X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timon
    replied
    Originally posted by rwatson View Post
    Isn't this something that one of the dimmer bypass products fixes?

Such as this - https://smile.amazon.com/Aeotec-Bypa.../dp/B0716BDNFB

If you google "dimmer bypass" you'll get several of them.
    It should but the cost is quite high. Now if that was a two pack it wouldn't be so bad.

My understanding is, and I need to verify this, that with a very low load some Triac will false trigger but there are some that won't. Don't know if those would be drop-in replacements.

Dimmer scaling is a totally different issue. It's basically adjusting the low end so that 1% will bring the LED on at its lowest level. One issue through is that some LEDs will dim down lower that they will start up. In that case one needs to go from off to the startup value then to the dim value you want So to make all of this work you need two parameters that you can adjust to get the LEDs to work the way you want them too.

Leave a comment:

• scorp508
    replied
    Originally posted by Timon View Post
    I inquired with HS about the current state of the WD200 not being able to handle the filament style LED bulbs, that are quickly becoming the most popular LED bulb you can buy especially to open type fixtures, issues with them. I also noted the fact that the WD100 and the old Evolve z-wave dimmers handle them much better than the WD200. Although I didn’t expect a solution yet I was at leasing hoping they were looking into the problem.

I must say I was most disappointed when I got the following official reply from HomeSeer.
    Oh dear. I saw this after posting this;

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...00-or-hs-wd200

Leave a comment:

• rwatson
    replied
    Isn't this something that one of the dimmer bypass products fixes?

Such as this - https://smile.amazon.com/Aeotec-Bypa.../dp/B0716BDNFB

If you google "dimmer bypass" you'll get several of them.

Leave a comment:

• aruffell
    replied

What I fear is coming is people will purchase them and then return them when they find out they can't use them with the most common LED bulbs. That won't be good for business. This is a totally fixable problem but HS has to have the will to fix it.
    This will drive them to fix the issue... I just spent about $2k in dimmers/switches/fan controllers and am not too happy about the apparent compatibility issues I am running into. For several rooms I solved the issue modifying the ceiling fan to use an LED retrofit kit that seems 100% compatible with the WD200 but on my 3 larger fans I cannot do so therefore I am stuck hunting for bulbs that will work. I do not like the old looking filament bulbs and very much prefer the new style but stores do not seem to carry them as most still look for the old looking ones .

Leave a comment:

• Timon
    replied
    Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
    OK. I guess that is that. I am in the market for a couple of dimmers and I've been waiting for the known WD200 issues to shake out, but it appears that is just not going to happen. Does anybody have any stories with happy endings using [any] current filament style bulbs and [any] make/model of dimmer?
    I've only tried my old Evolve dimmers and the WD100 and WD200. Both the WD100 and my old Evolves work with just a little bit of flicker at very low dimming levels.

I'm trying a snubber to see if it helps however they can be an issue because they can get hot so they are best used in a metal box. I'd sure like to know what the difference in the output circuit between the WD100 and WD200 since the WD100.

What I fear is coming is people will purchase them and then return them when they find out they can't use them with the most common LED bulbs. That won't be good for business. This is a totally fixable problem but HS has to have the will to fix it.

Leave a comment:

• ewkearns
    replied
    OK. I guess that is that. I am in the market for a couple of dimmers and I've been waiting for the known WD200 issues to shake out, but it appears that is just not going to happen. Does anybody have any stories with happy endings using [any] current filament style bulbs and [any] make/model of dimmer?

Leave a comment:

• Timon
    replied
    I inquired with HS about the current state of the WD200 not being able to handle the filament style LED bulbs, that are quickly becoming the most popular LED bulb you can buy especially to open type fixtures, issues with them. I also noted the fact that the WD100 and the old Evolve z-wave dimmers handle them much better than the WD200. Although I didn’t expect a solution yet I was at leasing hoping they were looking into the problem.

I must say I was most disappointed when I got the following official reply from HomeSeer.

We do not have any plans for working with filament style bulbs”

I don’t understand how any dimmer manufacture can ignore these bulbs considering how popular they are becoming. In fact many of the standard dimmers you find at HomeDepot and Lowe’s do work with these bulbs. I really expect that they will soon become about the only LED bulbs you’ll find stores carrying. Hopefully this position will change especially if enough people request it.

Unless something changes this is all I have to say on the subject.

Leave a comment:

• Timon
    replied
    I’m wondering if anyone at HS has had some time to at least see what’s happening? Don’t expect a solution just wondering if they see the problem.

Leave a comment:

• aruffell
    replied
    aruffell - Monitoring the AC line is tricky to do safely. Best way is to have a isolation transformer which most people don't have.
    Thank you for the reminder... As a refresher I watched this video and decided to table the experiment for a while until I have learnt how not to blow my scope up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaELqAo4kkQ

Leave a comment:

• Timon
    replied
    aruffell - Monitoring the AC line is tricky to do safely. Best way is to have a isolation transformer which most people don't have.

As I've said I know that it can be done since my old Evolve dimmers can handle them. I'd be willing to send one of my old one to HS for dissection.

These filament bulbs can't be ignored anymore. I just wish that HS would keep us informed about these. I'm holding a 20 dimmer order until I hear what's happening.

BTW, I've done some testing with ones that Pete has used that I just received from Amazon. On the WD100 they have a little shimmer at low dimming levels which make them kinds look like a candle flicker. Run the brightness up a little and that goes away. I need to test them on a WD200 next. Once I test them with the WD200 I'll post back.

Leave a comment:

• aruffell
    replied
    I upgraded all my Leviton Vizia RF+ zwave dimmers to the HomeSeer WD200+ and have run into many more compatibility issues that with the older Leviton dimmers. I was expecting some but not as bad. In several ceiling fans I removed the standard light kit and replaced it with a 2200 lumen retrofit kit which works perfectly with the WD200. However, in 3 other ceiling fans I have 9 bulbs and cannot perform the same retrofit. This is mostly where I am still having issues... I suspect that the silly current limiters imposed by law to ensure people do not exceed a certain wattage may be to blame. I've read elsewhere of similar blinking issues... one telltale sign might be whether the light bulbs all blink in unison or at random. The current protection has a relay so they would all blink together if it has anything to do with it.

@Timor - I have had terrible luck with the Home Depot filament style bulbs. I try to avoid them but unfortunately it appears the manufacturers are moving to that style as it costs less and it appeases all those looking for bulbs that look like the traditional filament bulbs. I've also read and experienced directly that the Philips Warm Glow bulbs work great with the WD200 but I am not a fan of the color temperature warming up the dimmer I go... it is nice in certain rooms, but not all. I have also found some Osram bulbs (not filament) that work great but I am not sure they are still easy to find. They look like this one (the bulb not the packaging):

My latest issue with the WD200 controlling a ceiling fan with 9 ecoSmart bulbs is that no matter what percentage I set, they appear to be on at 100%. If this turns out to be a failed WD200, it would be my 3rd failed dimmer in a few months. I hope these issues are not due to WD200 hardware issues as I recently installed a total of 42 HomeSeer dimmers/switches (most of which are dimmers) in my home. Track record is not encouraging... 2 WD200, 1 WS200, 1 FC200 all failed within a couple months of use.

Timon - I do have a cheap Rigol 100MHz scope but I am far from an expert user... if you can tell me what to do, I could try doing so.

Leave a comment:

• Timon
    replied
    I did receive an answer back from HS support. Basically it's live with it engineering can figure out how to fix it. Ok, I understand that but to me this should be the highest on the list of things to fix. I really don't want to see anything else on the WD200 dimmers until this issue is fixed and we know when we'll be able to get the upgraded WD200 dimmers. BTW, I suggested they mark them as WD201 so we know the difference.

I've been checking HomeDepot web site and I can tell you the majority of the LED bulbs are now the filament style and most of the least expensive dimmers can dim them even those that don't have a neutral connection.

So the two things that HS needs to work on is:
    • See if there is a work around which will allow the bulbs to work with the existing dimmers.
    • Upgrade the WD200 dimmers so it will work with them directly.
    I can, as I think most of us can, live with the existing WD200 as long as we're not using filament bulbs in fixtures where we can't see the bulbs. In my case that means I can't use them for any of my sconces or chandlers.

Leave a comment:

• jmaddox
    replied
    I ended up purchasing a Filament style led bulb that was shorter and more rounded than the philips. The bulbs are used in two identical ceiling fan light kits each with it's own WD100. ramping up and down is smooth, slight hum when dimmed. good range; my rough assessment is they hit full on at about 80%, no flicker at any part of the dimming curve. The only odd behavior I noticed is that one of the WD100's flashes, then dims up normally. This behavior wasn't evident when using incandescent bulbs in the fixture; I suspect it's the WD100. I mitigated the effect by setting the ramp rate to 1 instead of the default 3. I'll likely swap out the oddly behaving WD100 at some point in the future.

LVWIT G14 Dimmable LED Globe Bulb E12 Candelabra Base,3000K Soft White 4W(40W Incandescent Equivalent) LED Filament Bulb, 6-Pack

sorry; for some reason if I try to link to the product page it refuses to work

Leave a comment:

• Timon
    replied
    Ok, still have one test to run but I have to either move a dimmer to do it or go down and buy a filament style bulb that the same as the one I have but in an Edison base. Seems that of my 5 WD200 dimmers only one is connected to a fixture that has candelabra sockets.

What I am reporting is that I don't have the flickering issue with the WD100 dimmers. They will ramp up and down without any major issues. They will flicker slightly at extremely low levels but the flicker is more like a candle flame that flashing.

So is there something different between the WD100 and WD200 dimming circuits or do I have a bad WD200? Time will tell.

-----------------------

Looks like I spoke too soon. Put two 40W (3.8w actual draw) LED Filament style bulbs in my kitchen ceiling fan which is fed by a WD100. These were the same bulbs I tested on another WD100 in the dinning room chandelier. They will dim up and down as long as you don't go to full on. Once you get above some around 90%+ they will lock into full bright until they go to zero.

I've now reported this to Tech Support so this can be official. I hope that HS start communicating with us on this issue through the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    It is understood that the OP relates to the ZWave WD200.

These are just LED lamps that I am automating and they work fine with UPB switches (SA, HAI, PCS).

Just UPB in wall switches (single load, dual load, single paddle and multiple paddle switches).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X