X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In regards to?

We have posted the WD200 firmware on our downloads page here:

https://homeseer.com/current-downloads/

There is still one issue remaining on the WS200 that we want to resolve before posting that.

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
    Any news ?
    website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

• Originally posted by rjh View Post
      In regards to?

There is still one issue remaining on the WS200 that we want to resolve before posting that.

I think he meant an update that enables a high brightness threshold, much like the setting that allows a low brightness threshold.

Comment

• If you already have 5.14 installed from the beta link, is there any reason to update to the released version?
        Thanks

Comment

• No, its the same version so do not update.

Originally posted by brianaker View Post
          If you already have 5.14 installed from the beta link, is there any reason to update to the released version?
          Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by rjh View Post
            In regards to?

Is an update that enables a high brightness threshold, much like the setting that allows a low brightness threshold feasible/on the roadmap? Maybe a beta release for those that specifically want this feature? Thanks!

Comment

• No plans for any further changes to the firmware but we will note this request.

Originally posted by dibble9012 View Post

Is an update that enables a high brightness threshold, much like the setting that allows a low brightness threshold feasible/on the roadmap? Maybe a beta release for those that specifically want this feature? Thanks!

Comment

• Is there anything in the works to separate out the manual ramp rate from the dimming rate? I have about 100 switches to install however my wife does not approve the amount of time it takes for the WD200 to just "turn on". I must say I agree. You hit the top paddle and it really is too slow - I am not referring to the delay which I know you can now improve with disabling multi tap. I am suggesting what is written about here:

https://floating.io/2018/02/hs-wd200...z-wave-dimmer/

Specifically:
                Unfortunately, the local rate applies to both tap and tap-and-hold operations, which is very limiting. If I want instant-on with a simple tap of the switch, the tap-and-hold dimming functionality is rendered useless due to the hyper-fast ramp-rate. This really needs to be separated out.
                So I can eliminate the ramp up entirely by setting the local ramp rate to 0, but then that disables manual dimming.

As I understand it this wouldn't really be a big change from a firmware perspective, and I have encountered many looking for it. The ramp rate at its minimum setting is just too slow, and that minimum setting is impractically fast for the tap-and-hold dimming. Having the on-tap at 0.5 seconds and the tap-and-hold ramp rate at 2 seconds would be ideal.

I am now more than likely forced to go with Switchlinc dimmers which don't have this problem, as a compromise, however really would prefer the functionality and LED notification use in the WD200.

I did call support and the person I talked to mentioned this is nowhere on the radar but it seems like a big issue, once you notice it it's really hard to get over.

Anyone else finding this to be an issue they wish would be dealt with? For a dimmer with so many additional features this one feels like a basic use functionality that would be amazing if dealt with - and my home automation acumen is that "it must function as a normal home and be approachable, with all the other features available should you know how to use them". I am reluctant to pull the trigger on Insteon as I feel the general build quality of the wd200's is superior. If there is anything at all like this lined up I will be waiting for it.

Tony

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonda View Post
                  Is there anything in the works to separate out the manual ramp rate from the dimming rate? I have about 100 switches to install however my wife does not approve the amount of time it takes for the WD200 to just "turn on". I must say I agree. You hit the top paddle and it really is too slow - I am not referring to the delay which I know you can now improve with disabling multi tap. I am suggesting what is written about here:

Specifically:

So I can eliminate the ramp up entirely by setting the local ramp rate to 0, but then that disables manual dimming.

As I understand it this wouldn't really be a big change from a firmware perspective, and I have encountered many looking for it. The ramp rate at its minimum setting is just too slow, and that minimum setting is impractically fast for the tap-and-hold dimming. Having the on-tap at 0.5 seconds and the tap-and-hold ramp rate at 2 seconds would be ideal.

I am now more than likely forced to go with Switchlinc dimmers which don't have this problem, as a compromise, however really would prefer the functionality and LED notification use in the WD200.

I did call support and the person I talked to mentioned this is nowhere on the radar but it seems like a big issue, once you notice it it's really hard to get over.

Anyone else finding this to be an issue they wish would be dealt with? For a dimmer with so many additional features this one feels like a basic use functionality that would be amazing if dealt with - and my home automation acumen is that "it must function as a normal home and be approachable, with all the other features available should you know how to use them". I am reluctant to pull the trigger on Insteon as I feel the general build quality of the wd200's is superior. If there is anything at all like this lined up I will be waiting for it.

Tony
                  I have found these dimmers die quickly if set on the 0 ramp rate (the in-rush current of some LED lights seems to be too high). Once I set my dimmers to 1+ ramp rate, they stopped dying, for the most part. Honestly, I see what you mean, but the other features of these switches far outweigh the downside of not having this functionality. I absolutely love having my entire house on the homeseer line of switches, fan controllers, dimmers, and floodlight motion sensors.

Comment

• I understand your concern, but this is the very first time anyone has mentioned wanting this feature (to me at least, I will as our support guys). So we will note and see how often if comes up, We add features based on user requests and if there is only one request, its not a feature worth adding.

Note that you have 12 different scenes you can program using double tap, triple, tap, etc (up and down), press and hold. You could program different dim levels to the taps which will probably cover all the levels you would want. You can also program press and hold as a scene, so maybe if you press and hold the top paddle the light goes to 50%. Normally there are only a few specific dim levels you would use in certain locations, so this might work for you.

Originally posted by Tonda View Post
                    Is there anything in the works to separate out the manual ramp rate from the dimming rate? I have about 100 switches to install however my wife does not approve the amount of time it takes for the WD200 to just "turn on". I must say I agree. You hit the top paddle and it really is too slow - I am not referring to the delay which I know you can now improve with disabling multi tap. I am suggesting what is written about here:

Specifically:

Tony

Comment

• +1 for being able to configure how/if the paddle directly controls the load. 👍👍

Ideally the implementation wouldn't be to enable/disable load control from the paddle, but instead to pick the gesture (e.g. hav a setting like Load Control: 0) disable, 1) one tap, 2) two taps, 3) three taps, 4) four taps, 5) five taps, 6) hold). With this option, I'd end up setting a bunch of switches such that the 5-tap controls the load directly, and then use the other gestures for various scene activations mediated by the hub.

With the proliferation of devices that turn themselves on and off based on network messages, it is really useful to replace a dumb switch that could get switched off by guests or absentmindedness with a smart switch that is only a scene controller. Especially given that, reportedly, some smart lights will reset themselves after a power outage 😑

Yes we could connect the load permanently, but what happens that rare time you need to switch the power off because the smart bulb gets broken, is malfunctioning, needs to be reset and you don't want to run to the other side of the house to the circuit breaker and kill the whole circuit.

There's also the issue of having different gestures control different devices. E.g. in my bathroom the load is hooked up to a light built into the side medicine cabinet and my mirror is lit by z-wave LED strips. I'd like one tap to turn on the mirror since that is the main light, and two taps to turn on the medicine cabinet light. Currently I have it the other way around which is not intuitive when I have guests.

With the scene events, the controllable status LED and the recent group 2 controls, these wall switches are pretty good but with a few more tweaks they could be awesome!

I've run into a number of threads on home automation forums of people looking for z-wave switches that separate out load control and no one has any good suggestions. You folks could be the only game in town to support people looking for this, and I bet they end up buying more than just one switch

Other less important requests:
                      1) Support receiving commands from arbitrary group ids. E.g. I have a scene controller with 4 buttons and a bunch of gestures that uses groups 2-9 to send on/off and brightness commands. Sending out only on group 2 is fine, but it'd be really nice not to limit the id for incoming commands.
                      2) The max brightness might be a nice thing to have, and would provide symmetry to the min brightness setting.

Comment

• Gonna jump on this train and say that now that I've got 30+ WD-200+ units installed in place of the Switchlinc units that I'm disappointed in the dim functions. A tap should have an option to dim up quickly or even instantaneously without stopping a long-press from going at a slower rate. I knew it was this way after testing a year ago... but I figured there'd be some way to resolve the dimming local / remote / tap thing and that HS would address it. I mean... Switchlinc units from ten years ago have better usability / functionality? That just ain't right.

And I'm not sure that "no one has requested this" is a great response. How would they know how well a switch could work if they hadn't used the Switchlinc units?

I think the "separate load from tap" option is a good one, too. So long as it's a setting, of course.

On the dimming functions, if I'm using these correctly, here's the settings I see and what they seem to do:
                        Ramp Rate for Local Control - 0-90 seconds
                        Ramp Rate for Remote Control - 0-90 seconds
                        Faster Response / Disable Multitap - A/B

What's missing is Ramp Rate on Local Single-Tap, I think.

That said, the "Faster Response" option seems like it was addressed in the Switchlinc units: single tap was fast; double-tap was double - no issues in a decade. So maybe there's something else going on in here that I'm not noticing. For some reason, Switchlinc single-tap was always as fast as a non-experienced user would expect; but that's not the case with HS switches - so it's good that the feature is there to fix it, I guess. But it'd be nice not to have the problem in the first place. Or maybe that's another setting: Delay on Local Tap (in milliseconds).

FTR, I'm committed: home, office, and condo are all on Z-Wave now. Just didn't want to deal with the ISY / Insteon stuff as a separate thing anymore. And glad to gain the LED indicators - still figuring out how I'll use them. Also glad to gain the 3x/4x/5x tap options. Still playing with those, too. Missing 6-button and 8-button units. And disappointed to have a blend of Jasco motion with HS in every room - HS should have motion as well. And disappointed that there's no power-reporting feature. But... I'm committed. Hoping these little elements can be addressed as settings in a firmware update.

Comment

• Checked with support, still no requests for this.

But the dimmer sends a scene command on a single tap. So create an event that triggers on the press (up OR down OR both), then send the command to the dimmer to set it to the level you want. That sounds like that will handle it. You can then still press and hold to set a specific level. Use the other taps to go to a different level.

Originally posted by gregoryx View Post
                          Gonna jump on this train and say that now that I've got 30+ WD-200+ units installed in place of the Switchlinc units that I'm disappointed in the dim functions. A tap should have an option to dim up quickly or even instantaneously without stopping a long-press from going at a slower rate. I knew it was this way after testing a year ago... but I figured there'd be some way to resolve the dimming local / remote / tap thing and that HS would address it. I mean... Switchlinc units from ten years ago have better usability / functionality? That just ain't right.

And I'm not sure that "no one has requested this" is a great response. How would they know how well a switch could work if they hadn't used the Switchlinc units?

I think the "separate load from tap" option is a good one, too. So long as it's a setting, of course.

On the dimming functions, if I'm using these correctly, here's the settings I see and what they seem to do:
                          Ramp Rate for Local Control - 0-90 seconds
                          Ramp Rate for Remote Control - 0-90 seconds
                          Faster Response / Disable Multitap - A/B

What's missing is Ramp Rate on Local Single-Tap, I think.

That said, the "Faster Response" option seems like it was addressed in the Switchlinc units: single tap was fast; double-tap was double - no issues in a decade. So maybe there's something else going on in here that I'm not noticing. For some reason, Switchlinc single-tap was always as fast as a non-experienced user would expect; but that's not the case with HS switches - so it's good that the feature is there to fix it, I guess. But it'd be nice not to have the problem in the first place. Or maybe that's another setting: Delay on Local Tap (in milliseconds).

FTR, I'm committed: home, office, and condo are all on Z-Wave now. Just didn't want to deal with the ISY / Insteon stuff as a separate thing anymore. And glad to gain the LED indicators - still figuring out how I'll use them. Also glad to gain the 3x/4x/5x tap options. Still playing with those, too. Missing 6-button and 8-button units. And disappointed to have a blend of Jasco motion with HS in every room - HS should have motion as well. And disappointed that there's no power-reporting feature. But... I'm committed. Hoping these little elements can be addressed as settings in a firmware update.

Comment

• Can't help it... got me chuckling at "no requests for this." IOW, those posting here need to file a formal request in triplicate on the white/pink/green paper (press hard) for it to count as a request?

Is the request making sense? A single tap should be instantaneous local action. AND press-hold should be a separate dimming rate. Is this making sense to you, rjh ? Not trying to be facetious. Truly wondering if you can appreciate why this is desirable?

Basically, one now has to choose between an ability to dim up/down OR instant on function. Normal humans don't like that. HA geeks don't care... but that really shouldn't be our audience.

Comment

• Originally posted by gregoryx View Post
                              Can't help it... got me chuckling at "no requests for this." IOW, those posting here need to file a formal request in triplicate on the white/pink/green paper (press hard) for it to count as a request?

Is the request making sense? A single tap should be instantaneous local action. AND press-hold should be a separate dimming rate. Is this making sense to you, rjh ? Not trying to be facetious. Truly wondering if you can appreciate why this is desirable?

Basically, one now has to choose between an ability to dim up/down OR instant on function. Normal humans don't like that. HA geeks don't care... but that really shouldn't be our audience.
                              Even HA geeks care, because most have family that turn the light on/off at the switch - and most of those non-HA folks know how dimming *should* work!

Comment

• If someone calls our support or emails us, we log the requests. I talked with support and they have not had any requests for this, so its only been a request from this forum, and I don't think many chimed in on this. I guess we could post a poll. I am not saying its not a bad feature, we just can't go adding every feature someone requests! The switch would be a complicated mess.

I posted a simple workaround for this, you can use the multi tap feature to set different dim levels. You can even program press and hold to go to a specific level. Most likely you are dimming to a common level. If you speed up the ramp rate just a little, it goes to full brightness pretty quickly and you can still adjust the level.

Originally posted by gregoryx View Post
                                Can't help it... got me chuckling at "no requests for this." IOW, those posting here need to file a formal request in triplicate on the white/pink/green paper (press hard) for it to count as a request?

Comment

Working...
                                X