HS-WS100+ Fails i.e. cycles relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-WS100+ Fails i.e. cycles relay

A couple days ago I had a Homeseer HS-WS100+ fail in a manner which I had already had a couple of Dragon Tech switches fail in.

The pattern is:
    1) The switch will turn itself off and back on at a random interval.
    2) At some point when you switch the light on manually, the light switch will start cycling on-off ( at a rate that I would assume is whatever the relay is limited to ).

And:
    * No aux switch.
    * The light bulbs are LED.
    * The breaker does not trip ( Arc Fault/Ground Fault breaker )
    * There is no traffic from any other device to the switch at the time.
    * I have a few GE/Jasco switches; none of these have ever failed in this manner.

Has anyone else observed this?
    ​​​​​​​

I had two of the early ones fail in this fashion. They were replaced under warranty.

I also had a HS-WS200+ fail the same way two weeks ago. It was replaced under warranty.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Had you upgraded the firmware? ( Do you know what the firmware version was ?)

I pulled apart the Dragon switch and noted that the contacts were singed.

Comment

Singed contacts are not good. Any idea what caused that? Overload? Poor manufacturing?
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Just had a HS-WS100+ ver 5.13 switch fail in exactly this way. Went into a continuous on/off cycle that could only be stopped by flipping the breaker. Lucky it didn't blow out the ballasts in my garage lights. I had updated the firmware earlier to try and stop the on/off glitches after turning it on (this kind of worked but those glitches still happened occasionally). I have a few other HS-WS100+s installed so I figure they will fail in a similar manner at some point. These switches shouldn't be failing in less than 2 years!

Comment

If the switch is out of warranty ( i.e. it is dead and you don't care destroying (i.e. do not ever try to use it again ) ), remove the four screws that connect the plate to the plastic housing.
            There will be two boards. One is the relay and the other is the z-wave controller.
            Look at the LOAD terminal under at least a 10x magnifier lens ( I used a 25x magnification lens ( I normally wear glasses )).
            Look to see if some black bits have boiled up through the solder on the LOAD terminal.
            The z-wave board seems to be fine ( I have found that it floods the z-wave networks with reports of change of state of the switch ).

Comment

Working...
            X