Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating Mono

Hey rjh , jseer

Can you please provide up-to-date instructions for updating Mono for poor users who decided to buy Linux based computer for .NET app?

It's just a huge headache for the users and the plugin developers. It's not possible to target 7 years old version.

The problem has to be addressed/resolved by HST, not the users themselves posting on the forums, or the plugin developers.

HST should either support latest Mono - or stop selling Linux based controllers if not capable of fixing the issue.

For user's who own one of pur SEL or Zee S2 controllers we are offering the ability to update MONO on those units. There are already instructions in the Beta forum for the SEL. We will be posted instructions for the Zee S2 shortly, we are still testing that update.

For anyone that has their own version of Linux you can manually update MONO using instructions posted here:

https://www.mono-project.com/downloa.../#download-lin

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
    Hey rjh , jseer

Can you please provide up-to-date instructions for updating Mono for poor users who decided to buy Linux based computer for .NET app?

It's just a huge headache for the users and the plugin developers. It's not possible to target 7 years old version.

The problem has to be addressed/resolved by HST, not the users themselves posting on the forums, or the plugin developers.

HST should either support latest Mono - or stop selling Linux based controllers if not capable of fixing the issue.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      For user's who own one of pur SEL or Zee S2 controllers we are offering the ability to update MONO on those units. There are already instructions in the Beta forum for the SEL.
      Thank you Rich, just wondering where can I find "Beta forum for the SEL"?

Comment

SEL beta is here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...read-carefully
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks both. The issue here is that updating to the latest Mono breaks any Events that were created under the old Mono version, deleting the ‘IF’ portion. The only way to get them back is a full restore from a backup, or an Import of an earlier JSON Event Export. It’s a nightmare if you aren’t expecting it (I use probably 50+ Events that it would take an age to rewrite with such a cludgy interface and syntax).

[EDIT] I see this is now mentioned on the thread. But I’m currently battling with the Mono upgrade preventing the web server from starting for some reason. It’s quite annoying.

[EDIT2] Got it back. But without any devices or events or anything. Thankfully, I have a backup. Which I hope will work.

I do agree with alexbk66 that it’s not exactly user- or developer-friendly. I’m somewhat more comfortable rolling up my sleeves than most, but for something as critical as a home automation system, I much prefer the backbone to be a hardware / software combination that is supported by someone other than me. That’s why I stumped up rather than go with some of the other, in some ways, more flexible open-sourced options.

I’m sure a lot of this will get addressed in HS4, but I’m already dreading what other dependencies get broken there.

Comment

I was wondering if I started a LaTex document to show how to upgrade mono from start to finish if others would be willing to contribute? I would want to show how to backup the system both from the user interface and doing a tar on the entire HomeSeer directory, then showing how to download the latest mono stable packages and installing on linux. Problems that have been know to occur and what some of the remedies are.

I would want to do LaTex v word/libre office as the file can be shared as text, it is typeset and looks professional. It is no cost to anyone who can download.

Comment

Here is what I would be envisioning:

How to Install Mono for HomeSeer.tex.txt

How to Install Mono for HomeSeer.pdf

Comment

I think that would be very kind. It’s really not straightforward, unless you know it. In which case, it’s really obvious. I’m still wrestling with my wrecked system. In between childcare, I’ll have to downgrade Mono again, hope it’s fine, re-back up, re-upgrade, re-restore, hope it’s fine. While not having any Events really working. Huge differences in the knowledge that people have around this, so much appreciate any efforts people can make to help it be accessible.

Comment

OK I have made some progress this afternoon. I will need someone to review this when it is more complete - ANY VOLUNTEERS?????

How to Install Mono for HomeSeer tex.txt

I am not worried about formatting but I will always accept suggestions. I am most concerned if I have gotten the meaning conveyed in a clear and concise manner.

Comment

Originally posted by rahaaas View Post
                    I’m somewhat more comfortable rolling up my sleeves than most, but for something as critical as a home automation system, I much prefer the backbone to be a hardware / software combination that is supported by someone other than me. That’s why I stumped up rather than go with some of the other, in some ways, more flexible open-sourced options.
                    That's obviously too late in your case, but for me it's much easier just to buy HS software and install it on any Windows computer. Choosing Linux for .NET app is just ridiculous, especially giving total luck of support from HST. And it will get worse in the future - because most github libraries require newer .NET versions (i.e. netcore, netstandard, etc.).

I’m sure a lot of this will get addressed in HS4, but I’m already dreading what other dependencies get broken there.
                    I wouldn't hope too much

Comment

Thanks AllHailJ, though I’m not sure HS themselves are really on this. At least not in my case. I’ll contact support shortly, I guess.

After losing all my Events and Devices, I managed to get back to a version of Mono (3.2.8) that works and backs up correctly via:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-upgrade/page3

So all working again.

Tried the new support article from HomeSeer https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...-sel-to-mono-5, which I think has just been updated to try and fix some of the issues. But this just doesn’t do anything in my case, giving:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 159 not upgraded.
                      N: Ignoring file 'selmono5.sh' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

I can only think it’s something about the roll-back procedure that’s stopping it from updating properly now. Have tried to flush out the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
                      files that I know the rollback uses to trick it into going for the old version, but that’s not working.

Hope to have some time later to go through the scripts and see if there’s a clue in there, but this is the insidious position of knowing enough to get myself into trouble, but not having the time or knowledge to solve it again. I’m probably now considered an ‘edge case’ because I’ve already made changes.

Gah. Worse things happening. And at least the system works again.

Comment

Thanks AllHailJ, though I’m not sure HS themselves are really on this. At least not in my case. I’ll contact support shortly, I guess.
                        Yeah, contact support. They will try to send you back to forums - don't give-up

Comment

I am going to continue to work on this as it may help someone in the future. I can't accept that lack of clear documentation is holding people hostage. The real problem on these boxes seems to be Ubuntu 14.04. There is certainly enough disk space to go to 18.04 server and mono 6.8.0.105. Others on the forum have gone this way.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ometroller-sel

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...erver?t=195851

I'm retired so I have time to work on this.

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailJ View Post
                            I am going to continue to work on this as it may help someone in the future. I can't accept that lack of clear documentation is holding people hostage. The real problem on these boxes seems to be Ubuntu 14.04. There is certainly enough disk space to go to 18.04 server and mono 6.8.0.105. Others on the forum have gone this way.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ometroller-sel

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...erver?t=195851

I'm retired so I have time to work on this.
                            Thank you and good luck. And shame on HST.

Comment

Here is what I would call the Alpha pass on this document. I really do need someone to provide feedback! I'm a big boy and won't take what you tell me as a personal insult. Writing documentation is difficult and requires direct feedback. I don't expect you to learn LaTex so a note would be fine. If you want to take it off line please PM me. If you have interest in editing the document I can upload to a dropbox so you can get all the images and files.

Thanks to all on the forum who have provided information.

How to Install Mono for HomeSeer.tex.txt

I will also opine on HomeSeer and Linux. Yes it is a PITA but no more than windows. The problems are just different. Linux is less user friendly but more powerful. As a colleague told me way back in 1986 on my first job. "We don't need more user friendly computer, we need more computer friendly users." We were working on a 2,000,000 line real-time simulator so he had a point. Computers and software are tools. The more we study, the more proficient we become as users; however some people have a natural advantage.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X