No announcement yet.

WD200+ Dimmer Status Lights Work - Lights Not Turning On

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 4 rooms with the same small ceiling fan. One was retrofitted with a LED module that works perfectly with the WD200 and the wattage limiter was removed (module is within spec, and bulbs are no longer interchangeable) so no issues there. The other three rooms with this same ceiling fan all had the same issues... In several instances I heard the clicking of a relay so I suspect it has something to do with LED in-rush current and these specific dimmers as my previous Leviton Vizia RF+ dimmers worked fine for over 4 years. A couple days ago I turned on the lights and I heard a click and the lights went off. I tried again and they turned on fine. Later I tried to turn the lights on again and while the LEDs show it is on, the light is not on.

I purchased the same retrofit LED module and will upgrade the ceiling fan whilst removing the wattage limiter. I will likely have to get the dimmer replaced as well given it likely failed as in the previous several cases. There has to be something wrong with the design for this to happen so reliably on multiple ceiling fans.

rjh - this is in addition to what I have already reported to you.

Comment

I've been reading this and it seems to me that there are three main causes.
      • The first cause is a problem during the assembly process. This could be do too many things that goes into producing devices. In these cause HS needs to have outside labs to determine what these devices fail.
      • The second cause are design errors. These may be as simple and operating a device too close or just past its maximum ratings or not providing sufficient heat-sinking of power level components. Again outside labs can better determine this than trying to do it in house.
      • The third cause is user abuse such as overloading the devices.
      I'm assuming that HS is seriously reviewing fail devices to determine why they failed and hopefully are using an outside lab that has the specialized equipment needed to determine what a device failed.

Devices like dimmers shouldn't normally fail in the first three to five years of service. Heck I've had dimmers in service for well over 10 years without a single failure and there is not reason we shouldn't see the same with Z-Wave dimmers.

One more point about LED lights. HS dimmers seem to be having problem with some types of LED bulbs. If you having failure try putting one standard incandescent bulbs in the group and see if things work better. If they do then it's likely that the LEDs you're using draw such little power that the triac is locking up. I say that because I've come to the conclusion that HS dimmers are leading and not trailing edge dimmers. Leading edge dimmers are more sensitive to LED lights. I'm working on a low cost solution. Currently the only way I know of is to add a Dimmer Bypass and they run about $15 each.
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.500
      Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-48-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 3 08:28:49 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      System Uptime: 9 Days 1 Hour 6 Minutes 33 Seconds | IP Address: 10.0.2.16 | Number of Devices: 421 | Number of Events: 668 | Available Threads: 399 | HSTouch Enabled: True | Event Threads: 13027

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.59.0: BLBackup | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ | 3.6.1.3: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.45: Pushover 3P | 3.0.1.258: Z-Wave

Comment

This is disappointing to hear. Many years ago when I first installed home automation, I installed a bunch of Intermatic dimmers. Today, only one of those Intermatic dimmers is still working. It seems dimmers in general are problematic.

Comment

Seems there is something wrong with the WD200+ dimmers. I've had 2 fail in the same location after just a few weeks each. Failure mode is the same, LEDs on the dimmer operate, Z-wave functions, but there is no voltage on the Load terminal after the failure. Dimmer can be fully ON with all LEDs illuminated and voltage at the Load terminal is still zero. My circuit is not heavily loaded, 5 recessed cans with 9.4 watt LED fixtures. HomeSeer replaced the first failure quickly and I just contacted them about the 2nd failure. Seems odd to me also that these dimmers have been out-of-stock for awhile. Makes me suspect they made some kind of design or manufacturing change and they're waiting for a new version to arrive.

Comment

JoefromBoston - Long periods of shortage do not necessarily equate to product issues. When companies rely on off shore manufacturing, they generally commission large batches of their product to the contract manufacturer (CM) and schedule the next production run for the next batch based on estimated demand. At times, the next batch is not scheduled soon enough (i.e.: underestimated demand) or is delayed (i.e.: component shortages, revision changes needed) which leads to a shortage. Expediting the batch is not always possible due to CM jobs in the queue, cost, long lead times on required components, or other. Shipping is also an issue as to keep cost down, these production runs offshore are often shipped via sea which can take a really long time (weeks) to reach destination but it allows to keep product cost low (or margins higher, whichever way you want to look at it). I do not know anything about HS's supply chain but I would not be surprised if they suffered from some of these issues.

I had to manage with these types of issues personally and it was very stressful to keep product on the shelf... I could not run excessively large production runs for a number of reasons (including the possibility of revision changes) but I had to ensure I always had enough product made to cover me until the next batch got to me. This latter aspect was a bit of an art as product demand is not always constant or predictable... and issues always had the bad habit to popping up when least convenient. There is so much more to this but I wanted to share a few examples of things that cause occasional shortages.

That said, just looking at the mere number of failed devices (mostly WD200+ dimmers) I have had since I upgraded all my dimmers, switches and fan controllers to the HS 200 series a few months ago, I concur there must be a design/production issue at the base of these failures. The number of incompatible loads, compared to my previous Leviton Vizia RF+ dimmers, is startling as well. I definitely expected better... next time I will wait before adopting a new line of products to see what early adopters report. I invested a couple thousand dollars in the upgrade, which is not the end of the world, but just the thought of doing all the work of replacing all the devices again (if failures continue) is upsetting.

Comment

FWIW, other manufacturers have issues like this including large ones like Leviton. I've had many of their z-wave fan switches fail over the years and I know others have had the same issues. The last batch they sent me mid-last year are holding out so far (knock on wood), so it looks like they've finally addressed the component that kept failing...
              HS 3.0.0.532: 1963 Devices 1141 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.1.261: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Reliability of my Leviton Vizia RF+ was exceptional compared to my experience with HS 200 series. I had over 40 Leviton devices run for over 4 years with a single failure (broke immediately after install). On the other hand, I've had at least 5 failures (lost count) in the few months from install (2 pending new production run before RMAing). This is not counting the many "incompatibility" instances I have run into. Also, I have no idea if this is a coincidence, but 3 out of 6 Osram bulbs died one after the other AFTER installing the WD200. They ran fine for over a year with the previous dimmer. Of course it could just be that their over estimated lifetime is coming to an end and that these failures have nothing to do with the WD200 but given all the issues, it makes me wonder.

Comment

All my Leviton Vizia RF+ switches and dimmers have been rock solid, except for the fan controllers where I've experienced a hand full of failures.
                  HS 3.0.0.532: 1963 Devices 1141 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.1.261: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
                    HS is offering to RMA but I am not getting any indication that the problem has been fixed which means I will probably be changing switches regularly. Not happy here.
                    I will be moving I’m in a few weeks and I am definitely second guessing my choice of dimmers. My current home has 60 plus HAI (now Leviton) UPB dimmers with zero failures in 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just had same WD200+ failure. Everything is working but no power on load terminal. I have just 2 small pendant lights with 2x 60W incandescent bulbs connected to it. :-(

Comment

I had a new WD200 fail within a month in the same manner and I only had one in my house. It replaced an Evolve Dimmer which worked fine in the same location for years. After fixing 20+ events twice I have the replacement WD200 installed but now I think it was a mistake to put it back up...

Comment

I replaced a bunch of my GE Z-Wave switches with WD-200 units a few months ago and now one of them is doing exactly this. I had a single LED floodlight connected so not a load issue. I tried replacing it with another LED bulb and a halogen bulb but no luck.

EDIT: HomeSeer replaced the failed unit without cost. They are awesome.
                          Last edited by MFornander; February 20th, 2019, 11:25 AM. Reason: Got a replacement unit

Comment

With the latest firmware of using these as companion switches, anyone have dead WD200+ dimmers that function (other than not supplying power to the load) that they want to get rid of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had this problem several months ago. Issue was apparently fixed in a new manufacturing batch that HomeSeer received in Feb. They sent me replacements from the new batch, which also happened to have the v5.14 firmware. No problems at all since then. I think they have this issue under control now. I believe it was a manufacturing issue, not a firmware issue. Happy with these dimmers now that this has been resolved. Wouldn't hesitate to buy and install another WD200+ next time I need another dimmer.

Comment

GRR, just had WS200+ die in a similar manner. Z-wave works. local load control does not. Hopefully a similar fix has been made to the WS200+.

Comment

Working...
                                X