Disable Dimming on WD200+?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timon View Post
    I think the simplest way would be to add a few parameters.
    • Dimming Disable: 0= dimming enabled, 1= dimming disabled (any value greater than 0 turns on circuit to 100%).
    • Output always ON: 0= Output under control of switch and Z-Wave, 1= Output always on and 2= Output always off.

Before you ask why the second setting it's so you can run power through the dimmer so you can use the AirGap switch when you have to change a bulb. It also let's you turn off the circuit using a parameter if really needed although it's not likely you would have to.

Once you have the ability to turn off dimming the dimmer should work for any device that can't dim just as a switch does now. There may be some devices that will still have issues but the list it rather short.
    Timon, bullet point one would be the ticket! So it seems, there currently is not a way to disable the dimming functionality and purely be a on/off switch on the physical switch (single up or single down push).

I apologize I posted and then was MIA for the conversation. As mentioned and pretty much discussed, the Zigbee lights being controlled are recessed can lights (that are white color temp/dim/RGB LED bulbs). I am not that worried about their use through homeseer (even though I'm using the Zigbee/Lightify plugin and its slow due to cloud interface with the lights) as I can just use it's app to control them/run their scenes when desired.

If these features are of some interest and seem to have the potential for broad use, how does one suggest/discuss this with those who control the FW development? Forgive me, I am fairly new to homeseer beyond just poking around, adding devices, and messing with some events.

Comment

I have the following setup:

WD200+ -> Smart Things -> Philips Hue Hub -> Philips Hue Lights

I am using this DeviceHandler to control the WD200+:

https://github.com/DarwinsDen/SmartT...-dimmer.groovy

It all works. I can use the dimmer to turn off/on my Hue lights and I can use double-clicks, etc, to enable scenes.

That said, I want to turn off all physical load capabilities (on/off and dim) and only use the switch as a Z-Wave controller. It sounds like your suggestion above might help to address that, but what you are speaking of adding a few parameters, what do you mean? Is this to the firmware, something that only HomeSeer could do or is this something I could add to my HS-WD200+ DeviceHandler to prevent single-paddle clicks and paddle holds from turning on/off/dimming using load?

I'm guessing it's the firmware parameters, found on page 4 here:
      https://homeseer.com/wp-content/uplo...0-Manual-4.pdf

Any idea on who I have to bribe to get this feature added?

Thanks!

Comment

I second the need to turn off dimming, to facilitate use with non-dimmable loads like; ceiling fans, non-dimmable lighting, etc.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by leojhartiv View Post
          That said, I want to turn off all physical load capabilities (on/off and dim) and only use the switch as a Z-Wave controller.
          I know this is late to the party, but why not just leave the load wire unconnected? That is what I do on one of my WD200 switches. It therefore just acts like a controller and status display (through the LEDs).

Comment

What many want to do is used a WD200 as a controller for Z-Wave, WiFi or other such bulbs that will be installed downstream from the WD200. The reason they want to connect to the load is so they can use the AirGap switch whenever they need to remove a bulb from that circuit without having to turn off the breaker.

If the WD200 was turned on full it will drive any type of load. It's only when you start to dim does the type of load matter.

There are other things I'd like to see done but I think that one really needs to do a dedicated controller. It could still look like a WD200 but it could have much more smarts. In some respects it would look more like a controller than a node. That way you could program it to control several groups of lights. You could then select which groups then have full dimming control over that group. An example is a room that has lots of recessed lighting. You could install all Z-Wave devices and then control them in groups.
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
            Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
            3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
            4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
            3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
            SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Timon, I was responding to leojhartiv, who wanted all physical load capabilities disabled. What you said is prboably true for most of the WD200 owners, though.

Personally, I think the WD200 makes a poor controller. Having to remember how many times to tap the switch to accomplish a task is not easy to remember, and unsable for those who are unfamiliar with the setup. I use my WD200 less as a controller than as a small status board, utilizing those 7 LED colored lights.

But if one is serious about having a controller and status board, getting a tablet running a customzied HS Touch application is a much better solution. Probably more work than most are willing to do though.

Comment

Dimming would probably be the higher priority item, as you indicated. Timon has the use cases down pretty well. I like the idea of having a fallback (load) to cut power. I could disconnect the load, but is that something that would violate an inspection or would be considered unsafe?

Comment

Working...
                X