System transfer from Zee S2 to SEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System transfer from Zee S2 to SEL

OK, after 8 months on my Zee S2 and becoming an addict to the homeseer ecosystem , I am ready to lose my newbie status and break the shackles of the Zee S2 plugin limitation. I am upgrading to the SEL and Smartstick+!

Are there any instructions on how to do this in the most efficient way and just as importantly, without losing ones hair? I've looked around and surprisingly found little that is specific to this combination. I see posts on moving from competing controllers to HS or one Windows machine to another, but nothing on this natural upgrade path for HS Linux aficionados

Would appreciate any pointers/links to instructions, or advice from anyone who has gone through the experience.

Obviously I would like to transfer everything: devices; events; network; configuration. Here is my system.

Current Date/Time: 10/25/2016 10:33:19 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.297
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 12 Hours 18 Minutes 19 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.100.216
    Number of Devices: 185
    Number of Events: 131
    Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.5: CM15A
    1.0.0.0: drhsEventEnabler
    3.0.0.103: HSTouch Server
    3.0.0.27: MediaController
    3.0.1.94: Z-Wave

PS. Just saw this earlier post requesting the same advice, but no reply
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=182566
    Last edited by ; November 16, 2016, 10:12 AM.

I just asked HomeSeer about something very similar to this. Not sure if any of your plug-ins are licensed but if so it adds a wrinkle. If they are not licensed and you have the backup of the Zee just restore the backup to the new box. When you do that it will show the Zee license, but you can just register the SEL license on top of that. You may need to re-download the plug ins you need.

If any of the plug ins are licensed, what HomeSeer told me (have not tested yet) is to go into the zip backup file previously saved, and in the config folder there is a license.bin file that needs to be deleted. Then when you save that and restore it to the SEL, you should be able to re-input your plug in licenses.

Edit: Forgot to mention I think you'll need to go into the Z-Wave controller management page and backup the Zee's interface to a file, then use that to restore your network to the SEL Smartstick+.
    Last edited by jhearty; October 25, 2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhearty View Post
      I just asked HomeSeer about something very similar to this. Not sure if any of your plug-ins are licensed but if so it adds a wrinkle. If they are not licensed and you have the backup of the Zee just restore the backup to the new box. When you do that it will show the Zee license, but you can just register the SEL license on top of that. You may need to re-download the plug ins you need.

If any of the plug ins are licensed, what HomeSeer told me (have not tested yet) is to go into the zip backup file previously saved, and in the config folder there is a license.bin file that needs to be deleted. Then when you save that and restore it to the SEL, you should be able to re-input your plug in licenses.

Edit: Forgot to mention I think you'll need to go into the Z-Wave controller management page and backup the Zee's interface to a file, then use that to restore your network to the SEL Smartstick+.
      Thanks for your pointers. I don't have any licensed plugins. That's my beef with the Zee S2. I would have if I could have more than 5 plugins

What backup are you talking about? Is that the configuration backup and restore under Tools>Setup? What does this backup transfer?

As for backing up and installing the Z-Wave network interface, I am guessing this will transfer the nodes and Z-Wave devices, correct?

What about the others:
      • X10 devices
      • Events (This is especially important since I definitely don't want to recreate all 132 events that I have)
      Last edited by ; October 29, 2016, 06:15 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by abwyatt View Post
        Thanks for your pointers. I don't have any licensed plugins. That's my beef with the Zee S2. I would have if I could have more than 5 plugins

What backup are you talking about? Is that the configuration backup and restore under Tools>Setup? What does this backup transfer?

As for backing up and installing the Z-Wave network interface, I am guessing this will transfer the nodes and Z-Wave devices, correct?

What about the others:
        • X10 devices
        • Events (This is especially important since I definitely don't want to recreate all 132 events that I have)
        Tools>Setup Backup button will backup all your Events and Devices. I have no X10 experience on HS3 but presume the backup button will back those up. The Z-Wave Controller management backup will get all your Z-Wave nodes.

Comment

Here I have migrated my Zee-2 (Homeseer Lite) Homeseer build to an Xi3/Xi5a running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit server. It has a 32 Gb SSD / 2Gb of RAM on it. Runs HS3 lite just fine.

I also purchased HS3 Pro and that is running on another machine ...iSeries / 16Gb of RAM Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit also. Only this machine does Oracle VB's of Wintel to run stuff like Microsoft SAPI and other windows centric plugins. IE: one speaker dot exe is running the speech from the HS3 Lite box and the other speaker dot exe is running speech from the HS3 Pro box.

I run both boxes here doing different stuff on HS3 Lite/HS3 Pro.

I have never tried to import my Homeseer lite configuration over to the HS3 Pro configuration.

That said I would suggest giving the import a try and if it doesn't work just do a manual build on the new box.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Tools>Setup Backup button will backup all your Events and Devices. I have no X10 experience on HS3 but presume the backup button will back those up. The Z-Wave Controller management backup will get all your Z-Wave nodes.
            Thanks John. That is much clearer now.

I'll receive my SEL and Smartstick+ next weekend. Then it's fun and games

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              ... if it doesn't work just do a manual build on the new box.
              You've got to be kidding! Over 6 months worth of work ... ARRRGH!!!!

Comment

OK, I've finally got my new SEL and a SmartStick+. Got WiFi and the Smartstick+ setup on the right port.

I have a backup file of my Z-Wave network from my Zee S2 saved on my desktop.

Now I am in the SEL Z-Wave Controller Smartstick+ interface, and I've selected 'Restore a Network to this Interface'. Click on the Open file button, and nothing happens. No file selector, nothing. Anybody have any ideas? I've tried this on both Chrome and Edge.

Comment

Here lost all of my events when upgrading my Ubuntu Mono from 3.XX to 4.XX. I just ran the Homeseer running with Mono 3.XX in one window and another Linux server while concurrently manually rebuilding the events on the new Homeseer 3 box. Only took few hours to rewrite all of the events. That said it was a PITA to do this though.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by abwyatt View Post
                    OK, I've finally got my new SEL and a SmartStick+. Got WiFi and the Smartstick+ setup on the right port.

I have a backup file of my Z-Wave network from my Zee S2 saved on my desktop.

Now I am in the SEL Z-Wave Controller Smartstick+ interface, and I've selected 'Restore a Network to this Interface'. Click on the Open file button, and nothing happens. No file selector, nothing. Anybody have any ideas? I've tried this on both Chrome and Edge.
                    I think the file needs to be in the data/z-wave folder on the SEL.

Cheers
                    Al
                    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I upgraded a long while ago from a first-generation Zee to an SEL. It was as easy as moving my Z-Stick (which is what I was using at the time) to the SEL, and restoring the configuration at the SEL.

In terms of restoring a network to the interface, I did have to do this when upgrading from the Z-Stick to a Z-NET. I do not recall having to move any files over manually. For the SmartStick+ issue noted above, I would therefore probably call HomeSeer on Monday to see what's up.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                        I think the file needs to be in the data/z-wave folder on the SEL.

Cheers
                        Al
                        Well it's been fun and games here! This did work. But this only restored the nodes. No devices and no events which I understand are stored in the Setup backup configuration file.

So I installed the backup configuration file from my Zee S2 into the SEL. Well guess what, now I couldn't access the web interface for some reason. Not sure if something got corrupted or there was a network issue. After hours of troubleshooting and using the maintenance options 1 and 2 without success, my patience got the better of me, and I did a system restore from the Ubuntu boot screen. Discovered the factory copy of HS that was reinstalled had a very old Z-Wave plugin that doesn't recognise the SmartStick+. That confounded me for awhile as I had assumed that software would be as shipped. Nope! Anyway, a Z-Wave plugin update solved that.

Decided to give it another try. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment. This time I put most of the Zee S2 settings in setup back to default before backing up the Zee S2 config. Installed this new file into the SEL, watched it reboot and presto, I am back in. BUT wait, it asks me to register, then tells me I've exceeded number of re-registrations ... ARRRRGH!!!

Now I am really stuck! Can't do much more now than wait for HS to reply to my email for a new licence. Have no idea whether my devices and events have stuck until I can get past the registration lock out.

Ahh, one other niggling issue that I am sure a Linux guru can help with. After the system restore on Ubuntu, the SEL will not boot up fully without a HDMI screen connected. I see a few posts on this for Ras-Pi installations. Can someone advise on any init files I need to edit? I did edit the default run level in rc-sysinit.conf from 2 to 3 but that didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          Here lost all of my events when upgrading my Ubuntu Mono from 3.XX to 4.XX. ... Only took few hours to rewrite all of the events. That said it was a PITA to do this though.
                          How many events do you have?

I am certain I would need many days to rebuild my 121 events. Most have been elaborately tweaked to minimise the howls of protest from family members like when the lights go off while watching TV and so on. In this case, my smart TVs (using BLLAN) hold the motion controlled lights on while family members watch like unmoving zombies for minutes on end. Another example are the multiple conditionalities, counters and timers that are required to make bedroom door sensor events that turn on and off bedroom aircons robust enough to tolerate a houseful of screaming kids chasing each other in and out of the bedrooms ... arrrgh! Most of my events have multiple conditionalities, supported by 12 counters and 7 timers.

Comment

It's only been around 50-60 events per box as I have been still going very slow with HS3.

Well that and splitting dependencies between two HS3 boxes and my Leviton Omni Pro 2 set up.

You have two licenses for HS3; take advantage of that. Keep the old production system running and tweak the new production system until it is running to your satisfaction. The Z-Wave nodes stuff is kept in the Z-Wave device which is the most important part of the stuff you are doing.

Yes; always mention baby steps. Best to keep one box running in production if you can while concurrently working on second box or new box.

or

Start with a running HS3 configuration that is not configured yet (with an import). Back that up to another directory; call the back up directory anything you want. Then afterwards start the import. If that fails then just delete the directory and copy the original directory back and start again. I mention above in another thread; don't concern yourself with the autostart of HS3 yet; in fact disable the autostart until you have a working base (start HS3 manually for a bit).

The above noted this doesn't work well when the base OS / HS3 is using Mono 3.X and new is using Mono 4.x. Here then it probably would be better to just downgrade the Mono from 4.X to mono 3.X (which can be a bit of a PITA but it is a time saving effort).
                            Last edited by Pete; November 14, 2016, 05:53 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

SUCCESS!!!!

SUCCESS!!!!

All my nodes, events, devices, timers, counters and settings are in. No need to redo any of my events and no red text in the logs. Events all seem to be firing as normal. ... Phew!!!

The process was essentially the two steps that John (jhearty) had originally outlined at Post #6, but I'll fill in the gaps, expand and clarify the sequence for newbies. John's advice lacked sequencing info, and I took the wrong sequence which resulted in unnecessary work to manually transfer the network interface backup file (Post #12 above).

So, it goes like this.

1. Backup the Zee S2 Z-Wave Network Interface in the Z-Wave Controller Management. That will save a backup file containing your nodes. The file will reside in the Zee S2 file system - you cannot save it anywhere else. Rename the file before saving so you recognise it when you want to restore it.

2. Backup your Zee S2 configuration file in Tools>Setup. You'll save that to your desktop. It's a zip file and it contains all the devices, events, global variables, timers, counters and all the Setup settings. If you have a look inside the zip file you will also see that it contains the Network Interface backup file from Step 1.

3. Now we start working on the SEL. Start by going to Tools>Setup and restore the Zee S2 backup configuration file from Step 2. This will transfer everything in the Zip file including the network interface backup from Step 1. The SEL will reboot at the end of this process and you will be asked to enter your SEL licence ID and password since the SEL will reject the Zee S2 licence that is in the configuration file.

4. Now go to the Z-Wave Controller Manager and select the action 'Restore a Network to this Interface'. Now you get a drop down box to select the backup file and the list will include the Zee S2 interface backup file from Step 1. Select that and go through the process. After that, you may need to restart the interface or turn the plugin off then on.

5. Final step. Go to Z-Wave Controller Manager and do Optimise Network and Fully Optimise. Finally, for all your battery powered devices, you'll need to go around and wake them up one by one and do optimise and fully optimise from the respective root device.

That is it! You should have everything now and be operational. For those with X-10 devices, they also get transferred in the above process and all you have to do now is install the X-10 plugin to get your X10 devices working.

Caveats. I am not sure how reliable this process is because the first time I tried to do Step 3, I could not get back into the SEL after the reboot as reported at Post #12. Until now, I do not know what happened. I have a feeling something got corrupted. That necessitated me having to do a System Restore from the Ubuntu boot screen when I could not resolve the issue with Option 1 and 2 in the find.homeseer.com maintenance interface which is supposed to reset the settings (Option 1) or reinstall HS3 (Option 2). It just refused to boot.

After the System Restore, I had no problems with the above process, except for the too many registration lock out problem which I also reported. This second time, before Step 2, I removed the static IP and port forward that I had just to make sure I was not getting a problem with the router DHCP server. The registration problem was also a little mysterious because 2 days later I got a response from HS support to say that there did not appear to be a problem with the licence. That was last night, so I booted up the SEL and had no problems entering the licence.

One final word of caution, also reported earlier but unrelated to the transfer process itself. If you ever have to use the SEL System Restore, this results in the SEL not being able to boot up without a HDMI monitor plugged in. I know one other forum user, whom I have been having PMs with, also had the same experience. We have not yet had a response from HS on this issue, but I'll open another thread to see if a forum Linux guru can help.

Andrew

Last edited by ; November 16, 2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X