Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS-WD100+ and 4way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HS-WD100+ and 4way

    Can the HS-WD100+ be used as a 4-way switch?

    I plan to have 2 light fixtures and one switch at the top of the stairs, one switch at the bottom of the stairs and another switch at the end of the hallway. This requires a 4-way switch and need to know if the HS-WD100+ will work as a 3-way and 4-way switch
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

  • #2
    Yes, I have a couple of different 4-ways implemented with the WA100's. Just connect them all in parallel. I thought there was a diagram of it somewhere after I did some digging and asked the question early on.

    John

    Comment


    • #3
      The primary switch or dimmer can have up to 3 accessory switches. The traveler wire and neutral are wired to all of the accessory controls in parallel.
      Randy Prade
      Aurora, CO
      Prades.net

      PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

      Comment


      • #4
        I think this is the diagram
        Attached Files
        Cheers,
        Bob
        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Blade View Post
          I think this is the diagram
          Yes, the accessory switches connect in parallel to the traveler and neutral wires.
          Randy Prade
          Aurora, CO
          Prades.net

          PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rprade View Post
            Yes, the accessory switches connect in parallel to the traveler and neutral wires.
            Last edited by The Profit; December 30th, 2017, 06:57 PM.
            HS3 3.0.0.500 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 782 Devices, 479 Events
            Plugin's:
            BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
            EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
            weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

            Comment


            • #7
              HS-WD100+ and 5 way

              Originally posted by rprade View Post
              The primary switch or dimmer can have up to 3 accessory switches. The traveler wire and neutral are wired to all of the accessory controls in parallel.
              Thanks rprade. I'm in this situation, with lighting that has 4 switches. I will wire them up as you says.

              Just curious - where does this information come from? Can you really not have a 5 switch outlet, or would you just wire more in parallel? Why don't they add this info to the pdf (or did I miss it?).

              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Darkhog View Post
                Thanks rprade. I'm in this situation, with lighting that has 4 switches. I will wire them up as you says.

                Just curious - where does this information come from? Can you really not have a 5 switch outlet, or would you just wire more in parallel? Why don't they add this info to the pdf (or did I miss it?).

                Thanks!
                I'm wondering the same thing regarding a 5-way configuration. Seems like it shouldn't matter much if adding one or two more switches into a configuration, but I'd really like to confirm since I have a 5-way configuration requirement.

                Plus Mark put out a HomeSeer video about using the HS-WD200+ in what appears to be a 3-way setup (or at least 2 of the switch LEDs appear to operate together).

                Can anyone answer definitively if I can use the HomeSeer switches (either the 100+ or 200+) in a 5-way configuration? And if not, what is the limitation?

                I'm thinking of skipping the use of companion switches so that light status has better visiblity.

                Appreciate any information!

                EDIT:
                Found another thread that said 4-way and/or 5-way configurations may be limited by signal strength on the traveler wire. And that it doesn't seem possible to use strictly the 100+ or 200+ switches without using companion switches, but seem to need the companion switches. Still, if anyone can confirm, it would be helpful.

                https://youtu.be/rxU8kMk3G9w
                Last edited by NetworkGuy; June 28th, 2018, 09:25 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I believe you can use the wd/ws100 in a 4 or 5 way without the companions although it would be quite a bit cheaper to use the companions. I have several 3 ways with them and 1 4 way and they were super easy to install provided they outlet boxes are wired right.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dweber85rc View Post
                    I believe you can use the wd/ws100 in a 4 or 5 way without the companions although it would be quite a bit cheaper to use the companions. I have several 3 ways with them and 1 4 way and they were super easy to install provided they outlet boxes are wired right.
                    Thanks @Dweber85rc. I do have some companion switches, and the boxes all have the 14/3 wire between boxes to support the 3-way and 5-way configurations, but the only wiring diagrams I've seen aren't clear about using the WD100+ (or WD200+) switches in the auxiliary locations (e.g. in place of the WA100+). Cost is definitely a concern, but the LEDs would be really nice because the "main" switch (WD100+) isn't visible from most locations.

                    I have two 3-way switches and one 5-way switch. Attached is a wiring diagram for a 4-way configuration.

                    Is it as simple as swapping in a WD100+ (or WD200+) for a WA100+?
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      While there might be a stated limitation on the number of companion switches, there is no practical limitation. Each companion switch presents an electrical value between neutral and traveler that is different for the top and bottom buttons. When neither are pressed it presents nothing. This means there should be no practical limit to the number of companion switches. The only issue might be that there is enough internal resistance to be a cumulative problem, but I have installed five companions with a single Jasco dimmer. The Jasco companion is identical to and interchangeable with the HS unit.
                      Randy Prade
                      Aurora, CO
                      Prades.net

                      PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rprade View Post
                        While there might be a stated limitation on the number of companion switches, there is no practical limitation. Each companion switch presents an electrical value between neutral and traveler that is different for the top and bottom buttons. When neither are pressed it presents nothing. This means there should be no practical limit to the number of companion switches. The only issue might be that there is enough internal resistance to be a cumulative problem, but I have installed five companions with a single Jasco dimmer. The Jasco companion is identical to and interchangeable with the HS unit.
                        Thanks Randy, I have only one 5-way setup, so it's nice to know it should work. Appreciate the information!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X