X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC1
    replied
    Originally posted by avpman View Post

I'm adding more LED cans to my new home. I'd be interested to know what you have found. Thanks!
    This is one of my goto sites for hard to find / better quality bulbs. I haven't shopped in a while (hey, once you install a LED you're done for at least a decade) but it seems like prices have dropped on even the better quality bulbs. I think I need to start replacing my outdoor bulbs which are still traditional halogen (since they can be dimmed well).

https://www.1000bulbs.com/

Leave a comment:

• vasrc
    replied
    Just tested my Halo can replacements with a GE/Jasco dimmer and they go down to 1% with no flickering (although you can barely tell they're lit).
    Had good luck with the HS WD dimmers as well. I exclusively use Halo now (with the selectable temp setting)
    You can get flickering due to the LED and the dimmer.. You have to get both right.
    Also think (haven't tested it), you may have issues with some dimmers if you have both LED and incandescent on the same dimmer.

Z

Leave a comment:

• avpman
    replied
    Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Well, I have a different experience. There are some high quality LED bulbs but you don't usually find them in the big box stores, and yes, they do cost more and have a higher CRI.
    I'm adding more LED cans to my new home. I'd be interested to know what you have found. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Originally posted by avpman View Post
    I have found that even the better LED lamps don't dim lower than 30% regardless of the dimmer used. In fact, I set my UPB dimmers to limit the low end to 30%
    Well, I have a different experience. There are some high quality LED bulbs but you don't usually find them in the big box stores, and yes, they do cost more and have a higher CRI.

Leave a comment:

• avpman
    replied
    I have found that even the better LED lamps don't dim lower than 30% regardless of the dimmer used. In fact, I set my UPB dimmers to limit the low end to 30%

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Your problem is not the bulbs but the WD200+, they are simply terrible dimmers. While you get the gee-whiz color LED indicators, but they can't dim below 6.5%, while every other decent Z-wave dimmer in market has a full 1 - 99% range. First and foremost IMO the dimmer should dim properly, since that is what you'll be using/experiencing everyday.

Leave a comment:

• avpman
    replied
    Originally posted by bhollehday View Post
    Does anyone know of retrofit LED cans that dim to 1% and dont flicker with the WD200? I have these but they flicker when dim:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Might want to give these a try. The doc says "inline" but be careful, it is further explained that they wire across (in parallel) to the load. They are available on various online sites and under different brands.

http://www.pcslighting.com/pulseworx/products/tools/ilr

Leave a comment:

• SteveW
    replied
    In my experience over the decades dating back to Feit Electric's incandescent bulbs and CFLs, they have always been absolute garbage -- failing early in their supposed lifespan, or not dimming properly. I guess I never learn, but I tried either those or a similar model, and their dim performance with a WD200+ was terrible. It stayed at relatively high brightness all the way down to suddenly flickering near the bottom of the range

The problem is, the can light market has been abandoned by the higher-quality brands, because the cheapo generic ones' low cost made it unprofitable. The cheapo products have poor quality current drivers/regulators. I bought six of these: amazon.com/gp/product/B01N685Y0X and they dim very smoothly until about 15%, at which they flicker a bit. I haven't found any better ones still being manufactured.

Leave a comment:

• bhollehday
    started a topic Retro Fit LED Can's that dim to 1% without flickering

Retro Fit LED Can's that dim to 1% without flickering

Does anyone know of retrofit LED cans that dim to 1% and dont flicker with the WD200? I have these but they flicker when dim:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Working...
X