• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macromark
    replied
    Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
    you know my question...

are you planning on getting any in a toggle style? id be in if so...

sorry... no plans for that at this point.

Leave a comment:

• macromark
    replied
    Originally posted by Automated View Post
    It is important to know the approach to dimming of the AC sine wave to properly match the dimmer to the lights. For example, if the dimmer is forward phase, but not symetric, there will be a DC voltage left on the load side of the line. In a magnetic low voltage light transformer, that will cause heating, premature failure, and perhaps a fire risk. Some LED lights have a power supply that will not tolerate ANY kind of forward phase dimmer, and need an inverse type. Inverse phase dimmers are called ELV dimmers by some manufacturers. On the other hand, one should never use an ELV dimmer on a magnetic low voltage (MLV) light. Incandescent lights can use any dimmer type. These are just a few examples. Personally, I have some early generation Cree LED can light modules that will only work with ELV dimmers unless there are multiple on the circuit. This has nothing to do with the neutrals, but just stability of the dimmer circuit.

With regard to the transient protection, I ask because these switches get expensive when you fill a house with them, and it won't be acceptable if one dies every few lightning storms. I experienced this in the past with cheaper X10 switches, which I assume had no protection built in. The Leviton Zwave switches we have now specifically list that they have the protection.

Please also consider developing a ceiling fan speed control dimmer.
    http://ecmweb.com/lighting-control/s...-light-dimming

Leave a comment:

• macromark
    replied
    Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
    Not sure if this was answered, but can the double tap be used to turn on another device without turning on the load? I have under cabinet lighting I would like to add manual control without turn on or off the main load, if possible.
    Yes, a double-tap merely changes the status of the "central scene" device; it does not control the attached load. In your case, you just create an event that triggers on the double-tap turn on the cabinet lighting.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    you know my question...

are you planning on getting any in a toggle style? id be in if so...

Leave a comment:

• Automated
    replied
    Originally posted by macromark View Post
    had to message the engineers. When I get a reply, I'll let you know. Why are you asking these specific questions? Are you looking to buy a certain type of dimmer?
    It is important to know the approach to dimming of the AC sine wave to properly match the dimmer to the lights. For example, if the dimmer is forward phase, but not symetric, there will be a DC voltage left on the load side of the line. In a magnetic low voltage light transformer, that will cause heating, premature failure, and perhaps a fire risk. Some LED lights have a power supply that will not tolerate ANY kind of forward phase dimmer, and need an inverse type. Inverse phase dimmers are called ELV dimmers by some manufacturers. On the other hand, one should never use an ELV dimmer on a magnetic low voltage (MLV) light. Incandescent lights can use any dimmer type. These are just a few examples. Personally, I have some early generation Cree LED can light modules that will only work with ELV dimmers unless there are multiple on the circuit. This has nothing to do with the neutrals, but just stability of the dimmer circuit.

With regard to the transient protection, I ask because these switches get expensive when you fill a house with them, and it won't be acceptable if one dies every few lightning storms. I experienced this in the past with cheaper X10 switches, which I assume had no protection built in. The Leviton Zwave switches we have now specifically list that they have the protection.

Please also consider developing a ceiling fan speed control dimmer.

Leave a comment:

• macromark
    replied
    Can I get answers here?
    had to message the engineers. When I get a reply, I'll let you know. Why are you asking these specific questions? Are you looking to buy a certain type of dimmer?

Leave a comment:

• waynehead99
    replied
    Not sure if this was answered, but can the double tap be used to turn on another device without turning on the load? I have under cabinet lighting I would like to add manual control without turn on or off the main load, if possible.

Leave a comment:

• Automated
    replied
    What type of dimmer circuit does it have, forward phase, balanced/symmetric forward phase, or reverse/inverse phase?

Do the new switches contain surge/transient protection components?
    Can I get answers here?

Leave a comment:

• reidfo
    replied
    Wonderful news, Mark! Thanks for the quick response. Now wondering how many I can order without catching too much flak at home...

Leave a comment:

• macromark
    replied
    Originally posted by reidfo View Post
    I was pretty excited to see the email today on the new switches, and the price point is attractive. I have a few questions before I place an order.
    1. Can the dimmers be set to turn on (single tap) to a preset level or last level, or would you have to use events to do this?
    2. Do the switches support beaming?
    3. Is the firmware upgradeable over the air?

At any rate, these look great. The only question is how many I'll be ordering to start with.
    I believe the switch turns on to the last dim level. I'll need to verify that with a switch in my office. You can trigger an event to change the dim level with a double or triple tap. EVERYTHING that's come out in the past 5 years or so supports beaming! So yes, these definitely do. Yes, they also support over the air "OTA" firmware updates.

Leave a comment:

• reidfo
    replied
    I was pretty excited to see the email today on the new switches, and the price point is attractive. I have a few questions before I place an order.
    1. Can the dimmers be set to turn on (single tap) to a preset level or last level, or would you have to use events to do this?
    2. Do the switches support beaming?
    3. Is the firmware upgradeable over the air?

At any rate, these look great. The only question is how many I'll be ordering to start with.

Leave a comment:

• macromark
    replied
    Originally posted by kesterf View Post
    Any plans to offer in color "Light Almond"?
    Not initially. Perhaps later in the year.

Leave a comment:

• kesterf
    replied
    Any plans to offer in color "Light Almond"?

Leave a comment:

• macromark
    replied
    Originally posted by S-F View Post
    So I'm assuming it's press to dim just like the GE switches?
    Is there a way to disable the LED indicators on the side? Can you use them as night light like with the GE switches?

Basically I just want GE switches of higher quality with instant status.
    The LEDs indicators on the dimmer are not programmable. They are simply on when the load is on or are on relative to the dim level. Otherwise, they're off.

Leave a comment:

• S-F
    replied
    So I'm assuming it's press to dim just like the GE switches?
    Is there a way to disable the LED indicators on the side? Can you use them as night light like with the GE switches?

Basically I just want GE switches of higher quality with instant status.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X