Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I appreciate the "too many requests" thing, Rich. I hope you can understand that the whole issue is immediate response to a user's interaction - which the out-and-back of a Homeseer event triggered by the single-tap really doesn't address.

I think sometimes it's easy to confuse a standard user request with a design flaw. This is a design flaw. You're not getting feedback on it because everyone is taking for granted that this is simply the way it works. It's a bit like the flickering with LEDs: everyone knows that sucks but the switches are not going to be redesigned to include circuitry to address it. This seems similar in that it's easy to take for granted that it's just the way it is. Except you CAN fix this with firmware - no circuitry required.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjh View Post
      If someone calls our support or emails us, we log the requests. I talked with support and they have not had any requests for this, so its only been a request from this forum, and I don't think many chimed in on this. I guess we could post a poll. I am not saying its not a bad feature, we just can't go adding every feature someone requests! The switch would be a complicated mess.

I posted a simple workaround for this, you can use the multi tap feature to set different dim levels. You can even program press and hold to go to a specific level. Most likely you are dimming to a common level. If you speed up the ramp rate just a little, it goes to full brightness pretty quickly and you can still adjust the level.

Hi rjh,
      I called support on March 13th, prior to posting here, and didn't really get a helpful answer, spoke either with someone new or someone that wasn't all that interested, so I'm not surprised you didn't come across a log of it. To me (and to those now reading this) I am not asking for some sort of strange feature for my own use, it's rather something that is lacking from the dimmer, particularly a dimmer with so many options. I called because I assumed I was missing something, somewhere hidden in the settings. The local tap-to-on rate should be separated out from the local dim ramp rate.

Since my post I've gone ahead and outfitted my home with switchlincs. I must say that using both side by side, the minimum on-ramp rate on the wd200 makes it feel like something is wrong with it. I appreciate your work around offering of double tapping but really that is just a patch, not a solution, and only useful for people who know what they are doing, not a visitor or family member who isn't involved in the set-up, or who isn't interested in me walking around the house saying "this one here is a dimmer, but you can't dim, you have to double tap for 50%, triple tap for 25%, or if you need to go into the kids room and change a diaper at night, tap 4 times for a really low setting!" etc. It would work if there was an update around the corner but from what I gather that's not in the works (which was the original reason for my reaching out).

It's a great switch otherwise and I wanted to make it work, perhaps I'm too detail oriented when it comes to lighting : )
      I will have a few throughout the house not connected to any loads to use for scenes and as status indicators, but it's not a viable contender for a switch due to its ramp adjustment issues.
      Thanks again for the feedback and for the consideration on this issue, loving HS in general!

Comment

• Originally posted by gregoryx View Post
        I appreciate the "too many requests" thing, Rich. I hope you can understand that the whole issue is immediate response to a user's interaction - which the out-and-back of a Homeseer event triggered by the single-tap really doesn't address.

I think sometimes it's easy to confuse a standard user request with a design flaw. This is a design flaw. You're not getting feedback on it because everyone is taking for granted that this is simply the way it works. It's a bit like the flickering with LEDs: everyone knows that sucks but the switches are not going to be redesigned to include circuitry to address it. This seems similar in that it's easy to take for granted that it's just the way it is. Except you CAN fix this with firmware - no circuitry required.
        Agree 100%
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_78504.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1299195

Comment

• I have noted the request and we will see if we get more like this. Right now we don't have any resources to work on this so we will gather up requests and implement them as a batch, makes more sense to handle it this way. Doing firmware changes is a lot of work unfortunately. The new 700 series Z-Wave chips will be much easier to work with, but we don't have plans to switch to that at this time.

Originally posted by Tonda View Post

Hi rjh,
          I called support on March 13th, prior to posting here, and didn't really get a helpful answer, spoke either with someone new or someone that wasn't all that interested, so I'm not surprised you didn't come across a log of it. To me (and to those now reading this) I am not asking for some sort of strange feature for my own use, it's rather something that is lacking from the dimmer, particularly a dimmer with so many options. I called because I assumed I was missing something, somewhere hidden in the settings. The local tap-to-on rate should be separated out from the local dim ramp rate.

Since my post I've gone ahead and outfitted my home with switchlincs. I must say that using both side by side, the minimum on-ramp rate on the wd200 makes it feel like something is wrong with it. I appreciate your work around offering of double tapping but really that is just a patch, not a solution, and only useful for people who know what they are doing, not a visitor or family member who isn't involved in the set-up, or who isn't interested in me walking around the house saying "this one here is a dimmer, but you can't dim, you have to double tap for 50%, triple tap for 25%, or if you need to go into the kids room and change a diaper at night, tap 4 times for a really low setting!" etc. It would work if there was an update around the corner but from what I gather that's not in the works (which was the original reason for my reaching out).

It's a great switch otherwise and I wanted to make it work, perhaps I'm too detail oriented when it comes to lighting : )
          I will have a few throughout the house not connected to any loads to use for scenes and as status indicators, but it's not a viable contender for a switch due to its ramp adjustment issues.
          Thanks again for the feedback and for the consideration on this issue, loving HS in general!
          website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonda View Post

Hi rjh,

Agreed on the Switchlinc vs HS-WD stuff. This is the one thing I really regret losing in getting rid of the Switchlincs. There is no indication that they are anything but a high-quality fancy light-switch. They work as well as such a thing should.

Comment

I have noted the request and we will see if we get more like this. Right now we don't have any resources to work on this so we will gather up requests and implement them as a batch, makes more sense to handle it this way. Doing firmware changes is a lot of work unfortunately. The new 700 series Z-Wave chips will be much easier to work with, but we don't have plans to switch to that at this time.

Rich,

How to vote up this issue?

Even when the 700 series chips become available (for easier firmware changes), it won't help those who have the non-700 series HomeSeer dimmers (if not implemented in those device's firmware). If I'd have to upgrade to another new dimmer to get this feature, I'd probably look elsewhere for other alternatives.

HomeSeer dimmers should really be updated to Work like a *normal* (every day) dimmer. I know I'll be looking at other alternatives for future updates. Might even consider exchange of existing dimmers if I find another that I like which works like a regular dimmer. It's hard to explain to visitors "how to dim" HomeSeer dimmers. Intuitively, they should work just like dimmers that our visitor's are used to in their own homes!

It's strange to even have to ask.

Comment

• I'll chime in and add a +1 request to the feature of separating the on/off ramp rate from the dimming rate.

That said, even with more people chiming in, would that make a difference?

There's an absurd amount of people who have demonstrated they want an option to separate button presses from load control (or specify which type of tap controls load) and it seems like those requests are not addressed.

Comment

• Keep the ramp rate where you like it, then have an HS event trigger on a single tap. Have the action set the level to 100%. Set the remote ramp rate to instant. Now it works as desired.

Originally posted by Royal2000H View Post
                  I'll chime in and add a +1 request to the feature of separating the on/off ramp rate from the dimming rate.

That said, even with more people chiming in, would that make a difference?

There's an absurd amount of people who have demonstrated they want an option to separate button presses from load control (or specify which type of tap controls load) and it seems like those requests are not addressed.

Comment

• rjh. On a related issue, for the WD100+ with the 50.4 firmware, it seems that the single tap event isn't sent until after the dimming ramp cycle completes so the technique of the prior post would not work for the WD100 with 50.4. This is unlike earlier WD100 firmware (e.g., 5.19) which sent the single tap right away and then did the dimming ramp. Is is possible to revert the 50.4 firmware back to 5.19 or else can the 50.4 firmware be fixed. For me, this is a big issue with these dimmers - though, fortunately, most of my dimmers are the 5.19 variety.

Comment

Keep the ramp rate where you like it, then have an HS event trigger on a single tap. Have the action set the level to 100%. Set the remote ramp rate to instant. Now it works as desired.

In my post, I was focused more on the high number of people wanting to make it so taps don't affect the load.

That said, in response to your workaround for the ramp rate, it's not a total fix because:
                      A) When tapping up, I want to return to previous brightness, not 100% - so you have to keep track of previous brightness, but sure that can be done
                      B) Not all of us use Homeseer controllers.
                      -- I use Home Assistant. One big issue/bug with these Homeseer Dimmers is that they sent multiple status when they ramp up. For example, when I tap up, the dimmer sends out message with the scene tap event as well as a message that it was turned on to a brightness of ~5 (sometimes more sometimes less) and then a message that it was turned on to full brightness. With a slower ramp rate, it could even have another intermediary brightness message in there. Sometimes there's more/fewer of those messages. It's not totally predictable. This causes some issues for me because I create actions based on those messages. With a faster ramp rate, I can eliminate some of those issues (though not entirely). But with a faster ramp rate, I have the issue that I can't feasibly dim at the dimmer itself with press+hold.

Comment

• Are we ever going to see the WS200+ firmware posted? Or has this been abandoned?

Comment

• Actually we just finished testing the last fix and it looks good, will get it posted tomorrow.

Originally posted by Shallowearth View Post
                          Are we ever going to see the WS200+ firmware posted? Or has this been abandoned?

Comment

• Any news on the firmware release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I updated the original post in this thread with the 5.13 release of the HS-WS200 firmware. This fixes an issue where if you pressed and held the paddle the load was controlled, when it should not be controlled.

Originally posted by dibble9012 View Post
                              Any news on the firmware release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I updated the original post in this thread with the 5.13 release of the HS-WS200 firmware. This fixes an issue where if you pressed and held the paddle the load was controlled, when it should not be controlled.

Hey Rich, I'm confused. Do you mean you posted 5.14?

Also, two questions. One...will you still lose the node ID even now the group 2 association was handled in an earlier firmware version?

Also, what changed in the dim settings from the earlier version?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X