No announcement yet.

WS200+ with 118vac out from neutral.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the insight, I do use either breakers or switches to safety the circuit then use a non contact tester to verify there is no voltage. I think I only tested the black wire not neutral... Not sure.

My scenario is still not identical to your diagram because there was no light or load attached to the switch in the final tests. It was only line in and testing the neutral to ground or building neutral. To me it does not seem like there should be a live circuit until I tell the switch to close a circuit, that is the point of a switch.

I suspect that the issue here is that the internal circuitry is the load because it is on all the time. Thank you for bringing this to light for me, I learned something new.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanb View Post
      Thank you for the insight, I do use either breakers or switches to safety the circuit then use a non contact tester to verify there is no voltage. I think I only tested the black wire not neutral... Not sure.

My scenario is still not identical to your diagram because there was no light or load attached to the switch in the final tests. It was only line in and testing the neutral to ground or building neutral. To me it does not seem like there should be a live circuit until I tell the switch to close a circuit, that is the point of a switch.

I suspect that the issue here is that the internal circuitry is the load because it is on all the time. Thank you for bringing this to light for me, I learned something new.
      You're welcome. And yes, the switch is an "always on" load because current is required to power its internal electronics (the Z-wave radio and so on). I learn new stuff on this forum all the time.

Comment

Working...
      X