Disable Dimming on WD200+?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disable Dimming on WD200+?

Cliff Notes: Can paddle push and hold dimming up or down be disabled on the WD200?

I have installed a WD200 in a room that has Sylvaina Lightify recessed lighting. These lights are Zigbee controlled for anything beyond on/off, which is OK with me. I wanted the 7 LED lights for status mode of the WD200 verses the WS200.

I have found that my child (just now able to reach it) or unknowing guests always find a way to push and hold the paddle down putting the lights in to a disconnected state (flashing party mode as one guest called it) with the Zigbee hub. As a result I have to reconnect them, reconfigure any scenes I have setup in the Lightify App. I do have the HS Zigbee plugin running but the communication between HS -> Lightify -> Zigbee Hub -> lights is too slow for normal everyday on/off usage. I've already changed the on/off ramp rate to as instant as possible to avoid issues with just switch on/off function.

TIA

I was wondering if you ever found an answer to this question.

Comment

That's an interesting idea. I hope an answer is received on this. It would be nice to use those switches in a "dumb" mode purely as a notification system / scene controller and be able to use smart bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
        That's an interesting idea. I hope an answer is received on this. It would be nice to use those switches in a "dumb" mode purely as a notification system / scene controller and be able to use smart bulbs.
        John, what would be the use case here? Why bypass z-wave control in the switch only to add it back at the bulb? Am I missing your point?
        -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
          John, what would be the use case here? Why bypass z-wave control in the switch only to add it back at the bulb? Am I missing your point?
          He's not trying to bypass the z-wave control, he wants to disable the phase-cut dimming action of the physical switch. If you have ZigBee/z-wave bulbs in the sockets that are attached to your dimmer, and the dimmer goes to low, those bulbs won't have enough power to stay on/connected. Then your lights don't work.

A work around could be to bypass the switch in the circuit, but then your light socket is permanently live unless you hit the breaker. And I doubt that would be considered legal, especially in areas with Edison screw sockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
            He's not trying to bypass the z-wave control, he wants to disable the phase-cut dimming action of the physical switch. If you have ZigBee/z-wave bulbs in the sockets that are attached to your dimmer, and the dimmer goes to low, those bulbs won't have enough power to stay on/connected. Then your lights don't work.

A work around could be to bypass the switch in the circuit, but then your light socket is permanently live unless you hit the breaker. And I doubt that would be considered legal, especially in areas with Edison screw sockets.
            I guess maybe I'm just being thick, but I don't understand why you'd have ZigBee or z-wave bulbs on a circuit controlled by a z-wave dimmer. Unless--aha!--maybe you have multiple lamp sockets on a single switch and you want to control them separately. Now maybe I'm catching up with you...
            -Wade

Comment

I'm thinking of other non z-wave bulbs.

For instance. I have LIFX bulbs and I use Pico remotes with the Caseta plugin to turn them on/off and I can map the up/down and favorite button to color change, dim return to last etc. These are in lamps currently.

However if I could have the same type functionality of a z-wave switch that was just on/off and a scene controller functionality with the dimming turned off then I could replace my z-wave switches in lets say dining room with these new switches.

Here's why. It is absolutely guaranteed that someone will turn the light switch OFF rendering a smart bulb useless. Which is why it's just not great to have "smart bulbs" in a fixture with a switch. If I could have a z-wave switch that would "work" with a smart bulb... ahh the switch would never be off because I would have an event turn it right back on the second it was flipped off And most smart bulbs when "off" if they get a power event like a switch being turned on they will turn on.

Then the scene controller functions could be mapped to perform the dimming or color changes.

I know I could put a relay behind a switch to do the on/off but where's the scene control features?

Comment

Comment

Don't have any HS dimmers or switches and hadn't realized the WS200+ only has one LED. Makes sense in terms of traditional dimmer LED display, but I agree that fully configurable annunciation like the WD200+ only makes sense. You're right it is a shortcoming that could be easily overcome with a mod to the WD200+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
                  -Wade

Comment

I changed my garage lights over to 4 foot LEDs (from incandescent). I just went into the device Z-Wave tab and changed ramp rates for local and remote control to 0.

You can also set events for the controllers central scene to ensure that it is always 100% or 0%.

Comment

Originally posted by pugsly View Post
                      I changed my garage lights over to 4 foot LEDs (from incandescent). I just went into the device Z-Wave tab and changed ramp rates for local and remote control to 0.

You can also set events for the controllers central scene to ensure that it is always 100% or 0%.
                      Sounds like the solution that effectively disables "dimmer" functions. Hmm..

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                        Sounds like the solution that effectively disables "dimmer" functions. Hmm..
                        I think the simplest way would be to add a few parameters.
                        • Dimming Disable: 0= dimming enabled, 1= dimming disabled (any value greater than 0 turns on circuit to 100%).
                        • Output always ON: 0= Output under control of switch and Z-Wave, 1= Output always on and 2= Output always off.

Before you ask why the second setting it's so you can run power through the dimmer so you can use the AirGap switch when you have to change a bulb. It also let's you turn off the circuit using a parameter if really needed although it's not likely you would have to.

Once you have the ability to turn off dimming the dimmer should work for any device that can't dim just as a switch does now. There may be some devices that will still have issues but the list it rather short.
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                        Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                        3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                        4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                        3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                        SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                          I think the simplest way would be to add a few parameters.
                          • Dimming Disable: 0= dimming enabled, 1= dimming disabled (any value greater than 0 turns on circuit to 100%).
                          • Output always ON: 0= Output under control of switch and Z-Wave, 1= Output always on and 2= Output always off.

Before you ask why the second setting it's so you can run power through the dimmer so you can use the AirGap switch when you have to change a bulb. It also let's you turn off the circuit using a parameter if really needed although it's not likely you would have to.

Once you have the ability to turn off dimming the dimmer should work for any device that can't dim just as a switch does now. There may be some devices that will still have issues but the list it rather short.
                          As usual, +1 for your ideas.

Comment

I try. Must be the engineer in me.
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                            Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                            Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                            3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                            4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                            3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                            SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by pugsly View Post

I'd like to see the ability to disable dimming as well. I use the WD-100 version. I can't set ramp rate to 0 (won't allow me to set it), so it's set to 1, with a step of 99. I still have guests that manage to put it into "disco lights" mode as they call it.
                              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
                              X