Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I appreciate the "too many requests" thing, Rich. I hope you can understand that the whole issue is immediate response to a user's interaction - which the out-and-back of a Homeseer event triggered by the single-tap really doesn't address.

I think sometimes it's easy to confuse a standard user request with a design flaw. This is a design flaw. You're not getting feedback on it because everyone is taking for granted that this is simply the way it works. It's a bit like the flickering with LEDs: everyone knows that sucks but the switches are not going to be redesigned to include circuitry to address it. This seems similar in that it's easy to take for granted that it's just the way it is. Except you CAN fix this with firmware - no circuitry required.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjh View Post
      If someone calls our support or emails us, we log the requests. I talked with support and they have not had any requests for this, so its only been a request from this forum, and I don't think many chimed in on this. I guess we could post a poll. I am not saying its not a bad feature, we just can't go adding every feature someone requests! The switch would be a complicated mess.

I posted a simple workaround for this, you can use the multi tap feature to set different dim levels. You can even program press and hold to go to a specific level. Most likely you are dimming to a common level. If you speed up the ramp rate just a little, it goes to full brightness pretty quickly and you can still adjust the level.

Hi rjh,
      I called support on March 13th, prior to posting here, and didn't really get a helpful answer, spoke either with someone new or someone that wasn't all that interested, so I'm not surprised you didn't come across a log of it. To me (and to those now reading this) I am not asking for some sort of strange feature for my own use, it's rather something that is lacking from the dimmer, particularly a dimmer with so many options. I called because I assumed I was missing something, somewhere hidden in the settings. The local tap-to-on rate should be separated out from the local dim ramp rate.

Since my post I've gone ahead and outfitted my home with switchlincs. I must say that using both side by side, the minimum on-ramp rate on the wd200 makes it feel like something is wrong with it. I appreciate your work around offering of double tapping but really that is just a patch, not a solution, and only useful for people who know what they are doing, not a visitor or family member who isn't involved in the set-up, or who isn't interested in me walking around the house saying "this one here is a dimmer, but you can't dim, you have to double tap for 50%, triple tap for 25%, or if you need to go into the kids room and change a diaper at night, tap 4 times for a really low setting!" etc. It would work if there was an update around the corner but from what I gather that's not in the works (which was the original reason for my reaching out).

It's a great switch otherwise and I wanted to make it work, perhaps I'm too detail oriented when it comes to lighting : )
      I will have a few throughout the house not connected to any loads to use for scenes and as status indicators, but it's not a viable contender for a switch due to its ramp adjustment issues.
      Thanks again for the feedback and for the consideration on this issue, loving HS in general!

Comment

• Originally posted by gregoryx View Post
        I appreciate the "too many requests" thing, Rich. I hope you can understand that the whole issue is immediate response to a user's interaction - which the out-and-back of a Homeseer event triggered by the single-tap really doesn't address.

I think sometimes it's easy to confuse a standard user request with a design flaw. This is a design flaw. You're not getting feedback on it because everyone is taking for granted that this is simply the way it works. It's a bit like the flickering with LEDs: everyone knows that sucks but the switches are not going to be redesigned to include circuitry to address it. This seems similar in that it's easy to take for granted that it's just the way it is. Except you CAN fix this with firmware - no circuitry required.
        Agree 100%
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_78504.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1299195

Comment

• I have noted the request and we will see if we get more like this. Right now we don't have any resources to work on this so we will gather up requests and implement them as a batch, makes more sense to handle it this way. Doing firmware changes is a lot of work unfortunately. The new 700 series Z-Wave chips will be much easier to work with, but we don't have plans to switch to that at this time.

Originally posted by Tonda View Post

Hi rjh,
          I called support on March 13th, prior to posting here, and didn't really get a helpful answer, spoke either with someone new or someone that wasn't all that interested, so I'm not surprised you didn't come across a log of it. To me (and to those now reading this) I am not asking for some sort of strange feature for my own use, it's rather something that is lacking from the dimmer, particularly a dimmer with so many options. I called because I assumed I was missing something, somewhere hidden in the settings. The local tap-to-on rate should be separated out from the local dim ramp rate.

Since my post I've gone ahead and outfitted my home with switchlincs. I must say that using both side by side, the minimum on-ramp rate on the wd200 makes it feel like something is wrong with it. I appreciate your work around offering of double tapping but really that is just a patch, not a solution, and only useful for people who know what they are doing, not a visitor or family member who isn't involved in the set-up, or who isn't interested in me walking around the house saying "this one here is a dimmer, but you can't dim, you have to double tap for 50%, triple tap for 25%, or if you need to go into the kids room and change a diaper at night, tap 4 times for a really low setting!" etc. It would work if there was an update around the corner but from what I gather that's not in the works (which was the original reason for my reaching out).

It's a great switch otherwise and I wanted to make it work, perhaps I'm too detail oriented when it comes to lighting : )
          I will have a few throughout the house not connected to any loads to use for scenes and as status indicators, but it's not a viable contender for a switch due to its ramp adjustment issues.
          Thanks again for the feedback and for the consideration on this issue, loving HS in general!
          website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

Working...
          X