How To: Retrofit a 3-Way Circuit for HS-WD200+ and HS-WA100+ Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Retrofit a 3-Way Circuit for HS-WD200+ and HS-WA100+ Switches

In the below wiring examples the power source (line) is coming into the HS-WD200+ electrical box and the HS-WA100+ is located downstream from the light fixtures.
    If your power source (line) is coming into a light fixture or coming into the HS-WA100+ electrical box then a different wiring pattern would be necessary.

The depicted wiring will allow you to retrofit an existing 3-way circuit without adding additional wires between fixtures or electrical boxes.
    You will need access to both switch boxes as well as the light fixture directly up stream from the HS-WA100+ electrical box.
    Please consult an electrician if you have trouble identifying the type of wiring circuit you have.

Some important notes about the HS-WD200+ and HS-WA100+ working together:
    • HS-WD200+
      • NEUTRAL wire is required as it connects constant power to the HS-WD200+ switch
      • TRAVELER wire is required directly from the HS-WD200+ to the HS-WA100+ for signaling
      • LINE and LOAD wires are required to supply switched power to the lights
      • The LOAD wire coming out of the HS-WD200+ must bypass the other 3-way switch and supply power directly to the lights. This is because the HS-WD200+ is a stand alone switch and only takes signals from other HS-WA100+ switch. You are re-wiring the LOAD as if this is now a single pole circuit
    • HS-WA100+
      • NEUTRAL wire is required as it connects constant power to the HS-WA100+ switch. if you don't have it, you may be able to re-purpose an existing wire to act as your NEUTRAL wire as depicted below
      • TRAVELER wire is required directly from the HS-WD200+ to the HS-WA100+ for signaling
      • NO LINE or LOAD should be wired to the HS-WA100+. The HS-WA100+ will not control an electrical load as it is only used to signal the HS-WD200+
    Standard 3-Way Wiring Diagram (before installing Homeseer):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard_3-Way_Wiring_Diagram.png
Views:	20733
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	1348268

Identifying what needs to change (blue dotted lines):

Name:	Standard_3-Way_Wiring_Diagram_changes.png
Views:	3160
Size:	621.4 KB
ID:	1348269

New Retrofit 3-Way Wiring for HS-WD200+ and HS-WA100+:

Name:	HS-WD200_Wiring_Diagram.png
Views:	2958
Size:	621.7 KB
ID:	1348270
    Last edited by funkflexpr; December 20, 2019, 12:23 AM. Reason: Added higher resolution images

Great write up and diagram this really helped me.

I have a 3 way controlling in my kitchen controlling 6 can lights. Took me a little while to find out that the 12/3 for the 3 way is ran uninterrupted between the 2 switches. The 12/2 for the load to the lights is wired in the one of the gang boxes. Not sure how common that is, took me taking apart all 6 can lights to realize what was going on.

Comment

Working...
    X