How to Keep WD200+ Companions in Sync?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Keep WD200+ Companions in Sync?

I have a pair of WD200+ dimmers in a hallway working as 3-way switches (companions) using Group 2 Associations (no traveler wire). I also have a motion sensor to automatically turn on the hall light to the last dim level if I enter at night.

Everything works great when either switch is controlled manually. The other switch follows the one being pressed - the LEDs move in tandem. And both switches remember the last dim level regardless of which switch was used to set the dim level.

But, I'm having 2 problems when the lights are controlled by my motion event.

First, when my event senses motion, it turns on the WD200+ with the load. This works fine, but the LEDs on the remote WD200+ do not light up and follow along. Is there some way for the remote WD200+ to stay in sync when the load WD200+ is controlled by my motion event?

Second, when the last dim level was set manually using the remote WD200+, the motion event fails to use that last dim level. Is there some way to make my motion event use the last dim level regardless of which dimmer was used to set the last dim level?

I’m happy to add to my events. But I know there are frequently multiple ways to make things work. So, I’m looking for the best/preferred way to solve my 2 problems.

I probably cannot help, but it might be good to see your events if you could post them.

Comment

Here's what my events look like. First is the event that turns on the hall light with motion.

IF Hallway Motion Sensor changes and becomes Motion Detected
      AND IF Dusk-Dawn has a value equal to Nighttime
      THEN Remove Delayed Device Actions for: Hallway Load Dimmer
      THEN Set Hallway Load Dimmer to Last

And here's the event that turns the hall light off with no motion.

IF Hallway Motion Sensor changes and becomes No Event
      THEN Remove Delayed Device Actions for: Hallway Load Dimmer
      THEN Set Device Hallway Load Dimmer to Off after a delay of 5 Minutes

You'll notice that I do not do anything in the events with the Hallway Remote Dimmer, which is the WD200+ companion.

Comment

I have not used two WD200's in this configuration as of yet, however I would handle this by adding an extra line to each event to also control the companion dimmer. Alternatively, and perhaps more elegantly, you can also link the companion dimmer to the load dimmer. This function is located on the device configuration tab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	link device.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1287650

it would be interesting to see what other thoughts people have
        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
        Number of Devices: 1005
        Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Here's a video that explains linking.

HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
          Number of Devices: 1005
          Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Thanks jmaddox. I've not tried Linking for 2 reasons. I've seen some posts where people were advised NOT to use Linking. And I guess I don't fully understand the difference between Linking and Group 2 Associations? Where should one use Linking vs Group 2 Associations? Is it OK to use both at the same time? If I Link the 2 dimmers, should I remove the Group 2 Associations?

Comment

I use WD200+ as 3 way switches and it works fine. I much prefer Group 2 associations over linking. I had an issue in the past where linking caused my lights to go on and off rapidly on their own. Make sure the load switch has a Group 2 with the slave switch and visa versa.

Comment

As I understand it, if you use the Group 2 association feature in the WD200+ to associate Dimmer #1 and Dimmer #2, then during a manual adjustment of Dimmer #1 you will simultaneously see Dimmer #2 adjust. However, the association feature only applies when there is a manual action at the dimmer - if you are adjusting the dimmers remotely, you have to have HomeSeer to adjust them both so they appear in sync. On the other hand, if you use the HomeSeer "Linking" feature, then if you manually adjust Dimmer #1, you won't see any change to Dimmer #2 until you complete the Dimmer #1 adjustment - i.e., the linked to device (Dimmer #2) is adjusted following the adjustment of Dimmer #1, not simultaneous with Dimmer #1.

Comment

It can not hurt to use both in this case.

Comment

I have several sets of WD-200 dimmers in multi-way configurations using Group 2 association and linking. Works perfect. I don't think you can keep the GUI and the LEDs in sync without it. I am pretty sure there are a few posts on the subject.

Comment

My issue was when I had three switches and one of them was a WD100+. I do not have any issues with 2 WD200+ switche (Group 2 and Linking).

Comment

Originally posted by silverton38 View Post
                        My issue was when I had three switches and one of them was a WD100+. I do not have any issues with 2 WD200+ switche (Group 2 and Linking).
                        The Wx-100 dimmers and switches do not support association groups. They have been discontinued.

Comment

My issue was using Linking between the WD100+ (load) and two WD200+ (slaves). The light went on and off rapidly on occasion. I did could not use Group 2 because the WD100 was not compatible.

Comment

Working...
                          X