Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 SEL: Scripts not running / compiling after mono upgrade

Hi,

I have an issue where scripts dont run on my Hometroller SEL after mono Upgrade.

**** First som info on how i upgraded mono ****

Info on my Hometroller SEL:
    running command lsb_release -a
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty

Before mono upgrade it was running a very old version of mono:
    running command mono --version
    Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors.
    www.mono-project.com
    TLS: __thread
    SIGSEGV: altstack
    Notifications: epoll
    Architecture: x86
    Disabled: none
    Misc: softdebug
    LLVM: supported, not enabled.
    GC: sgen

I had read that upgrading the mono could be tricky so i contacted HomeSeer support and the gave me this recipe:
    THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON THE HOMETROLLER SEL.
    Some plug-ins require Mono version 5 or higher. If you purchased your SEL after 03/01/18, you do not need this script.
    DO NOT RUN THIS SCRIPT ON A SYSTEM THAT ALREADY HAS MONO 5 OR HIGHER.
    To check, follow steps 1-2, and 7. If you do not feel comfortable running the following commands, please contact support and we can remote in and do it for you
    To check the systems current mono version run the command "mono --version" from the Linux tools page or from putty.
    1) Navigate to Tools > System > Linux Tools
    2) Login with the system password that you created when you first set up the device
    3) Download the update script using the following command, without quotes "sudo wget
    homeseer.com/linux/sel/selmono5.sh
    "
    4) Run the script "sudo sh selmono5.sh"
    5) The system will automatically reboot, once it is online, test to make sure the error in your log is gone.
    7) After completion, connect back to your SEL and run the following command in Linux Tools (Steps 1-2), "mono --version".
    *This procedure can also be performed using SSH (putty)
    If you run the above script and get dependency errors (such as libglib2.0 missing). Do the following:
    1) Download the update script using the following command, without quotes "sudo wget
    homeseer.com/linux/sel/selmonocomplete.sh
    "
    2) Run the script "sudo sh selmonocomplete.sh"
    3) The system will automatically reboot, once it is online, test to make sure the error in your log is gone.

I had to go through all the steps (1-7 and then 1-3) but atleast mono was upgraded:
    homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ mono --version
    Mono JIT compiler version 5.20.1.19 (tarball Thu Apr 11 09:14:25 UTC 2019)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
    Architecture: x86
    Interpreter: yes
    LLVM: yes(600)
    Suspend: hybrid
    GC: sgen (concurrent by default)

**** Now to the problem with running / compiling cscripts ****

After getting mono upgraded none of my scripts would run, not even startup.vb.
    I got this error in the log from both immediate scripts and script files:
    Error Compiling script Startup.vb: Error running vbnc: Cannot find the specified file
    All these scripts had been running fine for a long time.

After reading som more on this forum I learned that it could be an issue with vbnc.
    I tried installing / updating vbnc with this command:
    sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc

After that I still get error but now the following error in the log:
    Example from a immediate script:
    Jul-18 10:29:46 Error Compiling script /tmp/K2.vb:
    Jul-18 10:29:46 Event Running script statement immediately: &hs.SetDeviceString(976, NOW.ToString("HH:mm"),True)
    Anyone know what to do?

Best regards,
    Torkil

Mono of old has always been difficult to remove and update. I would try to delete Mono installed and try it again.

Do a manual deletion of Mono then the documented installation of mono per the mono website.

Disable Homeseer from starting while doing this:

sudo apt-get purge mono-runtime
    sudo apt-get purge mono-complete
    sudo apt remove --purge --auto-remove mono-runtime
    sudo apt-get purge libmono* libgdiplus cli-common libglitz-glx1 libglitz1
    sudo rm -rf usr/lib/mono /usr/local/bin/mono /usr/local/etc/mono /usr/local/lib/mono

also install gtkorphan (if you have a desktop) to remove lingering packages.

Personally I would also upgrade the Ubuntu to Ubuntu 18.04. That said I think that the Trusty on your computer is 32 bit so save the Homeseer build to a USB stick before upgrading. Also upgrade the memory to max on the computer.

Well even easier would be to upgrade to a new SSD, keep the old old and install new Ubuntu on the new SSD. 32Gb SSD will suffice.

This is what I am running on my Homeseer computers (testing 4 at this time). Tinker more with Hardware here.
    Started first HS3 computer here with Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit. I also have tested a mini AMD cube computer with a dual AMD / 2Gb of RAM.

1 - Intel i3 / 16Gb of RAM

HS3Pro:~# lsb_release -a
    LSB Version: core-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch:security-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch
    Description: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
    Release: 18.04
    Codename: bionic

HS3Pro:~# mono -V
    Mono JIT compiler version 5.20.1.19 (tarball Thu Apr 11 09:02:17 UTC 2019)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com

2 - Intel Z8350 Atom / 4 Gb of RAM

BTPro:~# lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.

BTPro:~# mono -V
    Mono JIT compiler version 5.20.1.19 (tarball Thu Apr 11 09:02:17 UTC 2019)

3 - S912 Octocore ARM TV Box running Armbian / 3 Gb RAM

TX9:~# lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.

TX9:~# mono -V
    Mono JIT compiler version 5.20.1.19 (tarball Thu Apr 11 08:59:52 UTC 2019)

The above is just a list of currently testing hardware and not related to your issue.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

There a bug with mono vbnc and msbuild. I had to wiped out mono completly and install an older release.

Comment

I would advice to not run apt upgrade fo a while..

Comment

Seriously thinking about buying a nuc for hs3 on windows. But i do not think i ll have the time this summer

Comment

See end of the topic here : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ge-compilation

they started to send msbuild alone . which completely broke the install. After that they rectified it . Then they put 5.2.1.34 out... seems fine. But a little later they decided to update vbnc alone ...and voila a non usable build ( tryied to whipe all fille of my computer which has the name mono xamarin msbuild in it and desisntalled all the mono package on the system. But no luck. Was not able to compile any scripts. + of course aspx page are broked again

i pinned my self to 5.18.x.x

Comment

Quote from them
              Annoyingly, replacing a directory with a symlink, when that directory has files written to it from binary packages produced by multiple source packages, is the singular most difficult thing to express in either RPM or Debian packaging metadata. Changes were needed to msbuild, mono and core-setup all together.

In the end, the raspbian builds took 9.5 hours, rather than the more usual 2 or 3, which is why the fixed packages took so long to publish.

5.20.1.34 published to stable at 5:50am Boston time (about 4 hours ago)

5.18.1.28 published to vs at 4:35am Boston time (about 5 hours ago)

So we have to wait I guess.

Comment

Thank you Matt.

Earlier this morning did an update on three Homeseer 3 Ubuntu 18.04 computers running Homeseer.

Just noticed that all three are erroring out so that I am down right now. What a PITA to deal with this.

Jul-18 7:16:00 AM Error Compiling script /opt/HomeSeer/scripts/timedate.vb: Could not load type of field 'vbnc.Scanner:m_PeekedChars' (21) due to: Could not resolve type with token 010000d1 from typeref (expected class 'System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1' in assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089') assembly:mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 type:System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1 membernull) at vbnc.Main.Main (System.String[] CmdArgs) [0x00016] in :0 Failed compilation took 00:00:00.0294270
                Jul-18 7:17:00 AM Error Compiling script /opt/HomeSeer/scripts/timedate.vb: Could not load type of field 'vbnc.Scanner:m_PeekedChars' (21) due to: Could not resolve type with token 010000d1 from typeref (expected class 'System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1' in assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089') assembly:mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 type:System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1 membernull) at vbnc.Main.Main (System.String[] CmdArgs) [0x00016] in :0 Failed compilation took 00:00:00.0274460
                Jul-18 7:17:31 AM Error Compiling script /opt/HomeSeer/scripts/Jon00RSSHS3.vben: Could not load type of field 'vbnc.Scanner:m_PeekedChars' (21) due to: Could not resolve type with token 010000d1 from typeref (expected class 'System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1' in assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089') assembly:mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 type:System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1 membernull) at vbnc.Main.Main (System.String[] CmdArgs) [0x00016] in :0 Failed compilation took 00:00:00.0272120

What are your recomendations to roll back Mono. Can I just roll back VBNC mono?

- Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just noticed that my scripts are still running even showing the VB errors in the HS log. The errors though are filling up my logs here.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Personally i just remove anything related to mono. And started fresh on mono 5.18.1.3

Comment

Here is my ppa

echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-bionic/snapshots/5.18.1.3/. main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-snap.list

Comment

Thank you Matt.

So far still running here BUT tons of errors in the log files. That said my events are still triggering fine...

Just did another update and upgrade and it looks to be updating MONO again this afternoon here near Chicago.

Looks like Mono 6.0 ...shut down HS3 and will reboot...wow that was a quick fix....

ICS-HS3Pro:~# mono -V
                        Mono JIT compiler version 6.0.0.313 (tarball Sun Jul 14 09:57:59 UTC 2019)
                        Architecture: amd64
                        Interpreter: yes
                        LLVM: yes(600)
                        Suspend: hybrid
                        GC: sgen (concurrent by default)

Updating other two HS3 computers.

Checking logs now and see no mono errors while running HS3.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

So mono 6 is now mainline?

Comment

How is your memory usage on mono 6.0.0.313 ? Pete

Mine is crazy.

I already had a memory leak, but I am wondering if it the problem express itself in an exponential manner, or if everybody is affected (so it would be another problem)?
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is the lite box (Atom Z8350 / 4Gb DDR3 RAM / 40 Gb eMMC) running:

1 - Homeseer 3 (Zee2 version)
                              2 - Docker Home Assistant
                              3 - Docker OmniBridge
                              4 - VirtualBox (W7e)

Webmin
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	webmin.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	1316492

Homeseer HTop

Click image for larger version  Name:	HSHTOP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	1316493

Docker HTop

Click image for larger version  Name:	dockerhtop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	1316494

Virtualbox Windows 7E

Click image for larger version  Name:	vb-htop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	1316495

I'll leave it be for a while. Today just updated Mono on it. (and dist-update)
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X