following commands, please contact support and we can remote in and do it for you

To check the systems current mono version run the command "mono --version" from the Linux tools page or from putty.

1) Navigate to Tools > System > Linux Tools

2) Login with the system password that you created when you first set up the device

3) Download the update script using the following command, without quotes "sudo wget homeseer.com/linux/mono5.sh"

4) Run the script "sudo sh mono5.sh"

5) The system will automatically reboot, once it is online, test to make sure the error in your log is gone.

7) After completion, connect back to your Zee S2 and run the following command in Linux Tools (Steps 1-2), "mono --version".

*This procedure can also be performed using SSH (putty)

Only problem is, when I performed this step:

3) Download the update script using the following command, without quotes "sudo wget homeseer.com/linux/mono5.sh"

All it said was "performing command sudo wget homeseer.com/linux/mono5.sh" and it just hung there. I waited a good 30 minutes, thinking it might still be downloading, but it never said anything else. So eventually, I moved on and ran 4). It didn't restart on its own, so I manually restarted it, and then queried it about the version, and it was still the old one. So I ran the entire procedure again with the exact same results.

So I continued poking around, and I found this article in the helpdesk files:
      Ecobee Plug-in Install Error

Users with older SEL units are missing some dependencies required to install Ecobee plug-ins. If you own an SEL and are getting an error when attempting to install the Ecobee plug-in, follow the instructions below for the fix.

1. Go to Tools->System->Linux Tools

2. Log in with 'homeseer' and your SEL system password
      3. Enter this command 'sudo apt-get -y install libmono-microsoft-csharp4.0-cil'
      4. Reboot your system
      5. Update your plug-in to version 3.0.0.22 (or fresh install)
      Voila!

I ran this procedure and once the system rebooted, I went back in to Linux tools to check the version, and all of a sudden, I had:

Click image for larger version

Name:	version.png
Views:	659
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1256504

At this point, as I said in the original post, my ecobee plug-in was working as advertised, however, all of my event triggers were gone.

Here are the results of uname:

Name:	uname.png
Views:	381
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1256505
      Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Comment

Many of the difficulties you encountered are due to deficiencies in "Linux Tools". For example, the lack of any output from step (3) is that only "standard output" is displayed. All the output from the wget command is routed to "error output", so you see nothing. With some improvements (modified 'run_command.sh' script), it appears like this:

Name:	liinux tools fixed.PNG
Views:	447
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1256694
        Another shortcoming is that due to the fact that its displayed in a browser, only when the command completes is anything displayed. This is a problem for long-running processes such as installation of mono. On the Raspberry Pi, the mono install takes a looong time -- probably an hour or so. So the 30 minutes you waited may not have been long enough - but you won't see anything where it completed or not. The webserver and/or the browser is going to time out before the command completes, thus you see nothing.

I strongly recommend you take the time to get yourself set up with PuTTY or similar so you can ssh into the box and work directly from the Linux command line. This is the best way to increase your Linux comfort level, making learning about it easier and more enjoyable.

Moving on to the recovery process -- it will go something like this:

1) Stop HS3
        2) Back up what you have. Whatever you do, don't overwrite the backup you make before you started the upgrade!
        3) Remove (uninstall) mono. [I need to research this step a bit more].
        4) Install older version of mono. The HomeSeer mono5.sh script slightly modified will accomplish this.
        5) Restore your original HS3 data.
        6) Start HS3 and verify (fingers crossed) that the events are intact.
        7) Export events on the Labs tab
        8) Stop HS3
        9) Upgrade mono to latest. HomeSeer's mon5.sh can be used for this
        10) Start HS3 and import the events

Comment

I'm sure its misguided and mish mash, but I've had a bit of a linux crash-education today. I have done as you suggested. I am set up with putty and WinSCP. I have changed my root password so that I have access to files. I also have the ability to plug my hometroller into a keyboard and monitor and can interface directly with the hometroller that way. So I have much better linux command line access now, whether I access it via putty or directly.

I also gave myself an education on backups and set myself up with BLBackup (can't believe I've gotten away with never doing that before) and am backing up daily now. While learning all about backups, I see there is a distinction between types of backup. The backup I did before installing the new mono was just a backup created with the homeseer backup utility on the general tab of the setup page of the homseer gui. I hope this is good enough to recover my events from.

Once I learned all of this, I also did as you suggested and stopped HS3, then made a manual backup of the entire HomeSeer directory on my hometroller box while it wasn't running.

I am ready to proceed with the mono uninstall when you are...

Comment

I know this is an old post, but could it be this simple....?

https://coderscoffeehouse.com/tech/2...o-version.html

Comment

This command will remove mono:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get -y --autoremove purge mono-runtime
              Next want to install "old" version. To do this, we remove the pointer to the "latest" mono repository (pointer was created by the mono5.sh script)
              Code:
              sudo rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list
              Now re-install mono. This will be the version that was current with Ubuntu 14.04, which is quite old.

Code:
              sudo apt-get -q update
              sudo apt-get -qy install mono-complete mono-vbnc mono-xsp4
              mono --version
              The last command will tell which version was installed.

With any luck, now the events will be intact (you may need to restore the database from backup). Export from the Labs tab.

At this point, HomeSeer's mono5.sh script should work to get you up to date, or you can do it manually:
              Code:
              sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
              sudo apt install apt-transport-https
              echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list
              sudo apt-get -q update
              sudo apt-get -qy dist-upgrade
              Then startup HS3 (or just reboot) and import the events.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks so much! I'll try this over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Well, I didn't get very far. The first command resulted in the following:

"E: Command line option --autoremove is not understood"

Is there some type of syntax error?

Comment

Hmmm, that option must not be available in your version of Linux. Try this:

Code:
                    sudo apt-get -y purge mono-runtime
                    sudo apt-get -y autoremove

Comment

Well we got much further that time, but it stalled on the last step of installing the older mono

"sudo apt-get -qy install mono-complete mono-vbnc mono-xsp4"

Resulted in :

Reading package lists...
                      Building dependency tree...
                      Reading state information...
                      Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                      requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                      distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                      or been moved out of Incoming.
                      The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                      mono-complete : Depends: mono-devel (= 5.16.0.179-0xamarin1+ubuntu1404b1) but it is not going to be installed
                      mono-xsp4 : Depends: mono-xsp4-base (= 4.5-0xamarin3+ubuntu1404b1) but it is not going to be installed
                      E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Comment

It seems that getting rid of the older packages varies, possibly dependent on how the install was done, or on the version(s) of OS or mono.

Try this:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get -y purge mono-devel mono-xsp4-base
                        sudo apt-get -y autoremove
                        Then try just
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get -qy install mono-complete
                        If that doesn't work, post output of this command
                        Code:
                        whereis mono

Comment

homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ sudo apt-get -y purge mono-devel mono-xsp4-base
                          [sudo] password for homeseer:
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          Package 'mono-xsp4-base' is not installed, so not removed
                          The following packages will be REMOVED:
                          mono-devel*
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                          After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
                          (Reading database ... 213648 files and directories currently installed.)
                          Removing mono-devel (3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1) ...
                          Purging configuration files for mono-devel (3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1) ...
                          dpkg: warning: while removing mono-devel, directory '/etc/mono' not empty so not removed
                          homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ sudo apt-get -y autoremove
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                          homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ sudo apt-get -qy install mono-complete
                          Reading package lists...
                          Building dependency tree...
                          Reading state information...
                          Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                          requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                          distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                          or been moved out of Incoming.
                          The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                          mono-complete : Depends: mono-devel (= 5.16.0.179-0xamarin1+ubuntu1404b1) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: monodoc-manual (= 5.16.0.179-0xamarin1+ubuntu1404b1) but it is not going to be installed
                          E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
                          homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ whereis mono
                          mono: /etc/mono /usr/lib/mono

Comment

OK one additional check before we slash-and-burn -- post output of this command (in a perfect world there will be none..)
                            Code:
                            dpkg --list | grep mono

Comment

Uh-oh...

homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ dpkg --list | grep mono
                              rc libmonoboehm-2.0-1 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1 i386 Mono JIT library (Boehm GC)

Comment

Working...
                              X