HS-WS100 failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-WS100 failures

Anyone else experiencing a high rate of failures from HS-WS100’s?

Mine are about 3 years old and they are starting to fail right and left. Most go into a clicking mode and won’t turn on either physically or by z-wave but one just started turning itself on randomly.
    Michael

I had one that I bought in 2016 that "Failed" in a similar fashion. It would click (on and off?) fast during the night. It was the overhead fan switch in the master bedroom. WAF declined. Swapped it out for another and the problem went away. Accidently chucked it back in the HA bin and several months later, used it again. It has had no problems. I do believe I reflashed the switch at some point, probably when I installed it the 2nd time. Perhaps it was the reset to factory or newer firmware that did the trick. Other than that, I have had ZERO problems with the WS100's. I have 9 of them installed here. They mostly turn on and off the circuit for LIFX bulbs, but 3 of them run bedroom ceiling fans.

Comment

Yes... same here. I have one in my family room that when I turn it on, it would go on and off a few times before it stayed on.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        Yes... same here. I have one in my family room that when I turn it on, it would go on and off a few times before it stayed on.
        Curious.
        In the configuration for the device, do you have "Is Light" checked?
        I had this happen with one of my Leviton dimmers when I was first setting up HS3. It would go through several on/off cycles before finally settling down. The light drove me absolutely nuts for nearly a week before I realized it was the only dimmer I'd set this option on. Unchecking the option fixed the issue.

I asked on the board at the time if anyone had any idea what "Is Light" is actually for but never received any responses. Still a mystery. My lights turn on/off and dim just fine without it.

Edit: It just occurred to me perhaps the option has something to do with an "All Lights On/Off" function in HS, which I've never found.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
          ...I asked on the board at the time if anyone had any idea what "Is Light" is actually for but never received any responses. Still a mystery.,.
          If you hover your cursor over the "Is Light" checkbox you will get a popup description of what "Is Light" does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IsLight.png
Views:	675
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1312416

Comment

Didn't do that in the earlier version I was using at the time.
            Not much use though if it causes the light to go all Amityville Horror.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post

Curious.
              In the configuration for the device, do you have "Is Light" checked?
              I had this happen with one of my Leviton dimmers when I was first setting up HS3. It would go through several on/off cycles before finally settling down. The light drove me absolutely nuts for nearly a week before I realized it was the only dimmer I'd set this option on. Unchecking the option fixed the issue.

I asked on the board at the time if anyone had any idea what "Is Light" is actually for but never received any responses. Still a mystery. My lights turn on/off and dim just fine without it.

Edit: It just occurred to me perhaps the option has something to do with an "All Lights On/Off" function in HS, which I've never found.
              No, I don't have this checked. It worked perfectly when I installed it. It appears that the last couple of nights, it hadn't bounced when activated - though, it certainly was bouncing the last number of weeks. I had updated the firmware of the unit a few months ago thinking that this might fix it. Someone here had mentioned that this was a symptom of the switch beginning to fail.
              So far aside from the functionality of both the WS and WD-100 switches, I'm not overly impressed as I have a WD100 that fail 18 months after install. These things are fairly expensive hovering around $61 on aartech.ca.
              There was a sale on WD100's here from HomeSeer a couple of weeks ago. I asked if they were going to be selling the WS100's. The response was that they would be selling them heavily discounted within a few weeks and to hold tight... still holding

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Heavy discounts usually indicate an end to production (just me being suspicious perhaps).
                My Levitons (also from Aartech) are going on four years old now without a hitch on any of them other than the aforementioned issue which I'm certain was the "Is Light" thing. I have the Levitons everywhere in the house, mainly dimmers + 3 switches which control fluorescent tubes in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                  ...There was a sale on WD100's here from HomeSeer a couple of weeks ago. I asked if they were going to be selling the WS100's. The response was that they would be selling them heavily discounted within a few weeks and to hold tight... still holding

Robert
                  The WD100+ and WS100+ are discontinued since at least February 2019.

Comment

I guess aartech.ca still has old stock...

When I'll need to replace them, I'll then need to dig through events. I don't think I can replace them with 200 series units...

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                      I had one that I bought in 2016 that "Failed" in a similar fashion. It would click (on and off?) fast during the night. It was the overhead fan switch in the master bedroom. WAF declined. Swapped it out for another and the problem went away. Accidently chucked it back in the HA bin and several months later, used it again. It has had no problems. I do believe I reflashed the switch at some point, probably when I installed it the 2nd time. Perhaps it was the reset to factory or newer firmware that did the trick. Other than that, I have had ZERO problems with the WS100's. I have 9 of them installed here. They mostly turn on and off the circuit for LIFX bulbs, but 3 of them run bedroom ceiling fans.
                      I reflashed the switch that was randomly turning on and all is good again. I will try it on the one I just took out that is clicking.

EDIT -> Spoke too soon. Randomly turning on still.
                      Michael

Comment

That's what I experienced. Though, lately it's working fine... WTF???

Comment

I've had this problem a number of times. It begins with the switch occasionally turning on or off by itself or "bouncing" from on to off then on again when you first turn on the switch. It gets progressively worse until the switch enters a state where it just keeps flipping on-off. I read a post about it at one time and, apparently, its caused by a failing relay control component. I'd recommend keeping a spare switch on hand so you can just swap it out when it (inevitably) fails. I've started to change my switches to dimmers when they fail - the dimmers seem less problematic.

Comment

I have had several of these switches fail on me. Today several more just failed immediately following a power outage. When the system came back on with power restore, most switches are working fine, but the failed ones will not even allow me to manually turn the lights on or off.

Comment

I have had a handful (5 or 6) fail since end of February. All were added around the same time but get very different usage. So, I'm wondering if there is something internal to the switch (relay, etc) that since it's been energized for a couple of years is beginning to fail. It's been pretty frustrating.

EDIT:

Just did some more troubleshooting. I checked when each switch last communicated with the controller. It was all on the same day there was a power outage. So, I shut all the power again to these switches and let them stay without power for about 10 minutes. They now appear to be working properly again. Hmmmmmm....

Comment

Working...
                              X