WD200+ Dimmer Status Lights Work - Lights Not Turning On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD200+ Dimmer Status Lights Work - Lights Not Turning On

I have several brand new WD200+. All have been working fine for several weeks except one. Today, when I turn on the switch, the dimmer lights sequence to the set point but the lights do not turn on. While troubleshooting I replaced one of the new 11 Watt LED bulbs with another new 11 Watt LED bulb and still nothing. Any ideas what could be going wrong?

I had a similar problem with a WD100. All the paddle indicator LEDs showed it was working and the wiring to the post were all correct. It turned out, however, that despite the LEDs showing it was powered, power was not being delivered to the Load screw. I suggest testing with a volt meter for this. I was able to get mine replaced and all was then fine. So don't assume you did anything wrong - it could just be defective and a quick volt meter check may help answer that.

Comment

I have had a similar issue with two of the WD100 units – I validated power, then removed it to bench test it and still no power going out to the load. Had to replace it completely only to have the replacement fail two week later. I went back to a different vendor’s switch (which is where I started) and no issue for the past three weeks. Is there a return / warranty on the switches?

Comment

I'm curious, how many LED light bulbs did you have on the circuit with that dimmer?

Because I've run in to a very similar situation, where my dimmers stopped providing power to the lights, even though the led lights and z-wave functionality was still working.

I've had 3 WD200+'s die on me within a few days of installing.. and they were all installed on the same room, which had multiple light bulbs being controlled by a single dimmer (5 BR30s to be specific).

Initially I had five CFL BR30s, and the WD200+ died after a few days. I thought perhaps it's the CFL, so I got new LED Lights.
        Then I installed five Philips 11W LED BR30s, and installed a new WD200+, which also died. Then I tried yet ANOTHER, and that died within a few days too.

Interestingly enough, the WD200+s I've installed which control only a single light continue to work just fine (for both CFL and the LED).

---

My hypothesis on what's killing the dimmers is the inrush current when the lights are turned on. I think the inrush current spike of a single light bulb can be tolerated by these dimmers, but 5 just wont.

The product page for WD200+ says the dimmers can handle 600W Incandescence or 150W LED/CFL, and I imagine the lower for LED/CFL is to tolerate a certain inrush. But with multiple bulbs on the same dimmers, I imagine the inrush current a lot higher, killing the dimmer.

Comment

These switches have a one year warranty so you can put in an email to support@homeseer.com to get them replaced.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

150W for LED would suggest at least 15 using < 10 watt LED bulbs. Based on what is being stated here, they don't appear to handle that many lights.

So, what are we to think?

One year warranty is ok, but we certainly do not want to continuously pull out the switch and replace it. Gets old after a while.
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

I installed 24 WD200 dimmers in my house. One of them was showing the same exact issue as described above but it was intermittent. At times the light would turn on, others not. The fixture was a ceiling fan with 3 older 60W equivalent LED bulbs. Given the 1500 lumens were not enough, I modified the ceiling fan by installing a 2200 lumens LED light kit. In the process I eliminated the fan's speed control switch (no need when using it with FC200) and the silly current limiter for the bulbs which has very little sense when all the bulbs are LED. I don't know with absolute certainty whether the current limiter was the issue or the bulbs, but after my mod the same dimmer has been working just fine.

Comment

I've been installing WD200+ dimmers all throughout my house. So far I have 10 installed. One particular circuit in my kitchen controls three ceiling light fixtures, in which I have three 60W-equivalent LED bulbs. I got a WD200+ installed and it worked fine for a while, but then at one point the bulbs flickered and went out. Same symptoms as in this thread, the status LEDs work fine, it's controllable over Z-Wave, the works. The lights just don't turn on.

So I figured it was a defective dimmer and I installed a new WD200+ (sent the first one back to Amazon). The same thing happened again. Only on this one particular circuit, though. Both times, I had the LED bulbs dimmed to about 30%, and both times they were on for some time before they flickered and went out.

The dimmer in question shares a wallbox (and thus a hot line) with another WD200+ controlling 7 LED bulbs, and it's working just fine.

Comment

I have 33 HS-WD200+ dimmers and 28 HS-WD100+ dimmers installed in my house. So far I have not had any hardware problems with these dimmers. The highest LED load I have on any single dimmer is 8 Phillips PAR38 14w LEDs (total load 112w). I do have a HS-WS100+ switch controlling a towel warmer that failed about a year ago. This switch failed when we were having a series of rapid power failures and restorations, and the replacement HS-WS100+ switch has worked fine since then. I have 1 HS-WS100+ and 8 HS-WS200+ switches that have been working without any hardware problems.

Dr. McKay, did you test the failing dimmer on another circuit to see if it was still failing? Also, did you try resetting the dimmer? Two of my HS-WD200+ dimmers did not work correctly out of the box until I reset them.

Comment

I did not test either failing dimmer on a different circuit. I did try cutting and restoring power at the breaker, if that's what you're referring to by "reset".

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. McKay View Post
                      I did not test either failing dimmer on a different circuit. I did try cutting and restoring power at the breaker, if that's what you're referring to by "reset".
                      I was referring to the Manual Reset. I know it is a long shot, but if the dimmer is not physically damaged, it might restore normal operation. For the two new HS-WD200+ dimmers that I had to reset, one must have already been included in a network, but the other was not powering the load.

Comment

Just manual reset the switch and it's still not powering the load.

Comment

Dr. McKay - One of my WD200 dimmers died the same way. I had to replace it.

Coincidentally, I have another dimmer that will not dim the lights up or down but will turn them on/off. It is acting as a switch as far as I can tell. I did not have time yet to do troubleshooting so too early to say where the issue lies but I suspect it has to be the dimmer as I doubt the bulbs would be able to maintain their full output at a low dim setting.

Comment

Okay, so I had a dimmer die in that way, so I sent it back to Amazon and put a new WD200+ in its place. Then the replacement died.

Last week, the *other* WD200+ in the same wall box died, bringing the total up to 3. I replaced it with a WS200+ as I had a spare and I figure a WD200+ will just die again.

Comment

Has there been a resolution to this? This is pretty disappointing. I have a new construction going and 40 plus WD200+ switches were installed. Dimmers were installed 5 months ago or so. Originally they all worked fine but I noticed one or two the other day that were not turning the lights on (despite being powered and the LED indicators working fine). I walked around the house (after reading this post) and I now count over 7 dimmers with the same problem. Is this a problem that has been resolved with new production?

Comment

Working...
                              X