HS-WD200+ Minimum Dim Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-WD200+ Minimum Dim Level

Howdy, new around these parts. I just installed 5 HS-WD200+ dimmer switches, and the 1% brightness setting is still much too bright. Is there any way in software or firmware to adjust this? Old school dimmers used to have a little plastic screw adjustment to solve this problem. I would like to buy more and make my house all match, but definitely need 1% to be dimmer. All dimmers are on firmware 5.11 currently. I'm using dimmable LED bulbs from Feit, is it the bulbs? I'm thinking it may be, because if I put incandescents on the same switch they get much dimmer. If it's just the bulbs, any recommendations for led bulbs that get super dim?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated!

Firmware versions 5.11, 5.12 and 5.13 had a lower dim level option, but both 5.12 and 5.13 have been removed from distribution due to a bug. I don't recall seeing 5.11 separately. Yours should have 5.10 installed which doesn't have that feature. You will need to wait until HS releases a new firmware release with the low dimming threshold. If yours happens to have 5.11 installed, look under Z-Wave settings for "Low Dimming Threshold (firmware 5.11 or later)". It is a subtle difference, but they do dim to a lower level.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Firmware versions 5.11, 5.12 and 5.13 had a lower dim level option, but both 5.12 and 5.13 have been removed from distribution due to a bug. I don't recall seeing 5.11 separately. Yours should have 5.10 installed which doesn't have that feature. You will need to wait until HS releases a new firmware release with the low dimming threshold. If yours happens to have 5.11 installed, look under Z-Wave settings for "Low Dimming Threshold (firmware 5.11 or later)". It is a subtle difference, but they do dim to a lower level.
      Thanks for the quick reply. I am using SmartThings and it says HomeSeer Technologies Firmware V5.11 when I open the device screen for one of the dimmers. I don't see anything about low dimming threshold under the "gear" settings for a dimmer, and the "configure" box/button does nothing. Is there something I'm missing or need to install?

Comment

It will be a Z-Wave parameter. I don't know how SmartThings handles Z-Wave parameters. You might contact HomeSeer support tomorrow and ask if they know.

Comment

After poking around in the Device Handler code for a few minutes, I was able to create a new toggle in the SmartThings app that changes parameter 5 (Low dimming threshold) to true/false.

I'm happy to report that it works! 1% is now definitely dimmer! Some of my bulbs flicker now at 1% or do not turn on until 2%, so YMMV, but the bulbs I planned to use work great.

Also, for anyone trying to achieve this type of super dim look, I recommend the Philips "Warm Glow" LED retrofit cans, they look much dimmer/warmer/yellow than other LEDs I've tried.

I'm attaching the code for the modified device type in case anyone else wants to use it.
          hs-wd200+superdim.txt

Thanks Randy for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

I'm glad I was able to help. This is a great community!

Comment

Working...
            X